New record carp in North Dakota

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
A Tappen man now has bragging rights for the largest carp in North Dakota.
The North Dakota Game and Fish Department says Derek Barnick shot this 31 pound, 9 ounce common carp with a bow and arrow at Lake Etta-Alkaline April 21.
The fish beat the old record by 9 ounces held by Austin Loberg of Thompson.
Loberg reeled that one in from the Sheyenne River in 2003.

carp.jpg

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does using a bow qualify as state record, or is there 2 record categories "hook n line" or "bow/spear"

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Appears to have qualified for a state record and beat one caught by hook and line.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
New goal in life: State record carp with a fly rod. Not to hijack but I feel it's a good thread for a carp related psa. As someone who loves pursuing carp while recognizing that they're a prolific breeding invasive species, I have zero beef with bow fishermen. We're chasing the same high, just with different gear. But please don't leave them rotting on the bank next to your spitter and what appears to be a used wad of TP. Needless to say this stunk to high heaven and pissed me off something fierce. No tolerance for slobs of any kind IMG_3316.jpg

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does using a bow qualify as state record, or is there 2 record categories "hook n line" or "bow/spear"
One record, but it has an asterisk stating it was taken with bow. NDGF records are already updated with this new one.

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I've heard of many carp being bigger than this one. One specifically up to 38lbs. I just don't think people care enough about the fish to get into the record books or they don't care to keep track of what a potential state record may be. I don't like carp and I plan to shoot them with the bow someday, but Fly Carpin' said it best.... At least clean up your mess. Take them back and use them for fertilizer or just throw them in your local dump (I think that's legal?).

One thing I can't complain about was catching a 12lb carp on a 5' ultra light dead stick using 6lb test. Made for a helluva fight.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
A thirty plus pound carp isn't really all that uncommon in ND. When I commercial fished back in the 80s, I would see quite a few in the 30 category. And yes...those would have been on a commercial scale since we packed we would have to weigh out 100 lbs of fish per box.

Audubon has probably the best chance of routinely running into carp well over 20 lbs. We fished the hell out of that lake and even had permission back then to use the refuge's boat ramp.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
God I love me some carp slayin'! Haven't done it for years. Here's my PB shot about six years ago: 36 pounds. 'Sota fish so no record. Just a big, fat, egg-layin som'bich.

Big Carp.jpg

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well that sucks! here in Mn our state does'nt regonize rough fish unless caught hook-in-line,our largest shot is 85lbs common carp,all fired up as we thought we had the record,DNR came out to inspect and aged the fish,52'L 34"g shut us down for the record and aged the fish@100yrs old,had scales the size of a silver dollar.MPB is 55lbs and another@53lbs moocho fish in the 20-30lb class,all fish we take are donated to the asian shops in little saigon in st paul,they love'em.

arrowdem

Founding Member
Founding Member
10460754_10100983248174865_6386700892958524135_n.jpg

this big fat one was on hook and line too with walleye gear 8lbs test on a medium light rod if my memory serves me right, not a common carp but it was fun reeling in some line on something trying to pull me off the shore

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
You're supposed to wear cut off jeans and an Old Milwaukee hat when you rough fish. What's this fancy plaid business?

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Arrow,that be a buffalo fish,europeans prize these fish like we prize walleye as they put up a hellofa fight,all catch and release,.me I choose to kill'em all with my bow,they still put up a great fight on the end of my arrow and 200lb line attached to a quick release rig,infact the rig has a brake to slow the run otherwise major rope burn.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
All species of buffalo (Ictiobus ​genus) are native to North America. There are records of attempts to stock both the bigmouth and smallmouth buffalo in Europe, but they didn't take. They prize the common carp in Europe

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Arrow,that be a buffalo fish,europeans prize these fish like we prize walleye as they put up a hellofa fight,all catch and release,.me I choose to kill'em all with my bow,they still put up a great fight on the end of my arrow and 200lb line attached to a quick release rig,infact the rig has a brake to slow the run otherwise major rope burn.

Pics?!?!

arrowdem

Founding Member
Founding Member
You're supposed to wear cut off jeans and an Old Milwaukee hat when you rough fish. What's this fancy plaid business?
had to get all dressed up, was at a family reunion trying to find me a good life long mate and decided to check out the ole fishin hole while the Grandma D was being arrested for drunk in public and disorderly conduct!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77