Outboard freeze up?

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a Yamaha F200 and fish a lot in the late fall. I always drain the motor down fully at the end of the day, full tilt down. I start it for a few seconds as well. Even still, sometimes the next morning I don't get water out of the pee hole. It takes a long, long time to get the motor warmed up enough to get water going again. There is a line that runs in the bottom of the cowling, around the back of the powerhead, that has a fitting in it. I've taken it apart and it is frozen in that line. Anyone have this same issue? I don't know that it is a huge deal, but it does cause me some anxiety until I get warmed up and water flowing. Thoughts? Thanks!

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Do not ever start the motor without the lower unit in the water or with muffs on pushing water. You are only damaging the impeller running it dry.

I run my Yamahas in sub-freezing temps many days per year and have not had a problem as long as motors are trimmed down to drain before trailering home. Yamaha four strokes have a weak tell tale stream at idle so it's normal to not see one right away.

Last edited:

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
we had the same thing happen last weekend on a 300 Verado. Time stood still waiting for that damn thing to start pissing...

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do not ever start the motor without the lower unit in the water or with muffs on pushing water. You are only damaging the impeller running it dry.

I run my Yamahas in sub-freezing temps many days per year and have not had a problem as long as motors are trimmed down to drain before trailering home. Yamaha four strokes have a weak tell tale stream at idle so it's normal to not see one right away.

My Yamaha dealer when asked about this told me to run them for a few seconds when full down to try to pull that last bit out. I questioned them on the water pump and they said a short amount of time like that is not a big deal (less than 10 seconds) as there is still residual water lubricating the parts. Right or wrong? I don't know, but that is what they told me. It's hasn't changed the freeze up though.

And this isn't just the Yamaha slow to pee thing. That is normal, this isn't. I can literally idle for 15 minutes with no water coming out. Usually by then the flow starts and off I can go. It's hard to build temp at idle in sub 40 degree water I guess. I have had many people say run it normal (full speed) and it will clear out quicker, but I really don't like the thought of issues away from the dock in cold temps. So I wait.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just forget about it until it alarms for over temp. If your not getting an over temp your fine.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wonder if a shot of compressed air back up the pee hole would help, push that water back into a jacket that has more volume, obvious risk is that the area the water goes to is also a small space. or go the other way and pull a vacuum on it.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep Optimax 200 up at Tobin Late fall at 10° sometimes close to 15 mins before would pee. Just idled around docking area until it started as we were traveling about 8 miles down river and didn't want to take the chance. Live wells were done also after day 1. Sprayed bunks down with Pam cooking spray after unloading, otherwise boat was froze down.Old Alaska fellow told us that trick.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74