packing a bird mount

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
Now that we have a house and not in a little trailer, we have room for a few more things. Wife n kids are in Ohio and my wife is going to rent a tailer and bring stuff back. I have a few duck mounts and a pheasant I would like to have back on the walls. Wondering if and how any of you guys have packed up mounts for a move or to ship. Thinking covering with a bag and then boxing and filling with the cursed shipping peanuts. Thanks!

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
When the Navy moved my family and I to Florida and then to Lima Peru South America, they packed and then stored my mounts in wooden crates. The mounts were screwed to the bottoms or the sides of the crates. All the mounts survived both moves and the storage with zero damage. Having them travel from Fargo to Jacksonville Florida, then be stored for 3 years, and then travel from Florida back to Fargo isn't to bad. The crates were made from 2X4 frames and 1X6's held together with 2 inch wood screws. Good Luck in your move.

Frosty....

Founding Member
Founding Member
Agree with KDM, you are better off with wooden crates for your mounts. When I moved from ND to AK in 2012 all of my mounts were in-cased in crates and wrapped in plastic wrap. They all made the trip with no issues. My mallard was shipped last year from Grand Forks to AK and it was in a crate.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 116
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 69