Pittbull breed, what do you think?

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
We have a pitbull mix from a shelter, she's the most timid dog when it comes to strangers I've ever seen, she'll bark but cower back behind us if somebody she doesn't know comes around. She can be aggressive toward other dogs but gets along fine with our lab mix and cat. Certainly not a breed I'd recommend as a family pet but I wouldn't go so far as to say they need to be exterminated. Such as most animals it's more about the owners then the animal. Can't really blame the animal for what humans bred them for and how they are raised and treated.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a friend who farms on the Spirit Lake reservation. Walking from his barn to house one day four dogs come around the corner of the house and came for him with the evident intent of harm. When he lifted the gun he was carrying they kicked into high gear out of there. He has animals attacked. One night seven dogs chewed through a door and killed 200 rabbits. These are just mongrells that run nearly feral.

Another friends wife rescued an unknown pedigree from the animal shelter. They left him with me for a week. The dog and I got along great, but I could hardly hold him if anyone with a uniform came around. He definitely wanted to mangle them. He was a great hunter, but when they had their first child he had to be put down.

Last edited:

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Likely most dogs in the right hands can be kept moderately safely, BUT I strongly disagree that its often the owner that causes them to be aggressive, which is the most common narrative I hear from people defending dangerous breeds. They are inherently aggressive and dangerous and that can be reduced if trained properly, although I dont think that instinct can be eliminated.

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have a part Siamese cat that will whip the shit out of any dog that comes into the yard!!!

Had a plumber come over to the house when we were gone once and he called me stating, "I'm not getting in your house with that cat of yours".

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
2 takes on this breed. Physical traits: They are very powerful. I had to handle one for just a short walk and could not believe the power this dog had. Not to mention their jaw strength and how their jaw can lock. They have very dangerous abilities that are down right scary.

Take 2...Demeaner: From all I've heard they are no more mean than any other breed and owners always claim how docile their dog is. The ones I've seen are just that. But I'm not against banning the breed as there is no need to take the risk. Get a different breed that doesn't have the physical capabilities. They're nice dogs too. I've seen lion handlers handle their captive lions and they look docile too, but that doesn't mean the average Joe should own one.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
The jaw locking is a urban myth. I can go down the list of dogs normal lazy people should not own. It would include high drive sporting dogs. It makes me sick seeing all the fat labs and then to have these same idiots tell me my dog is skinny. The pet industry has ruined a lot of good breeds along with back yard breeder. Throw hounds in there to locked up as just a pet is just like crushing their spirit. I believe it come back to owner 99% of the time.

NG3067

★★ Legendary Member
Preferred breed of a drug dealer for some reason. I had my lab attacked by one and tore her ACL, had to take the owner to small claims court to cover the medical bills. His lawyer called me and I told him that I’m going to win, and if his client won’t pay, I’ll garnish his wages until he dies, and if he owes me .50 upon death and has it in his pocket I will dig up the coffin to collect. Got the check the next week.

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
For all the statistics and stories I’ve read, I have always just assumed that I should be leery of this dog breed more so than other dog breeds and I also should be leery of owners who specifically seek out this dog breed as their pet of choice.

I had the misfortune of having a couple with three pit bulls move in to a house 3 houses up the block from me a few years ago. He assured me that they were great dogs.

After three separate incidents, a half dozen visits from law enforcement, and one of the dogs being euthanized by order, it was convincing enough to me that my assumptions were correct and I will now forever have a prejudice against pit bulls and their owners.

I do understand that there are good and bad dogs of every breed. I also understand there are good and bad dog owners and good and bad people in general. That being said, I can’t unsee what I have seen. When I see a pit bull or a person with a pit bull, my stereotypes do resurface…right or wrong. I don’t trust them at all and I just keep my distance at that point.

Last edited:

NodakBob

Honored Member
Daughter adopted one that was gentle as can be...but i agree that when the breed gets agitated they can yield bad consequences. I would not want one.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Their inherent danger is in their bred capability.

When things go bad with an average dog bite it’s always a bad thing, but when they go sideways with dogs designed to take down large mammals, things go really really bad.

As with many things it’s a risk vs reward decision. No way I’d own one. Yikes.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Best way to describe these dogs, from what Ive read, which is fairly extensive at this point, is they are often great until they arent, which can be like a light switch being flipped. Its like they have a mental disorder of some sort... And once they go into kill mode its nearly impossible to turn it off without their consent, IE they quit attacking when they are ready to do so unless someone has the physical power to make them stop, which most people simply dont posses. Often they kill family members, children, other pets, and even their own owners. Shelters are overrun with them, because people get them and then realize they cannot control or deal with them, and instead of having the courage to put them down, pass their problem onto others. Often these others are young people who dont research or feel they saving an unfairly 'oppressed' breed, because "its not the dogs that are dangerous, its all environmental."

- - - Updated - - -

For anyone that owns one, or knows someone that owns one. Check with your home insurance, often policies exclude damages or injuries caused by specific breeds, and guess which breed is at the top of the list?

https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/insurance/home-insurance-pit-bull

Last edited:

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Learned and trained at 15 weeks old --- "nacken" this is not bread into a GSP --- however it can be learned. EOS

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I would never let one live around me or my family! Dogs have killed their owners on a whim of a dime! Not worth the risk

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My BIL’s brother has/had two. One was actually put down b/c of age last week. He’s a great dude, amputee war vet. Looks the part of owning a pit bull anyway. Has them as service dogs and he’s got them trained like they’re in the military. Very well behaved. He’s got two kids (7 and 5 ish) and they’re great with the kids. Now, I wouldn’t want to be around them while playing with the kids. My sister wouldn’t let them be around while her kids were playing with the kids either. Never knew when those dogs would mistake playing with the kids for harming them. They were still loose cannons and even for how well they were trained, each one had bit the owner bad at least once.

Bill Burr had a great bit going about his pit bull. His brand of comedy is pent up childhood anger. The second video he talks about how he unintentionally influenced his dog in becoming a psycho. It’s comedy, but it makes sense and there’s probably a good amount of truth to it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kTTq5S-vJ4I
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GnjGyOQ7FcU
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GoxIrm95E4Q

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Every so often I see pics of infants/toddlers laying on/with various pit bull breeds.

Parents brag that their "gentle dog" would never hurt their kids and that pits are unfairly labeled blah blah woke blah.

I get nauseous at both the pic and the thought that any parent could be that damn stupid.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
They are too unpredictable to me seen the good and bad. Wife was walking newfoundland one day and guy down road had one it came out so fast and newfoundland took off drug wife down ditch and fight was on. She came home told me what happened made trip to talk to him with pistol on my hip told him I was going to report to police he had other ideas I left dog took after me out on road lets says I emptied the clip on it and kept walking. End of Story. Police showed up had little talk never heard again. Told a few more people walking dogs if any issues their dog will be gone. Guess all my rage comes from when I was about 8 walking to pool by vet and Doberman bit me right next to ole dick, rabies shoots later and I will never forget. Out bird hunting many a friends dogs always trying to fight my dog got butt stock few times to head told them next time I will shoot it.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 119
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 96
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 70