Question on buying vehicle in Canada to bring to home state of ND

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anybody done this and what is all involved and price so far alot of paper work. They have no titles only registration cards, need import paper done, need damage form report for ND. Mileage report form. Sounds like some money involved?

Kasey

Founding Member
Founding Member
I purchased a pickup a few years ago. Safety and emission equipment had to comply with U.S. regulations. Mine had a passenger seatbelt warning light that had to be changed out to comply. Small cost $150. everything else passed. So in my case no hidden costs, just the headaches of finding out what forms needed and getting them completed. Got a good deal was the reason I pursued it. The kilometer speedometer is my only complaint.

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Im meeting my Canadian gm dealer salesman at the border this coming Thursday to get my 6.2 gmc.
I called GM Canada and recieved a compliance letter even though the epa and dot stickers on the truck also confirm that. Called the US border crossing and talked with them, super nice guy. He also told me what he will need and told me to stop in before we walk over to get the truck and he will call the Canadian border guys to let them know all is good. We've bought several vehicles from north of the border, hell we had our home built up there and brought down all one piece, 3 stall garage on the house and all. Saved almost 40% on the dollar and that was super easy as well.
63k Canadian is 43k US funds right now.(y)
What if any is the import tax on a vehicle?

Years ago when we made yearly fishing trips to Canada we had to pay an import tax for all the excess beer we brought across the border. The tax was less than the Canadian upcharge price for beer.

Kasey

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mile per hour reading is small and not so easy to see at a glance.

FlatTopPete

Established Member
We did this in the early 2000’s and it worked out fantastic. Saved a bunch of money at the time. I explored it again with the same dealer recently and was told that we would be responsible for paying 5 or 10% GST (can’t remember) at the time of sale. I believe it is refundable to US citizens but there’s a lot of paperwork involved.

Another thing I was told is that there is a range of years of production (this was a GM dealer) where a certain percentage of the vehicles were made in Mexico and through some recently passed legislation, it was enough to qualify for a 25% import tariff into the US. Some customers had to pay it at the border and some did not. Again, this is what I was told and not sure if I’m remembering all the details correctly. It was enough to scare me off. I believe it was like 2013-2017 GM trucks or something along those lines.

FlatTopPete

Established Member
Screenshot_20221023-213530_Gallery.jpg

I’m just relaying what I was told. It didn’t sound accurate to me at the time but this was said to me by the manager of sales at a gm dealer across the border. General Motors supposedly took some production down to Mexico for a certain number of years and this was enough to qualify it for the tariff passed by Trump. Unless this was recently changed within the last few months by the current administration, I was told that a very significant tariff percentage would be tacked on to the sale amount. I am remembering 20-25%…..

Upnorth

Chad Cosley at border parcel services in pembina can help and answer any questions you have. He does all the adesa auction imports. He has a couple hundred vehicles in his lot right now. Great guy, always willing to help. Your looking about 35 cents on the dollar in your favour.

Founding Member
Founding Member
Been involved now with not just buying my own but 3 other trucks this past two weeks for friends. Not complicated at all.
Get your dot and epa compliance paperwork for your vehicle from the manufacturer. Mine was gm canada and it took 1 day to be emailed.

Go to the nd dot and get an odometer disclosure, have the dealership sign it when you meet them at the border.
Yes have the dealership meet you either in the middle or on the US side. Use a smaller port of entry that's not so busy. Call the US border crossing you plan on going to in advance and let them know what your going to do and on what date and approximate time. Some will contact the Canadian side to let them know as well.
Have a copy of your bill of sale and your epa and dot compliance paperwork for them.

You will not be paying any fees, duties or taxes there as long as its for your own personal use.
You will only pay taxes at the ND dot when you license it.

The canadian salesman will give you the registration paperwork or whatever its called. They dont have titles. But the ND dot is familiar with this and will get you an ND title when you go to pay tax and license. Make sure you have them sign that odometer disclosure and give that to the dot along with that registration and dot, epa compliance paperwork.
Have the dealership make you a walk around video. Ask them to point out any imperfections such as dings dents scratches and rock chips. If the vehicle isn't what they said you don't have to buy the thing, remember that.
Ours have all been well taken care of clean rigs.
That should cover it.

As long as the vehicle was made in North America you should be good to go thanks to the nafta agreement. Older than 25 years you don't need dot epa compliance paperwork.
Couple of the trucks were built in Mexico, there were no tariffs. These were all 2015 and newer.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 90
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 71
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 66