Registration Question

bilbo

Honored Member
I bought a boat from MN last summer. In MN, the trailer is titled through Motor Vehicle and the boat is registered with DNR. The registration of the boat was no issue here in ND. Our MV said we don't register trailers that small, so I left it alone. I have received a few letters recently saying MN was going to suspend my registration and fine me because I didn't register the trailer within 10 days of buying it.

Of course all of my attempts to contact them have failed. I've called and sat on hold over my lunch break and other breaks quite a few times. I've sent emails through their website and snail mail letters. No response. There has to be someone on here that has bought a boat/trailer from MN; what did you do?

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
if your a ND resident dont worry about it. If they pull you over they look at your pulling vehicle license if it says ND your exempt on your trailer.

- - - Updated - - -

i should add to that send back a snail stating your a ND resident and you purchased the trailer and own it in ND

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's been 14 yrs since I bought a boat and trailer in Minnetucky, but I never did get any such notice from them. I just removed the MN license plate.

Note, the boat has never again been in that communal atmosphere.

bilbo

Honored Member
I'm not super worried about getting pulled over, I've never been hassled before and pulled lots of unplated stuff through MN over the years. Mostly I'm worried about two things. I don't want any liability falling back on the guy I bought it from if I ever sell it and the new owner does something stupid. Not much real risk with a boat trailer but you never know.

More important are their charges, suspensions, and fines. That stuff tends not to go away on its own and bites you when you least expect it. I once had an "unpaid fine" end with an arrest warrant and spending a Friday afternoon in the Fargo jail. Don't want to go through that again. I was completely unaware of the issue, and the warrant, until I got nicked for speeding coming into Fargo from Moorhead on NP where it used to drop down.

My snail mail letters, and the email have all stated basically what shorthairs said. I bought the boat as stated but I'm not a MN resident so the trailer won't be titled/registered. I suppose I'll just continue sending letters.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 161
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76