RIP John Madden

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
To be totally honest, not having heard about him or seen really anything about him for what seems like several years, I assumed he had already passed.
Loved his Thanks giving day game coverage over the years, was the absolute best.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
I didn't care for his game commentary, his clicker, or his man crush on Charles Haley

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
John Madden was to football what Howard Cosell was to boxing. May he rest in peace.

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Well, no one called a game quite like John Madden…you can definitely say that.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
[FONT=&quot]Always liked Madden and he could always make a person laugh.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Loved his diagrams he would draw and of course his describing a turkey with 8-10 legs at Thanksgiving. He was one of a kind and no one will ever be able to replace him.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Never forget when he would say, "The defense should be expecting a run or a pass here." - John Madden. He had a great sense of humor. He often used the terms BOOM and DOINK, and they fit well where he used them.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]He was a gift to us all, that is for sure.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Rest in Peace big guy. You will be missed by many![/FONT]

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I always like how he gave credit to the O-Linemen who never get any praise but all the blame. He will never be replaced and only poorly imitated.

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Brett Favre, Brett Favre, Brett Favre, Brett Favre, Brett Favre.....Madden's man crush will emulate from the grave!

Last edited:

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Probably my favorite commentator. Between playing and coaching FB for more than 40 years I liked how he didn't make the game more complicated than it is. It's blocking and tackling. Weren't many great catches in his vocabulary as that was what those guys were paid to do. Would have loved to spend a Sunday afternoon at his house with 16 TV's, each showing a different game and I'm sure some refreshments. That and a Thanksgiving dinner with the turkey with multiple legs.

John Madden seemed like a regular guy to me and ranks among the best for FB broadcasting.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
He paved the way for former coaches and players up in the TV booth/pre- post game. Jimmy Johnson, Bill Cowher, Boomer, Phil Simms, Troy Aikman, Tony Romo,Terry Bradshaw, Howie Long, etc etc etc. Madden BROKE trail for all of them. RIP!

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Wow, struck a cord. I like John Madden and really enjoyed his commentary when most didn't. And I've been very entertained by the numerous videos that I've seen the last 24 hours. All I'm saying is he was the king of nonsensical rambling and commentary. Everyone can agree on that and when you watch some videos his nonsense and rambling is in line with Joey B. Never commented on his patriotism or football knowledge. Easy fellas.

You guys are on like day 4 of real winter and are already coiled up....

edit: the reaction reminded me of this Bill Burr comedy bit. Just breathe guys.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lQCNNjEFwSk

Last edited:

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
RIP John
John Madden, Howard Cosell, Keith Jackson, masters of their kraft.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 67