Scent Control - How far do you go?

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I have heard of guys that go as far as changing diet for the season. Eating salads and such, so their natural body odor is less noticeable.

That's extreme!

How far do you go?

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't go to those extremes but keep a clean body, undergarments, equipment and fresh scent blocker from head to toe. Go out of my way to come in undetected and not cross trails if possible.

Last edited:

arrowdem

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've got the body soap. The toothpaste and make sure my clothes are always scent free. I run scent blocker right now and have a scent free bag I put them in right after descending. Never wear them in the truck. So on those below zero mornings. Changing in the box of the pickup is not that fun. But if I'm gonna do it I'm gonna do it right.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
fox urine in the sock drawer is all a guy needs.

I remember my pukie buddy Jeff putting the fox piss scent on his rubber boots when we were standing on my south Fargo driveway, we were hunting in fort ransom, holy shitte was that a long stinky ride...haha he did poke a deer that evening though, so the beers did taste better.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Body soap before I leave the house. Hunting clothes are kept in one of them water/air proof bags. Prior to storing them in there, I spray down every article of clothing with some sort of scent killer. I've used them all. Let them dry outside before you put them in the bag, otherwise you will get some moldy clothes. Once I get to the hunting site, I do as arrowdem does. Cold, cold days really suck but I think to eliminate any possibilities, its the best way to stay scent free. I typically spray down with scent killer before I walk to the stand, and then I use some cover scent once I get there. There's some cool recipes to make your own. I bought a water bladder for my badlands pack so I'm not crinkling a water bottle any more.

Not sure what good that all does since I usually fire up the thermacell on my way to the stand. But I'd rather spook deer than be the guest of honor at a mosquito buffet.

Nanky

Founding Member
Founding Member
I shower with no scent body wash/soap, keep my clothes in a separate air tight container (I throw a couple earth scent dryer sheets in there too), I generally change once I get to the field, and then spray down after I'm done changing. Honestly, I try to play the wind, that's still the biggest factor in my mind, but I think the other stuff helps.

buckhunter24_7

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just go in my work clothes after work no camo even its all over rated imo

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
in all honest, I knew a guy that smoked out of his tree stand, if the wind is right. He poked as many deer as anyone I knew

Sometimes overkill on all this scent technology, and of course us sportsman always willing to spend our money as fast as they will take it

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Personally I think the whole scent blocker soap, bags, shampoo, clothing and everything else is the best marketing scam in the last 20 years.

Your body oils continue to produce and the walk into your hunting grounds is sure to generate enough sweat to defeat the purpose of scent blocker. You can keep your clothes in a bag until you get to your hunting spot but your breath, and eventually your body scent, oils/sweat will find their way out.

I think using a cover scent that is stronger than body scent is the way to go. Unscented soap, shampoo, and laundry soap combined with homemade sweet clover / grass cover scent or even putting manure on your boots (if there are cattle near by) works the best.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ive found a 2 liter baking soda enema really helps to get all that stink out...

Last edited:

7mmMag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I usually just store all my clothes in a tote. I put some dirt on the bottom and I get some grass/weeds and cut off a few small evergreen branches and put that in there too.

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
in all honest, I knew a guy that smoked out of his tree stand, if the wind is right. He poked as many deer as anyone I knew

Sometimes overkill on all this scent technology, and of course us sportsman always willing to spend our money as fast as they will take it

Exactly! I keep my stuff clean and stored in plastic tubs. The scent killer/blocker clothing is a joke. Just hunt the wind and you won't have to worry. If the wind is wrong, stay out of the stand/blind. I knew a guy that smoked camel non-filters one after another while sitting in his stands. He wouldn't hunt if the wind was wrong or swirling though. He never had a problem shooting big deer.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 169
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77