Shallow Divers or Less Line Out?

MicLee

Founding Member
Founding Member
I ask this question because i was out last weekend, and forgot my shallow divers, so I used #8 Shad Raps (can dive to 15' i think) and used less line so they couldn't dive to full depth. We nailed 'em ... i was surprised.

So, it made me wonder if this is the better option. The lures try to dive hard, and have a ton of action. Maybe causing a bigger trigger?

Food for thought.

Wondering about others opinions on this.

squirrel92

Founding Member
Founding Member
That is the method I use. I don't like long lining because I can make sharper, quicker turns with any style crankbait. I feel like they stay in the strike zone longer as well.

thriller1

Founding Member
Founding Member
I always run a deep diving crank straight out the back of the boat when we troll our usual 4-8 feet of water just to see what they want. There has been many times that our bigger walleyes will crush that crank before the other ones. People look at me like I am crazy when they ask me how we caught our walleyes. They scoff at me and think I am lying when I tell them we run #5 Salmo's 18' behind the boat in 4-5' of water.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
I really think with the water clarity we often see in the Dakotas that short lines don't matter. We don't have to worry as much about the boat spooking as really clear waters do. I have no issue running them short and right below the boat. Less tangles too.

I also wonder if the boat doesn't excite them in a way. Saltwater guys troll lures FAST right in their wake and do well at times. Are we doing the same thing? I don't know, just a thought.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 67