Sleeping bag

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m sure it’s been discussed on here somewhere but humor me....my sleeping bag is worn out. Need a new one for an archery elk hunt coming up in 2021. Any brands to lean to or stay away from? All help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m sure it’s been discussed on here somewhere but humor me....my sleeping bag is worn out. Need a new one for an archery elk hunt coming up in 2021. Any brands to lean to or stay away from? All help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

i have used the outdoor vitals 0 degree down for the last 5 years and it has worked well might be warm for archery but they have other ratings and impressed with it. I would look at kifaru slick bag if going synthetic. Feathered friends and western mountaineering are both top quality also

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bear Proof?

The hunt is in bear country but I suspect if a hungry bear wants me it’s gonna have me.....grin

- - - Updated - - -

Kurtr I suspect being archery it could be warmer temps but I think we’re around 6000 feet so I hope to be prepared for a range of temps

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited:

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
I cant sleep in a mummy bag, pretty much buy the biggest bag i can find. I have a cabalas brand measures 6foot 6 by 36 inches wide.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
The hunt is in bear country but I suspect if a hungry bear wants me it’s gonna have me.....grin

- - - Updated - - -

Kurtr I suspect being archery it could be warmer temps but I think we’re around 6000 feet so I hope to be prepared for a range of temps

- - - Updated - - -

It easier to cool off than get warm thats why i went with a zero degree and i have been in it down to single digits but i think sleeping pad is as big of a deal as the bag

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I cant sleep in a mummy bag, pretty much buy the biggest bag i can find. I have a cabalas brand measures 6foot 6 by 36 inches wide.

I wouldn't recommend this. Buy a bag that fits you. Over sized bags are inefficient. More space to warm. If you don't like mummy look at a quilt. I agree with Kurt pad is just as important as bag even if sleeping on a cot

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have the best one that Cabela put out 30 years ago. Its good to -20 I think. Buts its a mummy bag and in bear country I never keep my arms inside, just didnt feel safe that way. You just cant outrun a bear inch worm style. Arms out with a 44 mag close at hand made me sleep a little better knowing at least I would have a fighting chance. LB

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I paid $300 for a -20 degree mummy bag in 1993. I slept in it three nights and it still hangs fluffed up in a large bag in my lawn shed. I now have a bag like riverview described. Kind of a funny story. I bought that large bag st Cabelas in Sydney, Nebraska on the way to colorado. It has the Winchester logo printed multiple times on the inside linning. The lady who went in back to get a packaged bag hollered back out asking the sales lady which bag did the guy want, and she says " he wants the one with the cowboys on it". Other customers looked over with this wondering if I was all there stare.

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Anywhere you will be hunting elk, even during archery season there is a very good chance of sub 20 degree weather. I've been in Idaho the second week of September with 10 degree nights and 6 inches of snow. I would always error on the side of too warm. At a minimum I'd get a bag with a 20 degree comfort rating. If you're not backpacking with it you can save a lot of money because weight won't be an issue. I have a north face cats meow, 20 degree rating but it's tight. My next bag will be a western mountaineering Badger. Also the large heat packs are awesome to have with to use in the sleeping bag, they saved our asses one year on the side of a mountain.

And Kurt's right, the pad is as important as the bag.

Last edited:

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Definitely have a sleeping pad.
Had a guy in elk camp once that had a blow up pad and he damn near froze at night as the air in that pad got like an ice cube.
Best sleeping pad we ever had was a thick foam pool mattress that had a pillow molded into it. They worked great for a pad.
Now i am wondering what ever happened to them! Never seen them when we moved off the farm.
I liked big heavy sleeping bags as i could always open it if i got too hot.
Man those were the days. Enjoy them people as they end way too soon!

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Another vote for Western Mountaineering down bags. Made in USA! I have the Alpinlite 6'6" bag. Love it. Rated to 20 degrees, but if you're wearing your base layers and a fresh pair of socks it is comfortable down to single digits. Add a self inflating sleeping pad with an R value of 3 or higher, and you're set.

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
Maybe I missed it, but is this a backpack hunt or truck camp hunt? Big difference.

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
Maybe I missed it, but is this a backpack hunt or truck camp hunt? Big difference.

Outfitter drop camp. He’ll ride us in with horses and mules. Have a tent with cots set up and drop us in and leave. We are taking stuff in case we have to set up spike camp somewhere. Weight is a definite issue

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Outfitter drop camp. He’ll ride us in with horses and mules. Have a tent with cots set up and drop us in and leave. We are taking stuff in case we have to set up spike camp somewhere. Weight is a definite issue

How much do you plan on spending?

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
Open to suggestions on price. I don’t look at this as a once in a lifetime hunt as I’ve hunted elk with a rifle a few times already. Don’t really intend to spend more than a few hundred if possible though

- - - Updated - - -

But I’m a realist that knows you get what you pay for and have what my wife calls expensive hobbies....ha

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lots and lots of options nowadays. I think you'd be fine in any 15-20 degree bag for Sept. I have bags from both Western Mountaineering and Big Agnes. Both companies offer models with a little bigger hip and toe box. Not a traditional UL mummy bag. That was a necessity for me.

Big Agnes - the Mystic SL 15 has been around for a long time. ~$400ish. They have a new bag out that would offer even more room then the Mystic, Diamond Park 15. ~350ish. Don't know anything about the Diamond Park. The 20 degree model I have has been discontinued. IMO it was cold for the temp it was rated at. And I like to sleep cold. I think BA was known for that, maybe improved since then.

Buy Once Cry Once - Western Mountaineering Badger MF. I have the Kodiak MF, they are nice bags. For Sept, the Kodiak would be too warm, as I learned last year in ID.

Kelty, Marmot and Slumberjack are other brands I see recommended more than once. I know nothing about them. Stone Glacier and Kuiu make bags now too.

Sleeping pad - get the warmest, lightest, biggest one you can get. I also have no idea what's out there nowadays for pads. I have an old Big Agnes and Neoair Xtherm. Shouldn't be too hard to find thorough reviews on new pads and bags.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 169
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 122
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77