So...Recession?

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I gotta say, as a 30-something who is now facing down the barrel of another possible recession, I'm getting the all-too-familiar deja vu.

The last one I was living with my now-wife, no kids, in an apartment, paycheck to paycheck as she finished up nursing school. She graduated and there were NO nursing jobs available. It took her months before finally getting into Meritcare in Fargo. Then I had to jump through the hoops that was finding a job with my meager professional experience at that point, in a brand new city to boot.

I'd like to say I'm older and wiser now, and with two kiddos and a home, a hell of a lot more cautious.

I have a steady job. The wife works two. We're making it and comfortable. But you can bet we're not planning any big expenditures any time soon. Keep paying down debt (two car loans and a mortgage) and keep putting cash away for a rainy day.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I gotta say, as a 30-something who is now facing down the barrel of another possible recession, I'm getting the all-too-familiar deja vu.

The last one I was living with my now-wife, no kids, in an apartment, paycheck to paycheck as she finished up nursing school. She graduated and there were NO nursing jobs available. It took her months before finally getting into Meritcare in Fargo. Then I had to jump through the hoops that was finding a job with my meager professional experience at that point, in a brand new city to boot.

I'd like to say I'm older and wiser now, and with two kiddos and a home, a hell of a lot more cautious.

I have a steady job. The wife works two. We're making it and comfortable. But you can bet we're not planning any big expenditures any time soon. Keep paying down debt (two car loans and a mortgage) and keep putting cash away for a rainy day.
Its what you said "were not planning any big expenditures soon" that will cause it. I am not even sure what "it" is but some type of economic bs that isnt going to be good. Somebody is still buying though as scheels ran out of those 10" screens they had on sale realy quick. At the same time ford has how many 2022 vehicles still left on the lot. I havent heard a word on here about a new sparkly and the boat lots are running out of room for parking. They will keep jacking the interest rate until the buying stops and "it" will happen.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Raised 3 of the 4 kids, one to go, not sure how we made it with daycare, diapers, etc., but it sure didn't cheapen up any as they grew up. One in college, the older two on their own.

Mrs johnr has a high level bank job, and me a meager salesman for the last 30 years.

I owe on some property, and somehow have every other item paid for. She would like a new vehicle, it is not a make or break ordeal, however I am reluctant at this point to spend any money of any kind.

I fear the economy will look rosy now compared to what is coming.

If you can hold out on purchases, by all means do, let the democrats finish ruining the economy first.

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Your wife was a RN and had a tough time finding a job back in 08/09? That seems odd recession or not. Health care is one thing that's damn near recession proof. My wife had just became an NP and finding a job wasn't an issue. Now finding a job that didn't involve shift work and in a department she wanted to be was / is significantly tougher as is being located in a market where one health provider controls the majority of the health care network so they put you where they want a make it very to tough to move to another department. Bottom line, if push came to shove, those jobs were readily available to pay the bills and make some dough if you weren't super selective in location or area of practice.

Not sure what you do, but RNs and Healthcare is in huge demand and a recession isn't going to slow that train.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Your wife was a RN and had a tough time finding a job back in 08/09? That seems odd recession or not. Health care is one thing that's damn near recession proof. My wife had just became an NP and finding a job wasn't an issue. Now finding a job that didn't involve shift work and in a department she wanted to be was / is significantly tougher as is being located in a market where one health provider controls the majority of the health care network so they put you where they want a make it very to tough to move to another department. Bottom line, if push came to shove, those jobs were readily available to pay the bills and make some dough if you weren't super selective in location or area of practice.

Not sure what you do, but RNs and Healthcare is in huge demand and a recession isn't going to slow that train.
You read that right. She was fresh out of college and there were no jobs. She wound up taking shift work in the NICU, which was a job she loved.

As far as I personally know, healthcare is NOT "recession proof." Every industry has it's limits.

Finding a job right now and the past several years in the field is definitely not a problem. But it was in 2009.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't worry folks. The govt. money printing machine will solve all the inflation woes and recession talk. A couple trillion pieces of unbacked paper will bring the economy right back up the the stone age. You'll see.

701FishSlayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Patiently waiting for the boat bubble to pop. Sold my rig last year. Prices are wack, and I'm sure interest rates are too by now. There was a warrior 238 at the boat show in Minot priced at $172k. Only thing missing was a clown suit for the salesman. I'd hate to be in sales right now whether it's cars or boats or.....Watch the lots fill up with inventory now. Stupid time to be buying.

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just got a letter from the city stating my house is worth over 50,000 more than last year. That's pretty cool. My question is, how the hell do you know how much my house is worth without stepping a foot inside it? What if it's completely trashed and the foundation is falling in? Must be nice to put a ridiculous price on something just so you can tax gauge. I'm getting pretty fed up with all this crap!

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I read an article about property values going up in Bismarck, it was in the Bismarck paper but I couldn't read it because I'm not a subscriber.
I know it's happening all over north dakota I suppose, I got a letter from the county commissioner about my property inquiring about any updates so they can raise my taxes to.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ya our property was assessed 10% higher over last year.

We couldn't afford our house if we bought it at today's market "value."

measure-it

Founding Member
Founding Member
How do they satisfy the decreased property taxes? They raise the property values 10 to 25% to make up the difference, plus more!
My value went up 24%, and they've never set foot in my house! Flipping CRAZY!!!

7mmMag

Founding Member
Founding Member
My wife and I have been trying to build a house for 3 years now. We started the process just as covid hit hard. Lumber prices went through the roof so we held off. Then lumber went down some but everything else went through the roof so we held off again. Now with interest rate up and a recession on the horizon, we are holding off again. Our current house is paid off as well as our vehicles so I guess we will just keep putting money away for awhile.

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
2018 Chevy Silverado with 90,000. So I am keeping it. Need tires and will do a few other recommended maintenance. Drive it for another 50,000. I have looked at the new ones. Just to much of a jump when your 76.

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
Who are these people that keep buying $600K houses and, $75K trucks and $100K boats.

Incredible.

It's crazy. My wife and I do pretty well. We only have one debt (mortgage), drive somewhat older vehicles, have basically no recreational toys, never go on vacation, and don't live in a $500k+ house. And we aren't exactly swimming in cash. Meanwhile the Joneses are doing their thing....

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
Who are these people that keep buying $600K houses and, $75K trucks and $100K boats.

Incredible.
I have been starting to wonder the same thing. Don't forget to add the $90k camper. I'm guessing this why there's a bank on every corner and they're getting bigger and nicer. I think this is the look at me era. Everyone wants the attention that comes with the nicest things. I think you're a moron.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member

Not sure what you do, but RNs and Healthcare is in huge demand and a recession isn't going to slow

Day will come when the medicar dollars will stop flowing. The little ripple that happened in covid times should of woke up healthcare. Even something as simple as a $125 copay would cause a major ripple to healthcare $$. The Brick and Motar is way overboard It will come back and haunt

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have been starting to wonder the same thing. Don't forget to add the $90k camper. I'm guessing this why there's a bank on every corner and they're getting bigger and nicer. I think this is the look at me era. Everyone wants the attention that comes with the nicest things. I think you're a moron.
And the 130k pontoon, 4 25k snowmobiles, 50k harley, 950k lake place, ........

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75