Spear fishing for walleye

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Spear fishing for walleye. What’s everyone’s take on this? I dropped the front wheel of my pickup in an unmarked spear hole a few years back, so personally I think all spear fisherman are assholes and I hope their favorite pet dies. Do you see a lot of walleye when you spear fish?

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used to spear with my grandpa when I was little. You need to be on a might clear/shallow lake to find good pike spearing where you also see walleyes. Remember, typically walleyes are most active and feed shallower in low-light conditions, which is exactly opposite of what you want when spear fishing. Not saying it never happens, but if your goal is to spear a limit of walleyes, more power to ya.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Spear fishing for walleye. What’s everyone’s take on this? I dropped the front wheel of my pickup in an unmarked spear hole a few years back, so personally I think all spear fisherman are assholes and I hope their favorite pet dies. Do you see a lot of walleye when you spear fish?
Maybe you should have looked down the hole to see if there was any Walleyes down there

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used to spear with my grandpa when I was little. You need to be on a might clear/shallow lake to find good pike spearing where you also see walleyes. Remember, typically walleyes are most active and feed shallower in low-light conditions, which is exactly opposite of what you want when spear fishing. Not saying it never happens, but if your goal is to spear a limit of walleyes, more power to ya.
Why were y'all assholes?

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well you could engineer and set up a way to utilize a harpoon system which is legal when going after walleyes.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why not set out four tip-ups outside the dark house and spear fish inside? Four lines max will now become 4+ if both are allowed together. The number of holes on a lake will explode.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why not set out four tip-ups outside the dark house and spear fish inside? Four lines max will now become 4+ if both are allowed together. The number of holes on a lake will explode.
This is what my family has always done when fishing, it also allows for a buffer zone in case others want to fish next to you let's them know that they are in the ring of fire.

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lakes that allow walleye spearing: Stump Lake and the Devils Lake complex south of U.S. Highway 2 and the Missouri River System (including lakes Sakakawea and Oahe and the Missouri River) up to the first tributary bridge, walleye are also legal.

Freedom

★ Legendary Member
Spear counts as a line

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lakes that allow walleye spearing: Stump Lake and the Devils Lake complex south of U.S. Highway 2 and the Missouri River System (including lakes Sakakawea and Oahe and the Missouri River) up to the first tributary bridge, walleye are also legal.

Underwater Spearfishing​

The following fish may not be taken with underwater spearfishing gear: muskellunge, paddlefish, smallmouth bass and sturgeon. All other species are legal. Daily and possession limits for legal fish are the same as listed in Hook and Line Fishing.

Underwater spearfishing is legal from May 1 through November 30 of each fishing year.

Underwater spearfishing is open only in the following waters:

• The Missouri River except that portion from the Garrison Dam downstream to the southern boundary of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Downstream Recreation Area.
  • Lake Oahe, Lake Sakakawea (except those areas posted by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers near the intake and spillway structures) and open fishing areas of Lake Audubon.
  • Devils Lake.
  • Stump Lake.
  • Spiritwood Lake.

Opie11

Founding Member
Founding Member
I spear fish, and I'm not an A-hole! Or at least my mom says I'm not. Guys that don't mark their holes or leave their ice blocks on top of the ice are though. I don't see many walleye when set up for pike spearing. In eight years of spearing I might have seen a couple dozen walleye that I would have had a legitimate chance at spearing. I likely would have missed half of those as they were at the bottom in 10-12 feet of water. Walleye normally just swim through without stopping or paying an attention to the decoy.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
It would be tempting to put the spear away and fish for walleye through the spear hole but against the law unless something has changed.

Opie11

Founding Member
Founding Member
It would be tempting to put the spear away and fish for walleye through the spear hole but against the law unless something has changed.
I don't think it's against the law as long as you don't exceed line limits. I've tried it with zero success. They don't seem to bite when it's light enough to see them. I've caught perch in the spear hole occasionally.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't think it's against the law as long as you don't exceed line limits. I've tried it with zero success. They don't seem to bite when it's light enough to see them. I've caught perch in the spear hole occasionally.
It is against the law, or so I remember, the hole cannot be bigger than 10 inches, its why that is the biggest auger you can purchase too..

Freedom

★ Legendary Member
It is against the law, or so I remember, the hole cannot be bigger than 10 inches, its why that is the biggest auger you can purchase too..
"There is no restriction on the size of the hole in the ice while ice fishing. When a hole greater than 10 inches in diameter is left in the ice, the area in the immediate vicinity of the hole must be adequately marked with a natural object or a brightly painted or colored wooden lath. Markers must be in possession of the angler as soon as a hole greater than 10 inches in diameter is made. Markers must be visible from a minimum of 150 feet."

That's the current law

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I guess that's legal as long as you can spearfish?

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
This may be the same dude. I couldn't find the short vid on YT to forward in the Hills. THIS is ice fishing IMHO. Had this idea years ago but no power auger or clam. Or if I remember correctly no legal place in the Darling area.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
"There is no restriction on the size of the hole in the ice while ice fishing. When a hole greater than 10 inches in diameter is left in the ice, the area in the immediate vicinity of the hole must be adequately marked with a natural object or a brightly painted or colored wooden lath. Markers must be in possession of the angler as soon as a hole greater than 10 inches in diameter is made. Markers must be visible from a minimum of 150 feet."

That's the current law
Maybe it was never the rules, I for one reason or another was told, and have always believed 10" was the rules.

Guessing I should look at the rules for once in my lifetime, rather than letting what the fags I fish with always telling me what I can and cant do...

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 100
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 62