Spearing

fish-r-man

★★ Legendary Member
Anyone in the area run dark houses? Looking to get a new hobby and might need some guidance. :;:cheers

Opie11

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have done it for the last 3 winters so not an expert by any means, but it sure is fun. Last year was very slow for us compared to the previous two years. Not sure if it was because of all the snow on the ice or what exactly, but hoping for a better season this year. I'm south of Parshall and usually spear on Deepwater or Douglas Bay. If you were interested in seeing the setup you are more than welcome to come out sometime. Might try to get out on a smaller lake with the portable soon now that it got cold again.

Chas'n Tail

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you already ice fish and have a portable, your only real investment should be a spear to start out anyway. I haven't done it many times, but when I have, we used a portable sled, drilled our spear hole with an auger, and lowered a hookless husky jerk down the hole attached to a leader with a 3 oz weight tied to it on the bottom. and we smoked the hell out of them. it was a blast. And if I remember right, the first time i went my buddy had gone out to his garden shed and found an old heavy ice chipper and ground down 5 points and threw it in the box. it was about as redneck as it gets, but holy smokes did it hook me.

fish-r-man

★★ Legendary Member
Thanks guys. I just got back from Minnesota, and my uncle makes decoys out there. I brought back a few blanks and think it'd be a fun thing to get into.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Remember, having your own decoy CRUSHED by a gator is a badge of success! Oh, and have an addiction counselor on speed dial. You'll probably need that.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 165
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76