Spey fishing - floating top

lorawaelchi

What does a floating tip do? It was recommended I get a 10’ floating tip for my upcoming trip to pyramid lake. I’ll be using a switch rod with floating line as my indicator rig. I no absolutely nothing about spey/switch fishing. I always thought you added tips to help get your flies down. Do you always need to use a tip when casting a two hander? Which floating tip would you recommend?

DakotaGreg

Established Member
The 10' floating tip means the first ten feet of the fly line floats and is thicker to shoot line and its brightly colored so you can see it move if a fish strikes. The switch rod means you can Spey cast it or two hand fly cast it or a combination of both. You can get full sink line to get down deeper but floating line is much easier to cast. Id use floating line so that you can spey cast it too. Use a longer leader, weighted fly, and or BBs to get deeper if needed.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Darnit Greg. Wish you had been up at 1:30 am.

I had to research all those “nonsense” terms at 2:00 am. I hadn’t heard of any of those things. :p

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Seems like they meant the shooting head. We typically use skagit heads with a split float/sink leader but fish deeper fish in fast water. Lake fishing I’d go full floating line setup described above. A line setup that floats will reduce friction drastically and allow you to maximize your cast.

Everything is loop to loop and quick to interchange so maybe worth carrying a floating head as well as a sinking head/leader.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 156
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 79