Sump pump

Victory

What brand sump pump are you guys using? I’m on my 3rd Menards pump and replacing AGAIN! I’ll gladly pay a little extra to avoid dipping my nose back down that sewer hole again for awhile.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sump pump, or trash pump? If you're sticking your face in a "smelly hole" (I'll refrain from the obvious jokes), it sounds like you are replacing a septic tank pump on a mounded system. Or something similar.

I've used Menards purchased pumps (1/2 HP Barracuda variety) for the past 12 years on my septic system to lift flavored water out to the drainfield. I've replaced 3 pumps since I bought the place. First time it was actually the drainfield that had a problem. Next time the float stuck and the pump likely ran non-stop for well over a month straight and was replaced simply because I didn't trust it going forward. I've yet to actually burn out the pump itself.

Note, I also buy pumps in pairs so I have one on the shelf for when the installed one needs to be replaced at any time of the day without a trip to the store. That way I don't have to mess with reconfiguring the damn PVC riser pipe when it's -40 due to the height of the pump. Having to adjust the length of the riser pipe is some unnecessary BS at those temps.

Last edited:

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Note, a "sump" pump is not usually stainless steel. For a septic system you definitely want to go with SS. I think the Barracuda pumps I've bought have been around $180-$220. It's been a few years now since I've replaced it, so they're probably well north of that nowadays.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
S/S is usually just the casing. Most of the wetted parts are still cast. If you want to spend a little extra, get epoxy coated wetted parts.

Victory

Sump pump, or trash pump? If you're sticking your face in a "smelly hole" (I'll refrain from the obvious jokes), it sounds like you are replacing a septic tank pump on a mounded system. Or something similar.

I've used Menards purchased pumps (1/2 HP Barracuda variety) for the past 12 years on my septic system to lift flavored water out to the drainfield. I've replaced 3 pumps since I bought the place. First time it was actually the drainfield that had a problem. Next time the float stuck and the pump likely ran non-stop for well over a month straight and was replaced simply because I didn't trust it going forward. I've yet to actually burn out the pump itself.

Note, I also buy pumps in pairs so I have one on the shelf for when the installed one needs to be replaced at any time of the day without a trip to the store. That way I don't have to mess with reconfiguring the damn PVC riser pipe when it's -40 due to the height of the pump. Having to adjust the length of the riser pipe is some unnecessary BS at those temps.
A septic lift pump is what I meant yup.

TWN

Founding Member
Founding Member
Our plumbers use Liberty pumps, they will take some solids and seem to last a long time. The only ones we ever get back are from operator error.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77