Terrova

toddy

Need to replace my Terrova. Can't afford the self deploying unit. Was surprised to see that the Terrova now has a spring loaded device for stowing. Has anybody used one and how does it work? Also, where is the best place to buy one cost wise?

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
Not sure where the best place to buy is, but stick to the Terrova. I have an Ulterra and it has broken down twice under warranty, and now that it is out of warranty it scares the begeezus out of me.

Rizzo

Founding Member
Founding Member
The lift assist on the terrova has been out since 2017 I believe. It makes pulling up the motor half the effort. Stow and deploy works the same as it always has just makes it less effort is all.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
A buddy has the Ulterra. Remote only, cannot get a foot control for it . Gave them model and serial number, no sir. He despises that as when pitchin it is much more convenient using foot control unit.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
I talked to guide when i was looking at a new trolling motor and he said the only issue he has seen is with the auto deploy so i bought a terra.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I have had the deploy issue, twice, and currently I have a new belt to install on it.

bowcarp

Founding Member
Founding Member
picked mine up this spring so far love it , haven't fully figured 1/2 of what its capable of yet , but what I have figured out I really like , got mine at Runnings mainly cause the old woman works there so I did manage a bit of a discount

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
and really i can manually deploy and stow allot of times for 600-dollar difference in price

Founding Member
Founding Member
The last 36v Terrova I bought I saved a bunch of money on by buying it from a local boat dealer that had them for sale on ebay. Said they came on the boats but new owners wanted the Ulterras so they weren't installed. Might check that option out.
I bought a 24v this spring from Scheels for the little boat. It came with a helix 7 in the box along with footpedal. It was a spring sale and a fair price I thought.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
My Ulterra is a 2016 model and has been in the shop around once a season for the past 3-4 years, not all were necessarily the fault of Minnkota.

The biggest problem I've had with it is the self deploy and store features. That SOB really hates dust, I can almost guarantee it won't function properly after driving the gravel road to New Johns. AG Repair insists one needs to keep the shaft clean, but you aren't supposed to use any lubricants on it as they trap dust. Doesn't matter, even the amount of dust it gets when dry and driving down gravel roads is a recipe for some swearing. What I have finally done that seems to work pretty well is I carry a spray bottle with about a teaspoon of dish soap mixed with water. When it won't store or deploy, I just reach around the front and "rinse" the locking mechanism and she's fine again until the next time. Just dumb...

Since I fish alone maybe 20 times a year, I wear the remote on a lanyard around my neck whenever I'm in the boat. Maybe misplaced comfort, but I like the idea of if I ever fall overboard I can tell the boat to come back and get me. Or at least hit the anchor button to keep it from outrunning my slow-swimming self.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
p.s my previous electric was a PowerDrive. I hated storing and deploying that damn thing, especially in high waves.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 160
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 80