Unit 10A Pronghorn

Hunter58301

My wife drew a tag and we have never ventured into this area. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Heading out Sunday for a few days.
Thanks in advance.

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why .... in gods name .... would u put in for a area you know nothing about , and then ask for help on the internet 3 days before opener .....

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The first advice that came to mind when I clicked on this thread and read post #1 was:
From now on, don’t apply for a tag for anything if you don’t already have a place to hunt or at least have an idea about the area.

HOWEVER, I’m going to give you the benefit of the doubt that you did in fact research the area a bit and determine that the amount of public land there or something led you to believe this was a good unit for which to apply, and now you are just using this site as an additional resource to gain some extra knowledge about it prior to the hunt. If that is the case, then I guess it never hurts to ask.

Hunter58301

10A

Why .... in gods name .... would u put in for a area you know nothing about , and then ask for help on the internet 3 days before opener .....
Apparently you have never hunted an unfamiliar area? Must be tough being you.

- - - Updated - - -

And yes, We will take a few days and scout the area. Wasn't looking for GPS coordinates and a quick kill. But thanks just the same.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member

LOL Probably because he one of those that say pronghorn instead of antelope.

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
To be fair, when I went to Wyoming hunting antelope several years ago I was in your shoes. I had looked at maps, statistics, etc. but had never been within 500 miles of the place I would be hunting.

I don't know where unit 10A is, but the best advice I can give you is don't be afraid to ask for permission. I think that is the downfall of so many hunters, especially with some of the latest legislative talk, too afraid to knock on a door.

My experience hunting antelope in ND, even last year when the posted land debate was hot and heavy and I was right in the heart of the country that was supposedly in lock down mode, was that every door I knocked on had a very pleasant landowner on the other side. I think I talked to 5 different landowners. I was politely told "no" by one and politely said, "thank you for your time" in return. The others all told me good luck and told me where all of the roads where on their property and where the antelope were hanging out.

Don't be afraid to ask. Don't be afraid to knock. Don't be afraid to get turned down either. There's nothing so bad about that.

Good luck to you both. I hope she tags a big one.

Hunter58301

This will be the 5th different unit I/we have hunted and have had a great time every time. Meeting new people and checking out new areas is what makes it. We will spend a couple days scouting and knocking on doors to see what we can find. We are looking forward to it!
Thanks!!

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cuz it’s some secret ? Good grief : it u had fun and had a good hunt post a pic ! I’m leaving Friday for my hunt we got 3 days to get 2 bucks hopefully find 2 decent ones

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Apparently you have never hunted an unfamiliar area? Must be tough being you.

- - - Updated - - -

And yes, We will take a few days and scout the area. Wasn't looking for GPS coordinates and a quick kill. But thanks just the same.

here is the problem asking a question like that on a open forum. Say a nice guy gives some advice next thing you know every guy that can read says hot damn that’s where I am going. More and more sights are just banning people who mention specific units in the open forums. Pm some one with specific questions . Plus no one knows you here with six posts you could just fly buy get intel and be gone.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Make sure you have ND plates, do not tell anyone your from Fargo or any place in the eastern ND. Have nothing on your vehicle that would represent eastern ND. Maybe a oil well sticker on the window and you support fossil fuel. Oil tax should go to build stuff in western ND should be part of the conversation.

But ask the ranchers, out there they hate the animal and would prefer you kill at least a dozen of them.
I have found mule deer hunting out there that most will talk your ass off as they are all lonely for company.
Hell i have been invited in the house for supper and have been taken for hours in their vehicles showing me there ranch.

But then maybe one or two were not quit that friendly. db

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76