Unleaded gas - premium vs regular (non-ethanol gases)

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Is there any value of running premium unleaded (non-ethanol) in your small engines - ie 8 hp or less.
Talking lawn mowers, snow blowers and the like.

I feel there is some advantage in a truck or automobile but may be mistaken.
Thoughts? OR for the average Joe Blow is it not worth it in those vehicles. Not talking high performance cars.

Thanks

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Is there any value of running premium unleaded (non-ethanol) in your small engines - ie 8 hp or less.
Talking lawn mowers, snow blowers and the like.

I feel there is some advantage in a truck or automobile but may be mistaken.
Thoughts? OR for the average Joe Blow is it not worth it in those vehicles. Not talking high performance cars.

Thanks
Sorry I got this in the wrong category. Duh!!

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If your turning your fuel over regularly, the answer is there is no benefit if the engine isn't designed to take advantage of the higher octane. In fact, it can actually produce harder starts as the fuel is tougher to ignite.

With that said, most small engines don't get used on a regular basis and sit for months or a year in storage between uses. This where premium non-ethonal blended fuel can be valuable to small engines as deterioration and moisture control is much better than low octane ethonal blended fuels. Fuel will degrade and lose octane over time also, so assuming you can find non-ethonal blended fuels, if your small engine calls for 87, and sits with 91 that looses some octane over time, it will still likely meet the minimum octane rating.

I have a lot of small engines and use a lot of premium fuel between those and the engines that we own that require it. I don't think I've ever had a fuel related issue with any of my engines. I do notice our gravely 72" mower does start harder however running 91 octane fuel.

Browneye

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was told this too by a small engine repair place. Nothing but premium no ethanol in small engines, atvs.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Pull the carb on a mower or snowblower that sat 1/2 a yr with ethanol. Everything inside the carb has a green residue and there gummed up. You will not find that if your running non ethanol premium fuel. My ATV's mower, snowblower, bobcat and tractors and dont forget generators. I shut the gas off on my generator and let it run dry. Everything else I just shut them off and they all start back up in the spring.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Agreed ^^ further I researched aviation fuel, 105 octane, non oxy,no shelf,even 92oct non-oxy has issues sitting for months,this small engines up to my atv.

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Portable gas cans all get filled w/non-ethanol and treated w/Sta-Bil or Sea-Foam.
^^^
I do this with the Sea-Foam.
I have been either doing the premium or regular unleaded - but didn't know why I should do one versus the other. For years I have been staying away from the ethanol blends.

After the above comments I will now just use the premium.

Thanks all of you for your comments

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
It is hard to do valid MPG tests in a vehicle as there are a lot of variables. I tried to do it with a comparison of regular VS premium unleaded gas in my truck. The premium gave me about 20% higher gas mileage in the limited trial that I did. About the increase in cost at that time between the two grades. Maybe my trial was inaccurate. It sure would be nice if you could do it in a controlled experiment.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
All i know is my di outboard will go 2-3 faster at WOT; 87 vs 91. Idles better etc etc. Its made for 87 Problem is finding the gas -- i use the non 02 website -- however does one really trusts that the dealer is really selling 87 no ethanol. So i end up

bravo

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Sinclair in devils lake used to sell 87 with no ethanol. Pretty hard to find now.

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Cenex is my go to. Most have pure 91 octane and many have pure 87. We have it good here compared to many other places for pure gas availability.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
No ethanol used in any of my motors unless absolutely no other option... Ethanol belongs in a glass, not a tank!

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Premium only in my boats and small engines. The F150 5.4L I'll run whatever. I should use more Stabil in my small engine gas like I do with boat motors.

Pheasant 54

★★★ Legendary Member
I absolutely run 91 in all my toys , Costco 91 is pure , Sams is not . When travelling I usually have very little trouble finding pure 91

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 101
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 67