Used fiberglass boat questions

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looking at a 20 year old fiberglass boat and I've never owned a glass boat so I need to know what I should be looking for especially with the hull. It's a 2001 Yarcraft with merc motors on it. Anything around that year that stands out or might raise a red flag?

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Might still be a wood transom in that era, check to make sure the wood is solid and not rotten. Beyond that, it's all the stuff bolted to the boat that goes bad, the boats themselves can last a long time.

Like any other boat you'd want to make sure the pumps worked, the motors start and run, the trailer lights work and are wired properly, and trailer brakes work as they should.

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member
Look at the rear 3rd of the floor and transom. Other than that the old Yars are generally trouble free. I have rebuilt 2 of them....

buckhunter24_7

Founding Member
Founding Member
The big Mercury optimax’s had a lot of problems in those years up to about 08. I have seen alot of boats with newer motors on them or the ‘new power head’ in the the sales notes on line.

sierra1995

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had a 97 yarcraft 1785 for a while - bought it used. The floor was rotting from the underside, as the top is covered in fiberglass, but the bottom has no coatings. So, when the live wells ran over, and water started sloshing around in the bottom of the boat, the wood absorbed it, and eventually rotted the floor. I can only imagine that the stringers were starting to rot, or already rotten. I think it was in 2006 when Skeeter, Yarcraft, and Warrior, all went to composite floors and transoms. AaronJ would probably know better than me.

If the floor and transom are solid, buy it. The 1895 was a tremendous hull. It was dry, and fast for the time. I've heard of folks getting into the mid 50's MPH with the 225 optimax on this hull.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Maybe a stupid question but is there a way to look at the interior of the hull?

Mirrors on extensions. Mechanic's Bore Scope. You can go through the bilge drain and maybe holes in the bottom of the seat bases.

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I had a 97 yarcraft 1785 for a while - bought it used. The floor was rotting from the underside, as the top is covered in fiberglass, but the bottom has no coatings. So, when the live wells ran over, and water started sloshing around in the bottom of the boat, the wood absorbed it, and eventually rotted the floor. I can only imagine that the stringers were starting to rot, or already rotten. I think it was in 2006 when Skeeter, Yarcraft, and Warrior, all went to composite floors and transoms. AaronJ would probably know better than me.

If the floor and transom are solid, buy it. The 1895 was a tremendous hull. It was dry, and fast for the time. I've heard of folks getting into the mid 50's MPH with the 225 optimax on this hull.

I owned a 2000 1895 SC with a 2005 225 Opti and it would flirt with 60 mph. Great hull and fantastic fishing layout. Most of the Optimax issues were resolve by 2003 not that it matters with regard to the OP.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Yar's a 1895.
The big motor is a 200 EFI.
The kicker is a 15hp 4 stroke.

Got one 1998. Same motor. Great boat. Mine is a competition YarCraft with a 60 gallon tank. Love it. If it checks out you will be happy with it! My kicker is a Merc 9.9 so runs off the straight gas tank.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 161
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79