What lakes can you catch zander on in ND?

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looks like I'm out of luck....apparently you have to be 21 or younger to catch one based on the pics!

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
interesting~Sam Wenner, of Jamestown, N.D., caught what is expected to be certified as a state and North American record for zander while fishing Aug. 17 on Spiritwood Lake near Jamestown – Spiritwood and nearby Alkali Lake have the only verified zander populations in North America.While they can grow much larger than walleyes, the fact that zanders look very much like their cousin made this fish an overwhelming sight: It weighed 15 pounds, 15 ounces and measured 35-5/8 inches. It also dwarfed the previous state-record zander, also caught in Spiritwood, reportedly in 2013, which weighed 11-3 and measured 32 inches long.

The North Dakota Game and Fish Department reportedly stocked zander in Spiritwood in 1989 – 180,000 fry and 1,050 fingerlings – but dropped the program the next year because of concerns from neighboring states Minnesota, South Dakota and Montana and Canadian province Manitoba. But they remain in the lake in small numbers, with bigger fish reported in recent years.

Wonder how many folks caught a big ole zanderand called it a
big walleye on spirtwood? can't really tell a difference.

- - - Updated - - -

interesting~Sam Wenner, of Jamestown, N.D., caught what is expected to be certified as a state and North American record for zander while fishing Aug. 17 on Spiritwood Lake near Jamestown – Spiritwood and nearby Alkali Lake have the only verified zander populations in North America.

The North Dakota Game and Fish Department reportedly stocked zander in Spiritwood in 1989 – 180,000 fry and 1,050 fingerlings – but dropped the program the next year because of concerns from neighboring states Minnesota, South Dakota and Montana and Canadian province Manitoba. But they remain in the lake in small numbers, with bigger fish reported in recent years.

Last edited:

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I object, the difference is quite noticeable in a Zander from the size of 6" and bigger once you've seen a couple of them.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
20210117_164210.jpg
If someone can't tell the difference between the 2 they have no reason to be on either one of those lakes.

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I'm a big fan of variety and potential for unusual catches. Zander don't breed with walleye and I'd support increased spread. They get huge and they're beautiful. Some stripers and redfish would add more cool diversity to the Tailrace.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm a big fan of variety and potential for unusual catches. Zander don't breed with walleye and I'd support increased spread. They get huge and they're beautiful. Some stripers and redfish would add more cool diversity to the Tailrace.

Maybe the hybrid version of the stripper "wiper" would make a good healthy addition....

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
So...I'm curious. What does a Zander taste like?

A cross between pallid sturgeon and muskie?

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Maybe the hybrid version of the stripper "wiper" would make a good healthy addition....

I wouldn't be against it however they don't have quite the umph as a pure striper. That hybrid is a curious thing. A cross between a salt and freshwater fish...wonder if a white could survive in the ocean?...

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
caught a few wipers fishing a resevior in nebraska,10 to 12'lber's they put up a darn good fight then tied in to some giant strippers fishing lake powell now that's one hellofa fighting fish on light tackle pushing 20lbs

BotnoJoe

Founding Member
Founding Member
So...I'm curious. What does a Zander taste like?

A cross between pallid sturgeon and muskie?

I was once told that it is common for restaurants to have walleye on the menu but actually serve zander. Maybe you have eaten it without knowing

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think you’d be surprised how many times you order fish in a restaurant and it’s a completely different kind of fish entirely

- - - Updated - - -

But as a postscript sidenote I would definitely not order the fried wiper

sdtransplant

Established Member
Not to hi-jack the conversation but personally I don't think you would want stripers in your lakes. 30 plus years ago they put them in Lake Mac and Lake Minatare here in Nebraska, talk about an eating machine. They pretty much clean out any panfish ,walleye and trout in the lakes. i caught one at Minatare fishing for walleye in the spring off the bank , it went 37#, had a mouth you could stick a bowling ball in. This was 25 or so years ago, supposedly they all got fished out or croaked from natural causes. If you bring up restocking them around here it isn't a good conversation with the old timers. They do stock wipers and are a blast to catch, hook one and you never know where its going or for how long.

shorthairman

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Wipers are pretty much considered a sport fish around here. They can get pretty good sized (15# plus), and on light tackle they will test your angling skills. Taste like white bass (I've never eaten striper)...Good thing about wipers is that since they are a hybrid, they do not reproduce, so stocking is the only way to get them into a system. Also, for their size, they do not have a large mouth, thus they do not eat large prey species. Thus, larger crappie, bluegill, etc. are off their menu list...and speaking of menu's....I never eat fish at a restaurant...never...ever. My kid loves fish at home, when he was a lot younger, it took him about 2 times of ordering "fried walleye" at a restaurant (against my telling him not to) to realize this is not the same that mom and dad make at home...

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 115
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 69