Your strangest catch?

MicLee

Founding Member
Founding Member
What is the weirdest thing you have ever caught while fishing? (other than herpes @johnr ) ...rofl...

Mine would have to be a wedding ring. I still wonder what the story behind losing that was.

cooter00

Founding Member
Founding Member
2012-06-03_15-40-05_791.jpg
my Dad caught a rock in the tailrace never would of believed it but I saw it

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
Some fishing poles. Nothing outrageous for me that I can think of.

My brother caught my dad’s ear lobe with a cast once.

My uncle caught his own banana peel with a crankbait that was 150’ back.

bigcatpike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Caught a catfish that had broken off of someone's homemade stringer once, the rope was through the mouth and gills. Cut it off and released the fish.
Another time caught a mud puppy on a deadstick rod ice fishing.
Shore fishing devils lake once I casted out a jig and had a bird swoop down and try to grab the jig, wound up hooking it but it got off, glad I didn't have to deal with that.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Back in the 80s a buddy and I snagged a wire cage through the ice at Devils Lake. We were able to get it up to the bottom of the ice to see what it was. I'd forgotten all about it till now.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Caught a catfish skull once while fishing the Red. Hooked it right through the hole in the tip of it's upper jaw. Thought it meant doom for the rest of the day, but if I recall we ended up doing pretty good.

NodakBob

Honored Member
Caught a bison bone that was used as a hide scraper next to Double Ditch on the Missouri. Also caught a stringer full of walleyes and perch, several rods, caught a sign by the bolt hole that says "Deep Water, No Diving". Was fishing out of a canoe one time and we saw something strange floating so we paddled over to it...it was my wallet! And while snagging salmon at Sak many years ago snagged a treble hook by the eye and it was attached to a long string of a half dozen other lures and trebles, each snagged through the eye of the next one.

jdfisherman

Founding Member
Founding Member
My brother caught a loon - was retrieving a lure and the submerged loon swam into it (or vice versa).

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I remembered one. You guys have maybe had this happen also. I hooked into a fish, had 4-5 head shakes, then felt it pop loose, but it still had some tension. I reeled up and had a 9” perch on that was about 1/2 eaten away by digestion. I’m pretty sure the fish had sucked the jig in, the hook got caught onto the perch that the fish was eating/digesting, and when I set the hook it yanked it out of it’s mouth/gut.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
First thing come to mind is topwater walleye below the Darling Dam. Have won some beer with that. It's akin to a tarpon or snook strike. Same with channel cat BTW. Off Grandad's dock in Fla. I caught LMB, mangrove snapper, jack and a barracuda on the same day on one ShadRap. The shallow Shaprap is the best lure ever conceived except in the Tailrace.

This. Anywhere. All the time (except the Tailrace--it really sucks there. No joke. No shit(?!)):

1664155319644.png
(?!)

Last edited:

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
barbed wire. lid from a bucket. seagulls X several. fishing rod. one of those old collapsible mesh livewell things you'd hang from the side of a boat, and throw panfish in, but it was full of bullheads. Once in the Mouse River in Minot, I caught some line. Pulled it in and a big old pike was on the end - still alive.

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
We've caught all kinds of stuff over the years; seagull(s), lots of other lures, bottom bouncers, rocks, clams, a G-loomis rod, fish that are as small as the lure we were using, a giant tree and a walleye the same time both on the nose hook of a jig rap, a walleye that was hooked with lure of ours that we broke off earlier in the day. I'm sure I've forgotten several things but those are some that standout in the memory bank.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Back when we were little shavers fishing off the Buchanan bridge, my brother swung back with the ole bamboo fishing rods. Hook caught in my eyelid. My mom happen to be standing right there and grabbed the line before he was able to throw it over the side of the bridge.
I caught the skin (leather) of a baseball, and a sock.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 160
  • This month: 139
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 123
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 80