zero turn recommendations

ktm450

★★ Legendary Member
in the market for a new riding lawn mower. i did a search and read the past threads on them but most are over 4 years old so figured this would be a good chance to get newer information and maybe the ones that purchased awhile ago a review on how there mowers are working.

i have 2 acre property with a quite a few trees. Property is mainly smooth as i have pretty much planted the hole works over time. im thinking a 50-60" deck. It must be able to add a bagging system as i do bag from time to time. Looking to spend a max of $5k

kinda looking at these few, but open to options.

1. husqvarna z254F
2. arien ikon xd 52"

I currently have a honda subcompact tractor with a 52" cut and home made bagging system, but want to make the tractor strictly my tilling and snow blowing tractor. ( kinda of a pain in the butt to swap from mower to tiller all the time and if the grass is damp, or has any length at all the chute plugs up)

TIA, ktm
honda.jpg

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I bought a Cub Cadet ZT50 two years ago and love it. I used to use a riding lawn tractor that had a 46" cut and it would take me most of a day to mow my lawn here in the country. Now it takes less than 4 hours an my arms are not feeling like they are falling off. At that time Cub Cadet had a special if paid off in 3 years no interest and a 3 years bumper to bumper warranty. Have had no problems with it and it sips gas. 24hp engine by Kawasaki that's easy to maintain. and comfortable to ride on and easy on and off. Cost me a little over 3 grand at the time, and with the payments I made 150 a month paid for in 2 years using their money because of no interest. No brainer. LB

Wirehair

Founding Member
Founding Member
Son has a Toro TimeCutter ZTR with 50" deck that he uses on a 2 acre yard. Works well for him. I use a JD 1025 with 60" deck on about 2.5 acres. Son cuts his yard in half the time and we both bag in spring and fall. Have used his Toro a few times and have been impressed.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anything but them over priced godawful looking green ones, with the cute little deer on them...
Toro was a go to for my family, all seem to like them.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Have a Husqvarna for the last two years, zero turn, works great with no problems. Mow graveyard with it. Goes around all markers just fine. Does excellent job of mowing and fills leaf bag up with no problems. A lot of that due to blades and keeping sharp. db

woodduck30

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Toro Time Cutter is a good machine. Works well. If you have the money Grasshopper is the way to go. Cleaning the deck and changing blades is very handy with the Grasshopper. It will cut through damn near anything.

ktm450

★★ Legendary Member
Have a Husqvarna for the last two years, zero turn, works great with no problems. Mow graveyard with it. Goes around all markers just fine. Does excellent job of mowing and fills leaf bag up with no problems. A lot of that due to blades and keeping sharp. db

did u have to buy special blades or u using the factory ones?

ktm450

★★ Legendary Member
Son has a Toro TimeCutter ZTR with 50" deck that he uses on a 2 acre yard. Works well for him. I use a JD 1025 with 60" deck on about 2.5 acres. Son cuts his yard in half the time and we both bag in spring and fall. Have used his Toro a few times and have been impressed.

is switching from the bagging system and mulching fairly easy and not too time consuming for either the JD or the toro? The toro looks to be nice but dang there accessories (bagger and multching system are way more then all the other brand accessories)

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought a Gravely ZT HD 60 with Kawasaki motor a few years back. It is awesome, I highly recomend it. ...But looking at current prices, out of your range, especially adding a bagger.

Whatever you do, if you can get a Kawasaki motor, do it. I also have a '98 John Deere lawn tractor with a Kawasaki. The thing is beat to hell, but that motor won't die.

Last edited:

ktm450

★★ Legendary Member
I bought a Cub Cadet ZT50 two years ago and love it. I used to use a riding lawn tractor that had a 46" cut and it would take me most of a day to mow my lawn here in the country. Now it takes less than 4 hours an my arms are not feeling like they are falling off. At that time Cub Cadet had a special if paid off in 3 years no interest and a 3 years bumper to bumper warranty. Have had no problems with it and it sips gas. 24hp engine by Kawasaki that's easy to maintain. and comfortable to ride on and easy on and off. Cost me a little over 3 grand at the time, and with the payments I made 150 a month paid for in 2 years using their money because of no interest. No brainer. LB

do u have the bagger with this? if so how does it do?

I also have the Cub Cadet ZT50 with the Kawasaki and it has been a good machine

do u have the bagger with yours? if so how does it do?

i have been looking for something that has a blower or blower powered off the mower deck to help throw the grass clippings into the bags, but there isnt too many like that. and even less that with are within my price budget.

ktm450

★★ Legendary Member
I bought a Gravely ZT HD 60 with Kawasaki motor a few years back. It is awesome, I highly recomend it. ...But looking at current prices, out of your range, especially adding a bagger.

Whatever you do, if you can get a Kawasaki motor, do it. I also have a '98 John Deere lawn tractor with a Kawasaki. The thing is beat to hell, but that motor won't die.

wow thats a nice machine for sure. and yeah blows the budget out of the water. looking to see if any of these companies have good promotions like 0% interest rate for a few years, that would help with some of the more expensive ones.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Only thing I dont like about mine is they are loud, you will want to wear ear protection. LB

ktm450

★★ Legendary Member
Pull up Cub Cadets web site and go from there. LB

yep thats where im at. was just curious if u used a bagger with yours and if you were happy with it is all.

Only thing I dont like about mine is they are loud, you will want to wear ear protection. LB

thanks for the info. typically wear ear plugs when im mowing anyways. hearing has been going to crap for awhile so trying to protect what i got left.. ha

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 101
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 67