New boat

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you ever watch how the tourney guys treat their boats, they must be beat to
hell by the time they sell them.

Don't forget to get at least 500 horse on whatever you buy. 400
ain't cutting it anymore to be the lake bad ass.

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
You can argue all day about which boats are best and every angler who owns a certain brand is going to tell you how great theirs is. But what probably tells the best story is to go watch a tourney. There's a reason guys in them largely run Rangers and Lunds.........................

Quality absolutely plays a role but don't forget about contingency money. I don't watch tournaments and count the number of a certain brand to determine which boat is the best because these guys are professional and this is how they make there money, which comes down to which boat they either get good incentives on being a pro staff and or which manufacture is putting out the most contingency dollars on the table. Usually it's going to be one of the bigger companies like a Ranger or Lund. There's a reason most of the boats in the FLW series are/were Rangers and it has a lot to do with the extra dollars.....................

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Quality absolutely plays a role but don't forget about contingency money. I don't watch tournaments and count the number of a certain brand to determine which boat is the best because these guys are professional and this is how they make there money, which comes down to which boat they either get good incentives on being a pro staff and or which manufacture is putting out the most contingency dollars on the table. Usually it's going to be one of the bigger companies like a Ranger or Lund. There's a reason most of the boats in the FLW series are/were Rangers and it has a lot to do with the extra dollars.....................

Thats pretty much it. When you get the boats 30% off and then sell every year you run the one thats makes the most money for you

powerman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Like the nwt for example, if you win an event part of the purse is a 18' ranger boat. Now if you are a ranger pro that is upgraded to a 20' boat. Same goes with some of the motors. There is an incentive to run these brands. Also the top brands have repair trailers at the events to take care of issues that arise before and during the events.

Yes, some of the pros use these boats very hard, but others do not. I remember when the nitro just came out with zv21 and Kieth was flying over waves with that thing. He had to have been beating the crap out of it, but us amateurs see that and figure if it can hold up to that abuse it will handle way more than we are willing to do to it. In return for beating up one boat they probably sold 10.

MarbleEyez

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you go with a Warrior, make sure you max that motor out and then prop it and jack-plate it. They are great in rough water, but they're built like a bath tub. I'd rather gap than plow right through them with a warrior. Also, their top end speed sub-par at best.

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you go with a Warrior, make sure you max that motor out and then prop it and jack-plate it. They are great in rough water, but they're built like a bath tub. I'd rather gap than plow right through them with a warrior. Also, their top end speed sub-par at best.

Warriors are big and heavy yes... but jack plate no... trim tabs are a must... I would put tabs on any boat with a flat transom... if you can't put tabs on then the jack plate is the answer

gonefshn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got a laugh about a FB post I read a bit ago. A dealer had a post about one of the boats they sell. A viewer asked how it compares to a XXXX. Their response was they have the best warranty in the market. Didn’t say best boat but best warranty. Lol

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
... but jack plate no... trim tabs are a must... I would put tabs on any boat with a flat transom... if you can't put tabs on then the jack plate is the answer

To me these are different tools for different jobs. Trim Tabs to level uneven loaded boats and provided bow control at slow to medium speeds. Jack-plate to increase top end performance, provide engine setback, help dial in those last few hundred rpm, have adjustability for water conditions, and provided a additional shallow water movement. Yes there might be a little overlap in what each will do but overall I seem them providing different benefits.

ndskeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
You can argue all day about which boats are best and every angler who owns a certain brand is going to tell you how great theirs is. But what probably tells the best story is to go watch a tourney. There's a reason guys in them largely run Rangers and Lunds. The boat business is tough and competitive. If something costs less the chances are it's because it's not built to the same specs. All those tourney guys aren't buying Rangers and Lunds because they're cheaper. It's because they're built to last and hold their values. Quality parts and building cost more. Now if you're not going to go out in 30mph winds on the big lakes or aren't going to use it as much, then you probably don't need to spend that much. And the best option to save a little is to look around at the end of the year and buy one from one of the sponsored guys. You'll get a well made boat with a full warranty that's usually decked out with all the electronics and such that you need.

The real reason you see so many Rangers running the NWT/MWC circuits is the extra contingency money they make. They are there to make money and when you get extra money for placing well by running a Ranger/Evinrude combo that's what you are going to see. Don't fall into the trap of Ranger is better than everything else. You also don't see very many Lunds running the big tournament circuits either.

Last edited:

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
The real reason you see so many Rangers running the NWT/MWC circuits is the extra contingency money they make. They are there to make money and when you get extra money for placing well by running a Ranger/Evinrude combo that's what you are going to see. Don't fall into the trap of Ranger is better than everything else. You also don't see very many Lunds running the big tournament circuits either.

That and they they want to be able to finish with support. Why go out on a limb when you have a giant bag on the first day and have a problem with your rig?

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Its all about advertising --- the big bag comes last.

Here goes my story again on HwY57 --- you had to wait for your set to get over that SOB ---- i hit that highway hard -- but mainly in the bow -- no damage - seen a white ranger go over to the right of us -- and then he throttles down. Were going slow -- its raining crazy and big rollers --all of sudden i see whitey stop and get real low. We both looked at each other and said nothing - -our thought --- SUPPORT will take care of him ---- i guess he had a 6 foot crack down the middle of that rangey --- but he made it back somehow - I think he idled back -or anchored up --- -- i dont know but it was a bitch of a day and i knew we had a bigger bag.

- - - Updated - - -

NITRO -- not enough mentioned about those boats -- Keith had his out in the atlantic. If i could afford (or should i say waste my money) - i would buy one of them. The wife thinks they look da best!!!!!

Where the hell is Sub elect.

- - - Updated - - -

He needs to get his 2cents in here

honkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Shorthairs, u think the nitro is a better built boat than the ranger? Not being a smartass just wondering what your rig of choice is. So much brand slamming I’m starting to think they all suck!! I like that with a ranger I can get set up with a Yamaha without paying a bunch extra.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
Go with what you like. Lovers and haters here of all the brands. I have had them and would not hesitate on a ranger. Any boat that hits a asphalt road wrong will have problems unless you luck out like short evidently did.

Rizzo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Honkerslayer, You will have to find an existing boat with a yamaha if you want one. Yamaha has cut everyone off on engines this year.

This thread should teach you that you need to get out and try them all and see what YOU like best, thats all that matters at the end of the day. See what you have for support after the sale. Don't let one persons opinion of one bad experience ruin something for you. I've had terrible luck with Fords. Doesn't mean I wont give them a fair shake next go round.

I like something about each brand of boat but at the end of the day I own what fits me best and you should to. Again check them all out then report back.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
My boat is a 1980 Lund Tyee. A beater. But I was able to afford three fishing trips to Alaska.

Admittedly I like fishing in my friends Ranger.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Shorthairs, u think the nitro is a better built boat than the ranger? Not being a smartass just wondering what your rig of choice is. So much brand slamming I’m starting to think they all suck!! I like that with a ranger I can get set up with a Yamaha without paying a bunch extra.

Where is sub elect. I was told the nitro weighed more yet has cored fiber on the sides and the hull. Ranger has only the hull cored. To me it looks like the nitro is engineered better. Correct if I am wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
At one time I wanted a tiller and would probably still get a smaller one for small lake puddle jumping but it seems everyone I know that has had one eventually went to a wheel boat.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
At one time I wanted a tiller and would probably still get a smaller one for small lake puddle jumping but it seems everyone I know that has had one eventually went to a wheel boat.

Simple solution. Own both.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 198
  • This month: 168
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 71
  • This month: 59