so is this what Florida hunters think about?

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here we sit on the eve of a new hunting season and instead of worrying about what field or what decoys or even how many decoys to use I'm trying to figure out if I have anything I can wear for this kind of weather! I've never had the shorts and sandals vs slip on debate before going goose hunting before!

SeisMec

Founding Member
Founding Member
Be VERY glad we don't have them in ND. I lived in Louisiana for almost 15 years, fire ant are no laughing matter to little kids. Saw a little 4yr old girl covered with them, SCREAMING; had to strip her to the skin and use the garden hose to wash them off her. Grabbed a towel and her mother on the way through the house and onto very short 10 minute ride at 70+ mph to the ER that seemed to me took forever. She had over 100 bites and it tripped her over into anaphylactic shock as we ran through the ER doors, it was 36 hours of observation before they let her come home. I came away with about 30 bite on my hands and arms and they burnt like a SB for an hours until the prescription Benedril really kicked in good. Had nice red blisters on my hands and arms to reminded for the next week to poison every ant pile I could find in my neighbors yard.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have my share of exp with the damn things. One time while fishing, I looked down and my legs were black with them from the knees down. Drowning doesn't work. They just ball together, float up then attach to the first dry thing they find. In this case, my t-shirt...

Before I left Ga, I found a miracle product called Amdro.

SeisMec

Founding Member
Founding Member
Back then it was diazinon plus Ant Killer: before they banned it for home use. 1oz per gallon, spray about a 2 foot area around the mound with about a 1/4 cup sprayed on top of the mound.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
This Amdro came in a cat litter style jug and you poured it around the mounds and broadcast it over the yard. It looked like greyettes (grits) which I hear work also. They took and down hole and just kept eating it and dying in a perpetual process. The living would harvest it from the dead.

It just occurred to me Dean is not actually in Florida...:mad:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 77
  • This month: 60
  • This month: 52
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 39
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 34
  • This month: 32