Boarding ladder oprions?

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
My Lund has wave wackers that are very necessary. However, I've concluded I need some sort of emergency boarding ladder. Getting in if I fall out alone would be tough. Or if my dad were to fall overboard it would be tough to get him back in too. Any recommendations for a ladder that could be used on the side of the boat? I've seen mesh options but would lime to see what others have. Thanks!

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
In an emergency you could rip off the plastic wave wacker and step up on the motor cavitation plate.

Mine came with a step similar to link below. Bolts to motor mount and stows up with a pin. Much easier than stepping on the cav plate.

For an emergency, I wouldn't rely on anything that isn't permanently attached as Murphy says it would be put away the one time you need it.

https://drewcraft.com/product/emergency-boat-ladder-with-mount-for-engine-bolts/

GSP22366

In an emergency, don't forget you can use the motor tilt to lift someone into the boat. I've had to use this- foot on the cavitation plate - stand with stiff leg. Like pushing a whale over the transom.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree on the motor option. But would like another. The ransom motor mount ones I just don’t see working with my splash guards. My brother in law has a mesh one permanently attached in a bag that came factory on his Crestliner. Trying to find similar that someone has experience with.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Years ago, just about everyone who had a ski boat used a portable ladder that hooked over the side of the boat with pegs that held it away a little from the boat. Supposed to keep the ladder from tilting under the boat and vertical with the side. Worked OK as I remember but I was crawling in when I was in my teens and early 20's and kept in pretty good shape. Not sure how it would work for me now in my 70's.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Years ago, just about everyone who had a ski boat used a portable ladder that hooked over the side of the boat with pegs that held it away a little from the boat. Supposed to keep the ladder from tilting under the boat and vertical with the side. Worked OK as I remember but I was crawling in when I was in my teens and early 20's and kept in pretty good shape. Not sure how it would work for me now in my 70's.
Same
We have that same set up, as I too have the wave whackers on the back. I am older and not as skinny as I once was, they still work to get me in, however would only be hanging over the side on purpose, never would I have it dropped over for the just in case emergency application.

I have road the motor up and into the boat using the trim button, it works.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
^^^^^^^^^^^^^ http://www.delzer.com/oneasg/garelick-catalog/44/ picture of what I have. I keep rope tied in corner for unloading boat and tying to docks which I can grab once I am on the ladder or person in boat can throw to me if needed. Safety first I have been in couple issues while fishing with others and me too. With all our ages I just can't grab boat and fling myself in boat no more

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 191
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 146
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93