O Central ND PPR area.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
A buddy and I hit up one of the lakes north of Steele today. Fished from about 1500 to 2130. Man was it dark, foggy and misty! It really made coming off the lake interesting! There was a slightly softened 16 inches of ice with up to 1.5 inches of water on top of the ice in some areas, some really small areas had about 3-4 inches of water on top of the ice with a frozen crust. Kinda makes you pucker up when you hit the crusted over stuff.

We ended up with one 8.5 inch perch, 7 keepable walleye with maybe ten throwbacks between 5 and 13 inches.

Walleye_Chaser

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was in south central ND and the fishing was awful as well. Lots of water on the ice and it's deteriorating quickly. :cry:

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I went out to New John's on Sunday. Just walked out from the north ramp and drilled some holes. Lots of little perch in 17-18 ft of water, nothing worth keeping. Ice was still about 15 inches (guesstimate), but lots of water on top of the ice from melting snow.

Still, fishing through the ice on a 60 degree day was not something one gets to do often.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone comment on fat south central ND and ice conditions? Curious if there will be any ice good enough to fish this weekend?

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
About the same ice conditions at Lake Metigoshe except there is still quite a bit of snow n the ice. I brought the house home today and probably won't bring it out again unless we get a good cold snap. It's the shoreline where we drive onto the lake that spooks me. Salt and sand tracks on the ice and the ice goes faster there. One year I was walking around on 14-15 inches of ice all day and coming off , right in front of the access road I went kerplunk in 5' of water. There was just a skim of ice with snow over it . Been a fun year, Iv'e fished almost every day since the 1st of the year except for the cold snap we had. Nothing to really brag about for fish but it was fun catching Northerns and watching them on the camera. A few guys are still chasing bluegills but the older I get the more I enjoy staying put and drink coffee and watch everyone else move around.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 143
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88