Considering New Trolling Motor

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
^tikk...you guys that run the race in winter got big hardcore balls...bigger than mine anyway! I'd love to experience the race...but in someone's else's boat...that has the know how and experience! So that being said...you ever need a deck hand or someone to back your boat in and ride along...you give me a shout!

defiant1

Honored Member
I would get the XI5 again paired with Lowrance. No complaints from this one.

Do you have the Xi5 Pinpoint model? Also, do you happen to know if you can pair up a Motorguide with a Humminbird unit? I am looking to upgrade my Terrova and am trying to decide between a Motorguide Pinpoint or MinnKota Ulterra.

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do you have the Xi5 Pinpoint model? Also, do you happen to know if you can pair up a Motorguide with a Humminbird unit? I am looking to upgrade my Terrova and am trying to decide between a Motorguide Pinpoint or MinnKota Ulterra.

minnkota and humminbird are owned by the same parent company so they work together

motorguide and lowrance have a partnership

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Another reason why I've decided on the Xi5...got Lowrance units.

defiant1

Honored Member
no. you can't.

minnkota and humminbird are owned by the same parent company so they work together

motorguide and lowrance have a partnership

Another reason why I've decided on the Xi5...got Lowrance units.

Well, that is unfortunate. I don't want to have to purchase a depth finder with a trolling motor. Damn trolling motors are expensive enough. So, I guess I need to decide between a 72" long shaft Terrova or Ulterra (the big factor is difference in price).

d1

EDIT:
****So you guys are saying I can't use an adapter as shown in the link below to connect my HBird to a MG trolling motor???****
http://www.motorguide.com/store/accessory/wireless/transducer-adapter-cable

Last edited:

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm so used to running the motor, I use none of the features of I pilot link. I use spot lock and that's about it. I haven't even used the "jog" feature on the regular I pilot yet. Creatures of habit we are.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
ha ha ha - I am also a creature of habit typically - but I actually jog my way across/along pitching/jigging terrain now

- - - Updated - - -

I’ve gotten more methodical in my older years I guess

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
Defiant, I think those are just for connecting the ducer in the trolling motor to your bird. Not sure it will give you all of the other features that come with having your trolling motor connected to your sonar/mapping unit though.

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well, that is unfortunate. I don't want to have to purchase a depth finder with a trolling motor. Damn trolling motors are expensive enough. So, I guess I need to decide between a 72" long shaft Terrova or Ulterra (the big factor is difference in price).

d1

EDIT:
****So you guys are saying I can't use an adapter as shown in the link below to connect my HBird to a MG trolling motor???****
http://www.motorguide.com/store/accessory/wireless/transducer-adapter-cable

those are transducer cable adapters... that is so you can use the transducer built into the motor and view the 2d imaging on any graph not control the trolling motor using the graph... imo if you have a bird already get the minnkota terrova or ulterra are both good (i have an 80lb terrova and it works for me 75% of the time, I tend to do some things that are odd ball though and that is the 25% I could use the extra thurst) IMO big benefits to go to the 36v motors, more run time and more thrust when you need it... you have 3 batteries instead of 2 so that alone gives you 1/3 more amp hours... since you have more thrust instead of running at 75% thrust to get 1.2mph you may only need to run at 50% so you will get more run time out of the batteries also. no one ever complains about a long shaft. either of the minnkota motors will work the only real difference is the auto deploy on the ulterra. i would be sure to get the +Link with either so that your HB will talk to it

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
In the year 2525, if man is still alive
If woman can survive, they may find
In the year 3535
Ain't gonna need to tell the truth, tell no lie
Everything you think, do and say
Is in the pill you took today
In the year 4545
You ain't gonna need your teeth, won't need your eyes
You won't find a thing to chew
Nobody's gonna look at you
In the year 5555
Your arms hangin' limp at your sides
Your legs got nothin' to do
Some machine's doin' that for you
In the year 6565
You won't need no husband, won't need no wife
You'll pick your son, pick your daughter too
From the bottom of a long glass tube

In the year 7510
If God's a coming, He oughta make it by then
Maybe He'll look around Himself and say
Guess it's time for the judgment day
In the year 8510
God is…

BGH

Founding Member
Founding Member
With Garmin buying out Navionics, I’m intrigued to see where Lowrance goes from here.

defiant1

Honored Member
those are transducer cable adapters... that is so you can use the transducer built into the motor and view the 2d imaging on any graph not control the trolling motor using the graph... imo if you have a bird already get the minnkota terrova or ulterra are both good (i have an 80lb terrova and it works for me 75% of the time, I tend to do some things that are odd ball though and that is the 25% I could use the extra thurst) IMO big benefits to go to the 36v motors, more run time and more thrust when you need it... you have 3 batteries instead of 2 so that alone gives you 1/3 more amp hours... since you have more thrust instead of running at 75% thrust to get 1.2mph you may only need to run at 50% so you will get more run time out of the batteries also. no one ever complains about a long shaft. either of the minnkota motors will work the only real difference is the auto deploy on the ulterra. i would be sure to get the +Link with either so that your HB will talk to it

Well, I settled on the Ulterra with iPilot Link. Way more $$$ than I wanted to spend, but I fish by myself a lot and I think the convenience of the auto stow/deploy of the Ulterra and the contour mapping/tracking the iPilot Link provides, will let me do more fishing and less navigating. Now I just need to finish getting all the accessories so I can network the 3 HBird fishfinders.

d1

Last edited:

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Congrats d1...I'm going with the Xi5, but I've got Lowrance units. Come on warm weather!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 162
  • This month: 150
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 124
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88