Grain Bin accident

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Might be best to put some sort of blender type arm all the way to the top with some beater bars on it, flip that bitch on and agitate it to the auger.

You'd need an electric motor big enough for a train engine to get it moving in a packed-full bin. Not to mention, what would you make it out of that wouldn't bend all to heck?

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think a good idea would be to always dry your grain and then move it to long term storage so it does not have the needed moisture to clump/bridge up.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hmmm farmers need a new invention. What if someone could manufacture an inflatable ring around the inside edge of the bin about a foot or two diameter like a huge donut.

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll just put it out there. Spray foam the interior of the bin so it is not corrugated inside? That may not help with the bridging? Or will it? Those corrugated inside walls may be what supports the bridge.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Trying to store grain that is too wet is a disaster waiting to happen. and those silo type steel grain bins were invented back in horse and buggy days and serve only one purpose. If I were a big farmer I'd spend my grain storage money on Quonset type buildings and push the grain to the auger with a loader tractor. Then when you retire you have a place to park your toys

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I'll just put it out there. Spray foam the interior of the bin so it is not corrugated inside? That may not help with the bridging? Or will it? Those corrugated inside walls may be what supports the bridge.

Previously addressed by SDMF and I agree with both of you.

FUN FACT: You're dead in 20 min dangling from "first gen" fall protection. Your heart "explodes". Wingmen are essential for shit even if they are only good for communication.

7mmMag

Founding Member
Founding Member
FUN FACT: You're dead in 20 min dangling from "first gen" fall protection. Your heart "explodes". Wingmen are essential for shit even if they are only good for communication.

Trauma Straps
[FONT=&quot]Fortunately, there is a simple solution to protect against suspension trauma: personal protective equipment known as trauma straps. Trauma straps are a pair of straps, one with hooks in it and the other with loops for the hooks to attach to. They are coiled up in pouches and attached to the fall harness at the hips. When a worker falls and comes to rest, he would uncoil the straps, hook them together, and brace his weight against the straps. This allows the fallen worker to stand up in his fall harness, utilizing his leg muscles, taking weight off of his arteries, and restoring blood circulation until help arrives.[/FONT]

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
But he gained Iceman after his fall incident and subsequent attitude adjustment...

Let's not let this go off the rail: Much experience/tech/advancement is available to combat the hazards of a big tube.

- - - Updated - - -

I believe work/research should be initiated concerning smoothing the inner wall.

Last edited:

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Previously addressed by SDMF and I agree with both of you.

Most people don’t know this fun fact. I wear fall protection a lot and my harness has leg straps that I can deploy to stand up in and keep the blood flowing. But if I’m hanging 150ft in the air and can have the presence of mind to deploy and buckle the leg straps is a different story. I carry a very sharp pocket knife with at all times and in my mind I tell myself I’ll cut lanyard before I die of a massive cardiac arrest but who knows if that time ever comes what my mind will do.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
If the grain bridging or sticking to the side of the bin causing avalanching danger is because the grain is too wet, the answer is DRYING the grain out in place, not entering the bin and trying to get the grain falling/moving. Get a 100K t0 150K BTU salamander propane burner and a portable propane tank that can be towed behind your vehicle and fire up the burner with the heat directed into the bin and dry the grain out until it falls of it's own weight. Not ever been a farmer, but if that would work it would be a cheap, safe solution.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think a good idea would be to always dry your grain and then move it to long term storage so it does not have the needed moisture to clump/bridge up.

If the grain bridging or sticking to the side of the bin causing avalanching danger is because the grain is too wet, the answer is DRYING the grain out in place, not entering the bin and trying to get the grain falling/moving. Get a 100K t0 150K BTU salamander propane burner and a portable propane tank that can be towed behind your vehicle and fire up the burner with the heat directed into the bin and dry the grain out until it falls of it's own weight. Not ever been a farmer, but if that would work it would be a cheap, safe solution.​

There's a big difference between slowing down a bit moving binned product either to the dryer, a truck, or a different bin vs. slowing down harvest so as to only have thoroughly dried product going into the bin. Harvest would take months if famers ran it all through a dryer prior to storage.

There isn't enough air-flow volume through a portable propane heater. If that worked, big farms wouldn't have those giant dryers and all of the piping and augers to get product into/out of them, they'd just have a dryer on the fan for every bin.

- - - Updated - - -

Hmmm farmers need a new invention. What if someone could manufacture an inflatable ring around the inside edge of the bin about a foot or two diameter like a huge donut.

Are you thinking about a top-down device to beat on the grain to dis-lodge it? Or, a bottom-up air bladder that one could fill and release to break the bridge/sticktion?

Last edited:

fireone

★★★★★ Legendary Member
It isn't that farmers don't know how to condition and handle grain. It's that sometimes they don't do it. NDSU has endless info on the subject and that info is known by anybody in the business. There are no real shortcuts to aerating grain, it just takes time. Dryers speed up the process but add to the expense.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 97
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33