How are some of these sloughs stocked?

doober113

Just a question that I have always wondered about. Each year you hear about a slough in the middle of nowhere with a hot perch bite. The slough has no name, no stocking report, in some cases no road to it either. How do you think these places end up with perch or any fish for that matter in them. Some of them were dry years ago and now that they filled up fish have also popped up in them. I have heard that some people dumped their catch in them when another perch bite was hot hoping to stock their own pond, I have heard that pelicans have transferred fish from one location to another. Occasionally one body of water will overrun and bring fish. Also heard that occasionally fish eggs will pass through a duck's digestive system and be transferred from one spot to another. Just curious what all you think on this matter.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pike eggs in particular are sticky and laid up in shallow creeks, etc. This allows ducks and other critters to get them stuck on them, they then fly to the next nearest water body, preen their feathers, and a viable egg or two are now in a whole new body of water.

That's the method which has probably put pike into my pond over the years, because I know I haven't stocked it with pike. Granted, none have been seen since the last time it went dry, so it's not as easy as it sounds.

And, of course, there's always the person who thinks they know best and throw their own favorite fish in a pond hoping it starts a viable population. It's how we got carp.

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member
PgJ4.gif

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bucket Biologists. Nothing better than an extra fertile prairie pothole becoming a Jumbolino perch factory, and nothing worse than some dunce putting pike in a healthy centrarchid system.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Don't have an answer to how fish become established. Do find it interesting that an egg could stick to a ducks butt and then hatch in another lake leading to a huge population but the G&F stocking thousands in a body of water doesn't always seem to make much difference.

thriller1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Be cool if ducks/pelicans could start a Zander fishing spot

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
they took a bunch out of hobart -- transferred them to other sloughs. Hobart was stocked with fry originally.

- - - Updated - - -

transfered adults.

- - - Updated - - -

perch - overrated imo

- - - Updated - - -

the amount of equipment in dollars that some guys spend to catch a little perch that hardly has any meat and eats shit off the bottom of a slough --- ah ok

- - - Updated - - -

Be cool if ducks/pelicans could start a Zander fishing spot

^^^^^^this

henegar the best ever

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
There are plenty of perch sloughs that are not on the g&f map. I'd wager that the majority of them are from someone dumping a bucket of perch in at one time - can't imagine it takes much if they are egg laying size. Have had a couple farmers tell me of sloughs they've dumped fish in to see what happens. Unfortunately in their cases nothing happened.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 191
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 146
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88