Livescope battery help

shorthairman

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Hey guys, figured I would go to the experts to help me with what battery you all recommended for my boat livescope unit. The battery will only be used to power the 106 Garmin and the livescope unit and nothing else. My son showed me a unit that plugs into the black box and you can run it off power tool batteries, but I’m not sure if this is the best idea or not. Appreciate any help!

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hey guys, figured I would go to the experts to help me with what battery you all recommended for my boat livescope unit. The battery will only be used to power the 106 Garmin and the livescope unit and nothing else. My son showed me a unit that plugs into the black box and you can run it off power tool batteries, but I’m not sure if this is the best idea or not. Appreciate any help!
If you do that dont leave the batterys in it will drain it and kill the battery so it will not charge. I have a set up like than on the fan for the dog kennel and found out the hard way with a 60v dewalt battery

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was thinking those units took a decent amount of current. Depending on what you have for power tool batteries, I would think it wouldn't last long? But that is just an uneducated guess.

But then again with the new stuff, it shouldn't take long to get a limit. ;) Good luck with the unit. Fun times ahead.

Last edited:

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pricepoint would help the discussion.

Most lithium battery makers make 30ah-60ah batteries that would work well for your needs. I had a posrtable 126 with Livescope powered by a 30ah lithium and it lasted all day with no worries.

I am running a 16v 100ah Powerhouse Lithium for 2-12 inch Lowrance, 2-12 inch Garmins, 1-16 inch Garmin, and 2 Livescopes. I may be on the edge of empty after a long day.

Bauer

Founding Member
Founding Member

Since your question doesn't involve any information about a shuttle, I presume you are looking at mounting this permanently in your boat and maybe having the battery under the counsel or something in that form factor. If considering drill batteries to provide power in this situation, something to consider is both accessibility to the batteries and the likelihood of forgetting the batteries at home on the bench on the charger. Whereas if you were to go with a standard lithium battery mounted under the dash, you can leave the charging cable in the boat attached to the battery and plug it into your shore power to charge both that, and your other on-board batteries at the same time. Running a dual drill battery setup, the likelihood of not charging a second battery, or forgetting the batteries at home could potentially increase the number of quarters into the swear jar at the boat landing.

To run the application you are presenting, and presuming not continuous use, here is some information that may be of benefit.
10" Screen and Livescope - 30Ah for 10 hours. 32Ah for 13+ hours. 48AH for 19+ hours.

If you are switching this unit on and off throughout the day, you could likely get away with a 20Ah battery. If you have intentions of leaving it on all day, I wouldn't consider anything less than a 30Ah battery.

Alternatively, if you are running a shuttle setup, most shuttles now days have a space built in to contain the battery, and most shuttles do accommodate up to the 30Ah batteries with ease. This creates less weight and overall bulk as a size factor. Between the mounting of the graph, black box, and battery/cabling, it could potentially lead to some fabrication issues to try to accommodate the drill battery system and you still run the risk of forgetting to charge items or forgetting them behind on the bench. When I ran my 126SV and LV32 setup on a summit fishing shuttle, I ran an amped outdoors 30Ah lithium battery. I added a 2-terminal plug to the battery and hung it out the back of the bag. When I would plug in shore power, I would split off another drop cord to the shuttle and charge my lithium at the same time. I could fish an 8-hour tournament with the pack on all day and still have plenty of battery left to spare.

At the end of the day, it is up to your budget to determine the route you want to go, and no matter the route you take, make sure to put an inline switch in place to shut power off to the black box while it is sitting idle, or it will drain any battery it is hooked up to.

Have fun!

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I run a 30 AH Amped Outdoors on a 9" screen with LVS 34 system, will get me through a 10 hour day of fishing no problem. I've chosen to leave mine in the shuttle on the boat so it's easier to remove the entire system at the end of the day and bring to the safety of the house.

shorthairman

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I was thinking those units took a decent amount of current. Depending on what you have for power tool batteries, I would think it wouldn't last long? But that is just an uneducated guess.

But then again with the new stuff, it shouldn't take long to get a limit. ;) Good luck with the unit. Fun times ahead.
I’m not that good of a fisherman…need all the help I can get…thus the Livescope!

shorthairman

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Since your question doesn't involve any information about a shuttle, I presume you are looking at mounting this permanently in your boat and maybe having the battery under the counsel or something in that form factor. If considering drill batteries to provide power in this situation, something to consider is both accessibility to the batteries and the likelihood of forgetting the batteries at home on the bench on the charger. Whereas if you were to go with a standard lithium battery mounted under the dash, you can leave the charging cable in the boat attached to the battery and plug it into your shore power to charge both that, and your other on-board batteries at the same time. Running a dual drill battery setup, the likelihood of not charging a second battery, or forgetting the batteries at home could potentially increase the number of quarters into the swear jar at the boat landing.

To run the application you are presenting, and presuming not continuous use, here is some information that may be of benefit.
10" Screen and Livescope - 30Ah for 10 hours. 32Ah for 13+ hours. 48AH for 19+ hours.

If you are switching this unit on and off throughout the day, you could likely get away with a 20Ah battery. If you have intentions of leaving it on all day, I wouldn't consider anything less than a 30Ah battery.

Alternatively, if you are running a shuttle setup, most shuttles now days have a space built in to contain the battery, and most shuttles do accommodate up to the 30Ah batteries with ease. This creates less weight and overall bulk as a size factor. Between the mounting of the graph, black box, and battery/cabling, it could potentially lead to some fabrication issues to try to accommodate the drill battery system and you still run the risk of forgetting to charge items or forgetting them behind on the bench. When I ran my 126SV and LV32 setup on a summit fishing shuttle, I ran an amped outdoors 30Ah lithium battery. I added a 2-terminal plug to the battery and hung it out the back of the bag. When I would plug in shore power, I would split off another drop cord to the shuttle and charge my lithium at the same time. I could fish an 8-hour tournament with the pack on all day and still have plenty of battery left to spare.

At the end of the day, it is up to your budget to determine the route you want to go, and no matter the route you take, make sure to put an inline switch in place to shut power off to the black box while it is sitting idle, or it will drain any battery it is hooked up to.

Have fun!
Thank you for the info, and sorry for the lack of information. The graph is permanently mounted in the bow and I have plenty of room for the battery. I have everything set up and ready to go (in-line kill switch included) I just need a battery. Would probably leave the unit on the whole time so I appreciate your battery duration information!

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Congratulations! The fish literally jump in the boat with these things:)

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you do that dont leave the batterys in it will drain it and kill the battery so it will not charge. I have a set up like than on the fan for the dog kennel and found out the hard way with a 60v dewalt battery
if you induce voltage from another battery, they will take a charge again.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 208
  • This month: 182
  • This month: 164
  • This month: 138
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 98
  • This month: 96
  • This month: 90