Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Screenshot_20240308-075245_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240308-075427_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240308-075530_Chrome.jpg

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
All right... that bowfishing/spearing for catfish thing really came out of left field for me.

Can anybody shine light on that? Are catfish targetable in some of the tribs or what's the story? Really interesting if that's the case.

Or is this just a scuba spearing thing and they threw the bowfishing in just for the fairness of it?

eseamands

Founding Member
Founding Member
All right... that bowfishing/spearing for catfish thing really came out of left field for me.

Can anybody shine light on that? Are catfish targetable in some of the tribs or what's the story? Really interesting if that's the case.

Or is this just a scuba spearing thing and they threw the bowfishing in just for the fairness of it?
Catfish are legal in SD with a spear/archery equipment. Often year round. We spend a lot of time on Shadehill near Lemmon, SD and my cousin does this a lot during the summer. He targets them with his bow, along with carp, and does pretty well from their pontoon that is set up with lights.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wish they would allow the use of cast nets for smelt... Their aversion to cast nets is an ongoing peeve of mine.

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member

If you watch the NDGF ND Outdoors video on the updated proclamation you'll hear Greg Power refer to the bow fishing folks as a fraternity and that's a good description. They're passionate about their sport and want to maximize opportunity. I was at an advisory board meeting where a bow fisherman was requesting expansion of species they can harvest.

Happy for them that NDGF is allowing more opportunity. Don't know of anyone upset about more catfish harvest.

And yes there are many species lurking around in shallow Missouri backwaters.

Last edited:

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm a bow fisherman who started with a POS recurve in 1974. I've always felt that they were far too restrictive limiting take to trashy fish only and am happy as well. I was just surprised at the thought that catfish were that targetable.

I just might dust off my 1980s era equipment and try catfish if I can find a place in the Coleharbor area to try it (when I visit my mom). Are the cats a night time only situation in your opinion?

eseamands

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm a bow fisherman who started with a POS recurve in 1974. I've always felt that they were far too restrictive limiting take to trashy fish only and am happy as well. I was just surprised at the thought that catfish were that targetable.

I just might dust off my 1980s era equipment and try catfish if I can find a place in the Coleharbor area to try it (when I visit my mom). Are the cats a night time only situation in your opinion?
I would have to ask Conner if they've ever had any luck with the cats during the day. They primarily load up in the evening when everyone else is coming off the lake and have had a lot of fun. He always says you would be incredibly surprised how shallow big walleyes get at night and how tempting that can become!

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would have to ask Conner if they've ever had any luck with the cats during the day. They primarily load up in the evening when everyone else is coming off the lake and have had a lot of fun. He always says you would be incredibly surprised how shallow big walleyes get at night and how tempting that can become!
I always have thought I guy would be surprised at how many different fish push up really shallow at night.

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
REALLY? FOR BAIT? WTF!!!!!!! So if you have permission from a landowner to trap the creek on his land, how can the GFP regulate that??? FkN Gov't!!

It's been combat trapping around Bismarck so the regs are in response to those shenanigans.

I wouldn't be too worried about the ID stuff if you're the only one on private land. But this new law would provide for penalties if you caught someone tampering with your trap and don't want to deal with taking them to the train station.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well, none of it applies where I trap, it just pisses me off that the gov't regulates trapping bait! I trap creek chubs and minnows. I have no bait shop so I'm forced into it. I won't get minnows in the creek and won't get chubs in the dams. So if I were to only put one out, I'd be forced to choose. And you're not gonna get many chubs in one trap unless you're in a really good spot and the timing is right. It takes a few traps in the creeks I trap just to last a weekend.

And where I trap, they just steal your shit. Putting my name on it would just let them know who's shit they're stealing. I WISH they would just take the bait out of it and leave it alone.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just always had the thought that catfish were always in dirty /stained water which would make for a difficult hunt with bow. Maybe totally wrong . . .🤔

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’d like to see them change the regulations on number of poles used when downrigging for salmon. Make the boundaries from Alcatraz-deadman’s south to the dam. Plenty of anglers fish alone and can handle stacking rods. Sometimes having those extra lines out can help you hone in on the depth they are that. Being the state pumps as much money into the salmon program and the fact that the fish die after spawning anyhow it would help to increase the take and not “waste” so many fish. Sometimes it can be a long ass day out there with only 2 rods and no action. My .02

1bigfokker

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's been combat trapping around Bismarck so the regs are in response to those shenanigans.

I wouldn't be too worried about the ID stuff if you're the only one on private land. But this new law would provide for penalties if you caught someone tampering with your trap and don't want to deal with taking them to the train station.
The train station is the best option.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 191
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 146
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93