new to ND deer hunting

grumpy grouse

hey guys, I finally got drawn for deer hunting this year and this will mark the first time I've gotten to deer hunt in north dakota. Being from northern minnesota the style of deer hunting seems a little different than what i'm used too. however, i'm excited to give it a shot out here. is there any last minute advice you all have or is it basically the same as back in the woods?

i've already got permission to hunt on some land so that's taken care of but am curious is you suggest a ground blind or just to walk for most of it

thanks in advance!

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you're gun hunting don't venture out until the 2nd week and make that Thursday your last day. Study trails/habitats/movement. Set up a stand with plenty orange around your location. Don't set up in the middle of a section surrounded by well traveled roads. Make sure you're shooting into the ground. My .02. Good luck.

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Does the land have cover and are you the only person with permission?

The way I grew up deer hunting was to make the land we hunted a sanctuary. The neighbors usually did the same deer drives every year on opening weekend and every weekend after and that was a great way for us to shoot a big deer. Just wait for them to send one to us. After the first weekend, the deer would just stay on the land we hunted and from that point we just needed to know where they would go to feed and we'd sit overlooking that trail waiting for the opportunity we wanted. It may take a year to figure it out, but for us the deer did the same thing every year. It was clockwork knowing where they would run out on opening day, where they would bed and feed the rest of the season, and where the bucks would like to take their does.

So if it were me, I would be watching from a distance on opening afternoon/saturday and see if anything is chased into where you plan to hunt. Once they are on your safe zone, I would figure out what their pattern is. It's likely you bust a deer in early morning traveling back to cover from feed or a big dumb buck watching does on the fringe of cover in the middle of the day. Do everything you can to not spook any deer off your property; don't go to them, go to where they will be. That's my opinion anyway.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cattails are almost always better than trees

Buck knows damn right. "My" stand features a 10 acre clearing with scattered pines, an old growth oak tree row to my right, a dense pine patch 250yds in front, a scrub oak tree row to the left, a "dry" cattail slough 400yds further left with paths like a corn maze and "infinity" CRP behind. It's perfect although my buck success is dubious.

I'm on an obvious corner and most of my kills are in the evening when work lets out. The headers, gravel skids and barrels flying out windows tend to get things moving. In fact my current trophy is a 120ish 9 point from prone during the last five minutes of '09. It was chasing a doe and stopped at about 400 in the CRP. It was the only time since the '83 purchase I "needed" a 7mag...she was so awesome. I sight 3in high at 100. I held right on the "backline" and spined the SOB.

Too much talking:

Last edited:

grumpy grouse

Does the land have cover and are you the only person with permission?

The way I grew up deer hunting was to make the land we hunted a sanctuary. The neighbors usually did the same deer drives every year on opening weekend and every weekend after and that was a great way for us to shoot a big deer. Just wait for them to send one to us. After the first weekend, the deer would just stay on the land we hunted and from that point we just needed to know where they would go to feed and we'd sit overlooking that trail waiting for the opportunity we wanted. It may take a year to figure it out, but for us the deer did the same thing every year. It was clockwork knowing where they would run out on opening day, where they would bed and feed the rest of the season, and where the bucks would like to take their does.

So if it were me, I would be watching from a distance on opening afternoon/saturday and see if anything is chased into where you plan to hunt. Once they are on your safe zone, I would figure out what their pattern is. It's likely you bust a deer in early morning traveling back to cover from feed or a big dumb buck watching does on the fringe of cover in the middle of the day. Do everything you can to not spook any deer off your property; don't go to them, go to where they will be. That's my opinion anyway.
most is farm land with a few ponds, one spot has a small pond with a few apple trees, and the other is a small cluster of three ponds, so i'm trying to determine if i should throw out a ground blind or not

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Gun season, a lot of things go out the window. If you're hunting posted, private land, I'd just set up on a stool in some cover and make sure you have a nice view of the travel routes. If you're in early and set up quiet, you'll see deer when everyone around you is pushing the adjacent cover.

Muleybuck

Find A Sign like this and sit by it. :ROFLMAO:

Deer Crossing.JPG

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93