North Dakota mysteries

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone listen to the Dakota Spotlight podcast ? I'd never listened to a webcast in my life until I ran across this one but these are interesting enough to capture and keep my attention. Investigative reporter James Wolner has interesting interviews with friends and family and those who were part of high profile ND crime cases. Iv'e listened to quite a bit of the Cotton case from Williston and noticed that a series about the Chad Issak case was just released so listened to a few min of that and that one captured my attention too. If you like local mysteries and crime solving stories it's worth a look.

Description​

Dakota Spotlight, by James Wolner, is a deep-dive True Crime podcast with national recognition. Regional Emmy award for season 3 documentary film The House on Sweet and Seventh.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
My favorite bartender has been yammering about this for a few weeks now, she is addicted to it.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah I have listened to this podcast but I prefer Midwest murder, the commentators are great chemistry that helps them tell their stories.
Regardless though I'm always a big fan of local history whoever tells it

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
That Tagus shit always creeps me out. Anything about that? I heard of that place in Sicily '87-'88.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm sure there is but I haven't ran across it. Did you hear about MAFB and Ruthville area back in the late 70s . I skimmed through the book but I forget the exact details but I believe some from MAFB were involved and it linked to a college by the river in Bismarck and to NYC and Son of Sam.

pointer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Read the book " The ultiment Evil" I have heard of first hand experience of David Birkawitz in Bismarck around this time, trying to pick up young girls at Simle Jr high, very scary. My neighbor s niece was murdered in California at stanford University and it involved the whole son of Sam killings . Good read but chilling

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Read the book " The ultiment Evil" I have heard of first hand experience of David Birkawitz in Bismarck around this time, trying to pick up young girls at Simle Jr high, very scary. My neighbor s niece was murdered in California at stanford University and it involved the whole son of Sam killings . Good read but chilling
The Ultimate Evil is the actual name of the book. I read it when I was a teenager and it still sticks in my mind on a regular basis. The murder of that young lady at Stanford was horrific.

The whole Son of Sam thing has a lot of ND connections. Some of the Carr family were at the Minot AFB and had some pretty mysterious deaths. When I lived in Williston back in the early 90s, one could readily find a lot of Satanic carvings, grafiti, pentagrams drawn in the grass/dirt, etc down on the Corps land SW of Williston. I bow hunted that area and was always on edge because it was pretty evident a lot of what I stumbled across was recent.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm sure there is but I haven't ran across it. Did you hear about MAFB and Ruthville area back in the late 70s . I skimmed through the book but I forget the exact details but I believe some from MAFB were involved and it linked to a college by the river in Bismarck and to NYC and Son of Sam.

You would really like the Ultimate Evil book by Maury Terry.

Good Lord, it's been over 30 years since I read the book and I still remember the name of the author without even having to think about it. GREAT read...

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
The book is called Ultimate Evil and it starts with a young girl from Bismarck that was killed in a church in California and goes into the son of Sam connections in ND

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member

From what I know the first dog talked to Berkowitz on the SW end of housing. When I first got up here that section of housing was a ghost town awaiting demolition. I once knew the street: Sadly even after lucking into a choice end module; I began to HATE dogs: HOLY FUCK people--control your dog's barking. Son of Sam should be a warning. Also, don't ignore bleeding gums as they could lead to heart disease.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
There's also there's a legend about about a B-52 tailgunner shooting through a house in Ruthville. It's rumored Ruthville was established to stop "Remote Assignment" pay for us "poor" bastids.

Malmstrom gets the most attention: There was also a "UFO" incident in the Minot controlled missile field. Wanting to stay "away" seems to invite/concede to creepy shit:

Not ND: Still cool:

Last edited:

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Who was group of waco's that bought old town house think by mott or something was cult like was that same son of sam?

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Who was group of waco's that bought old town house think by mott or something was cult like was that same son of sam?
Are you talking about the town of Leith and that crazy craig cobb? Wanted to buy up the whole town and turn it into a white supremacist mecca. No idea what ever happened to that idiot.

Anyone remember hearing about Father X in Karlsruhe, ND?

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Are you talking about the town of Leith and that crazy craig cobb? Wanted to buy up the whole town and turn it into a white supremacist mecca. No idea what ever happened to that idiot.

Anyone remember hearing about Father X in Karlsruhe, ND?

Never heard about Father X but I remember Father John Owens , He had a radio show from Douglas ND. Callers could call in and dedicate songs to your special friends . He acted like a counselor and had a way to get teens to talk about problems in their relationships . I found out just a year ago that he was a sex predator . I hope they all rot in hell. That jello pudding pop idiot too. These are guys I most likely would have trusted with my kids .

https://www.kfyrtv.com/2021/04/06/c...story-of-clergy-abuse-in-north-dakota-part-1/

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
I remember Father John Owens KFYR radio show well.
Padre's Platter, he called it.
Talked with him a few times, seemed like a good guy and very caring. Now to hear this, wow.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
Father John Owens was just one of several priests that were perverts in North Dakota. It’s been public knowledge for a while. I listened to him on the radio.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 154
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 88