Pike Ninja's ~ Pike tip up strategy ~

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've got a hankerin to ice some pike with the boy. Been doing some research and have come up with a starting point but was going to tap into the resource that is Nodak Angler.

Tip ups,

Target cruising zones, pinch points and weed edges.

Bait, Herring or smelt on a quick strike rig.

Depth of presentation, 1/2 depth of water column to bottom.

Get rigs fishing before the sun comes up, use a bobber stop to mark depth and making resetting of the tip up quicker.

How am I doing so far ??

Any other tricks you guys want to share ??

As always thanks in advance.

Rizzo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Also you can try and find the biggest lively minnows you can and attach some spinner blades above the leader for some extra color and flash. You've got a pretty solid plan so far. Also try fishing near very sharp drop offs next to deep water. I've had my best luck with big fish in those area's.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I believe the best tactic for dead bait is resting on the bottom. If you want to jig, use a substantial bait. Most forage is nearly hand sized this time of year.

- - - Updated - - -

Stirring dust with this would work:
th

deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I use to fish tip ups hard I'd always keep a second one set for depth and baited with a smelt. I'd drop it in immediately after icing a fish. Caught a pile of doubles when dropping in before tending to the first fish.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Not exactly how I do it but the end result is pretty much the same. One big exception, I would never suggest you pull a sharp (or even a dull one) knife towards the hand/arm holding the fish. Was waiting for the fish to slip out of her hand to see how deep the cut was going to be. Some day it will be nasty.

For those of you who think eating northern pike is not in their diet, I for one think properly cared for pike is one of the best eating fish we have. Much better if the fish cleaner does not bleed all over the fish.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I use to fish tip ups hard I'd always keep a second one set for depth and baited with a smelt. I'd drop it in immediately after icing a fish. Caught a pile of doubles when dropping in before tending to the first fish.[/QUOTE

Umm, damn right. This is with any species especially with casting in open water. This is NOT just reserved for SMB.

- - - Updated - - -

Another perspective:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGJhLfWLRx8

fishman

Founding Member
Founding Member
One little trick we use when using smelt is to use a treble hook with 2 barbs in smelt and stack 2or3 minnows on exposed hook. Seems to give alittle action to bait and smelt sits level in water. Works really well

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't forget a package of hotdogs with a single treble right in the middle. I've caught a lot of pike on this.

Captainbrad

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't be afraid to put bait right on the bottom and don't be afraid to go shallow. We find numbers of pike on Devils Lake by setting in about 1 foot of water below the ice. Even better when it is near weeds.

I see no reason to set for pike before sun up. In my experience they are a crack of 10 fish.

Skip all the crap they sell to mark the line. Thread an old shirt button on to your line (make sure it winds through the hole when you reel up) When you do this your depth marker is always on the line and you just slide it to where you need it. When the line is tight (hopefully with a fish) it stays right where you set it so just drop down and reel back up to it. When you leave at the end of the day just roll it up with the line. It will also make setting the depth 50% faster.

Captainbrad

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I use to fish tip ups hard I'd always keep a second one set for depth and baited with a smelt. I'd drop it in immediately after icing a fish. Caught a pile of doubles when dropping in before tending to the first fish.[/QUOTE

Umm, damn right. This is with any species especially with casting in open water. This is NOT just reserved for SMB.

- - - Updated - - -

Another perspective:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGJhLfWLRx8

This is the best way to clean pike especially if you have to transport them. It keeps the fillets together so they can be counted properly should they need to be inspected.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 161
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88