Polaris XD 1500 crew cab.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
"All vehicles wider than 50 inches are limited to roads open to motorized travel and subject to licensing requirements".

Oh Boy i am so glad i popped 30k out for a toy that i cant get down a logging trail
Idaho best roads are worse than any thing here and they can go one them.

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I think there's a place for all of these toys. There are things a SxS's just planly do better than a pickup. The bigger problem is everyone (me included) want the best stuff, and to get the best, it's gonna cost some coin. Next thing you know, you bought a $50k crew cab with GPS and all the creature comforts and biggest horse power made to putz around the campground at 15 mph with a cocktail, go hunting a couple of times, and put maybe a 1k miles or less a year on. The reality is, many of these machines never see the real purpose they were made for. I know several people that bought 2 door jeep wranglers instead of going the SxS route.

The same goes for boats, trucks, guns, snowmobiles, ice houses, etc. Hell, my 16' Cat M8000 153" that I bought new would take me to places out west that I didn't need to go and probably to places that I shouldn't be, but that didn't stop me from buying something even more capable when Polaris released the new Matryx Slash 165's in 22'.

I will say though, for $50k and reasons unknown to me, I for the life of me do not understand why they don't ditch the shitty power-sports engines and CVT transmissions. At 3k lbs, it isn't about weight anymore. Why not put an automotive style engine and transmission in that will last 50k miles or more. I mean these aren't exactly big power house engines and are only knocking down a whopping 100hp. Instead you have a really expensive machine that the drive-train is shot in by 10k miles. Yes, I know there will be the occasional person that gets 20-30k out of one without major work, but that isn't the norm. I've been around a lot of these machines and it seems they all need motor or clutch work even long before that mileage.

Last edited:

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think there's a place for all of these toys. There are things a SxS's just planly do better than a pickup. The bigger problem is everyone (me included) want the best stuff, and to get the best, it's gonna cost some coin. Next thing you know, you bought a $50k crew cab with GPS and all the creature comforts and biggest horse power made to putz around the campground at 15 mph with a cocktail, go hunting a couple of times, and put maybe a 1k miles or less a year on. The reality is, many of these machines never see the real purpose they were made for. I know several people that bought 2 door jeep wranglers instead of going the SxS route.
Here is my 2cents ---- in august we went up to akeley and hit that area of forest. I had rained fairly decent in the beginning of august especially that area.

Of the side by sides we had a Polaris, honda, saki, cat ---- i will say the polaris and the cat were the only two that didnt have problems as to over heating. The rest needed to be towed back or just ran back hot. Two of them were sold a week later as the owners were pissed off. I will also say those machines took a baby test imo But they did take a fairly good test.

The ranger i was driving (which is not mine) i square it a rock so hard on the bottom --- i could not beleive that basterd didnt fall apart. It took it and it ran like a trooper.

I have looked at the gears of a ranger --- they are thin and flimsy --- they look like they are from a 10speed and to think polaris put holes in them to make them lighter. 1/16 wide why the fk do you need to make them lighter. My bud always backs up the hill at the lake--- i dont ride with him as i now how thin the reverse gear and chain was. Chain is smaller then a 10 speed bike baby chain.

Here is my brother -- the big boy stuff in ho country:

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lots of guys are getting mini trucks now but parts and service would concern me. Although the price is alot cheaper.

Family member ranches and beats the ever living piss out of his atv's. Can Am Defender is the only one still standing over the past 10 years. Couple motors in the polaris, and the small honda couldnt stand up to ranch life.

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
Gotta remember that the $50k unit is the absolute biggest and top of the line they currently make. The standard 1000 Northstar brand new runs around, or maybe just under, $30k. That's a big difference.
I bought a new Northstar in 2021 for less than 1/2 of the 1500 crew cab so I don't think you can lump all SXS users into that group of "How could someone buy something like that"

MarbleEyez

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wouldn't get rid of my Polaris side by side. A pickup can't get through the pastures like a side by side... I've tried:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Bacon

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wouldn't get rid of my Polaris side by side. A pickup can't get through the pastures like a side by side... I've tried:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Well, that was kind of my point. They used to be smaller, lighter and go more places. But now they are the same weight and size as a small pickup. And comparing a full sized pickup to a small side by side, of course it works better.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88