South east Asia day on Friday

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
On Friday me and one other guy will walk down main street, half way down, walk into the local pup, have a beer of two, maybe if someone else is there we both will get a free beer, put some southeast Asia music on from the 60,70, talk a little about Vietnam but mainly about the democrats next steps. Wife will come later and get me home.

For me I was lucky.
Voluntary for the draft and voluntary for south east Asia in 69. I got to serve my country.
Spent 10 months on a hill top shooting at them and they shot at us. One day the chief of smoke comes along with some high ranker lifer to visit our 175 MM gun. They started belittling my corporal and I could not get my corporal to shut up. So I said what I felt needed to be said at the moment. Told this before but loss my m-16, my command of the gun, my R&R and they wanted my strips along with other than honorable discharge. Well I fool them, a few months later I still had my strips with a honorable discharge.

No one knew I was coming home, not even my folks so it was a surprise for them. One of the few times my dad shook my hand. Saturday put my field jacket on with stripes, went to the small town local bar with pride and a grin to show my pride. A good handful, including my cousin, were in the corner booth, made eye contact and then they look elsewhere. A former SE Asia Soldier was passed out at the bar. Walk over to him, order a beer, he looked up and tore my stripe off one shoulder and as I reach to pick up tore the other. Well you son of a bitch but he said no one cares so forget it. Bought myself a few more beers sitting next to him and then went home. Second time I spoke with him, he was in a coffin. Die young.

I adjusted at that moment at the bar, didn't mean nothing, and the next day with a couple of others planned a trip to California to see what I could get my do-wacker into. A good two weeks but came back home by way of Mustang Ranch.

My memories are positive, have a slight physical problem that was getting on me about seven years ago from over there. Went and seen the VA, took care of it and my limit time with them has been great service. Maybe a little slow but good.

So Friday, a thank you is not needed, it was 50 years ago, but maybe a statement that I see it is Vietnam day and I do think about that from time to time and maybe if it is okay I could buy you a beer. That would be all that is needed and I feel that would be good.
Yes, it would be real good, real good. DB

Last edited:

Redmist

Founding Member
Founding Member
I will have a couple with you in spirit. And thank you for your service. The times were much different back then and people did not respect the fact that you served your country proudly. And your country let you and all those who served with you down because of politics. So here's to you my friend bottoms up!!!!!!!

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thank you for your service. In the last few years we (wife and I) have watched some of the documentary's and I truly feel the citizens of the US did not get the truth of the war at that time. I lost two friends over there and one was lost after he got back. War is HELL and that war was worse.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
God bless you db

peace/love/hope are great ideals... things to strive for - but they don't stop men intent on evil

that requires a warrior

I'm a bit astonished how quickly we've forgotten 911 - and invited the fox to live in the hen house

Last edited:

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Way different war, in a way different time. Thanks for your sacrifices. :;:cheers

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Thank You Sir, our small town was very proud of you Vietnam Vets

Wirehair

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thank you for your service bd. It would be an honor to buy a round and hoist the glasses in a tribute to your service!

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
You should tell everyone what town, maybe some guys will show in support of you.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thank you so much for your service. "I got to serve my country" says it all. Those who couldn't look you in the eye or treated you poorly - would they put it on the line for our country? At a minimum you deserve a handshake and the respect you earned!

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Thanks for all the comments and thumbs up. One would expect no less on here. Thumbs up to every one of you.

Got one young lady (daughter from the Twin Cities, but still) who said she would march with the two of us and one lady said she would come and watch. Done did let the legion post 235 know but done did that in the past and this would be a first for them if they come. Looking up. Two days left before I pack it in. db

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
Americans who disrespect any honorable member of our military don’t deserve to be an American.

Thank you for your service and all other members of the military and the sacrifices you/they’ve made.

★★★★★ Legendary Member
On Friday me and one other guy will walk down main street, half way down, walk into the local pup, have a beer of two, maybe if someone else is there we both will get a free beer, put some southeast Asia music on from the 60,70, talk a little about Vietnam but mainly about the democrats next steps. Wife will come later and get me home.

DB

WELCOME HOME my brother and thanks... :;:cheers

:;:smokin

absent companions...

Hamm's

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wish there was a salute emoji, because you deserve one from all of us! Thank you for your service!

dukgnfsn

Founding Member
Founding Member
untitled1.pnguntitled2.pnguntitled.pnglast one is salute with saying Yes Sir, or in this case Thank You Sir.

If I was close to R---- I would join you for one but can't make there in time after work so cheers to you

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 196
  • This month: 160
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93