Sump pump

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wondering if using some used 1.5 inch fire hose as sump pump hose would work good for connecting to my outside sump pumps. I am thinking this is going to be a wet year for some reason, anyways my discharge hose now is either the black corrugated or the flat blue garage pvc pipe that rots and cracks. Solid pvc pipe is over kill since I live out in the courty and can buy used fire hose with no fittings for 40$ for 95 feet so if it does rot after awhile I can always cut off a new chunk of hose and replace. Thoughts?

Also what brand sump pump do you guys recommend examples like wayne ,zoeller or a off brand be good enough

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have used just about every brand of sump pump at one time or another. I run whatever was on sale before I needed it. I haven't seen much of a difference between them. They all seem to crap out at about the same point. I do have really hard water, so I think they crud up real fast once they stop actively pumping water. One thing I can tell you is that having a couple check valves, one right at the pump, and another once the water reaches ground level really makes a difference in how much work the pump has to do. The guys that installed my original sumps didn't put any in and my pumps were pumping the same water over and over again as it would just run back down the pipe into the sump after the pump stopped. STUPID!! As far as hoses, I prefer solid hoses. I don't have to pump the water very far so take that with a grain of salt. If I had to move the water a fair distance I might lean towards a collapsible hose. I also think solid hoses are more resistant to wear, rodents, the elements, and rot. I would also think the fire hose would have a higher propensity to wear through at the contact points where the hose comes out onto flat ground from inflating and deflating when the pump works. There have been times where my pumps are kicking in every minute or so. Maybe solid pipe to ground level and the angle with check valves, then fire hose from there to the deposition point would work best. IDK. Good Luck either way.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84