johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I will take
IMG_6790.jpeg

IMG_6791.jpeg

Bought this last summer.
Used it 1/2 the summer.
Thought I would like the right handed reel but don’t.
Spooled up with 8 # fire line.
$75 cash
i
IMG_6790.jpeg

IMG_6791.jpeg

Bought this last summer.
Used it 1/2 the summer.
Thought I would like the right handed reel but don’t.
Spooled up with 8 # fire line.
$75 cash
I will take it, Live in Dickinson, however am heading to Fargo tomorrow after work, so if you are anywhere along here and there I can sure meet you and take it off your hands, for $74.50...
Message me

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I will take

i

I will take it, Live in Dickinson, however am heading to Fargo tomorrow after work, so if you are anywhere along here and there I can sure meet you and take it off your hands, for $74.50...
Message me
Rats! I’m headed west this weekend. I was going to buy you a steak and all you can drink.

Tragic.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm trying to figure out how anyone can compare a pitch bite (thump, whump, bang, jolt) to the sluggish "ooh, is that a snag?... no, might be a fish?.... oh, nice one I guess" typical of bottom bouncer strikes and fights.

What I enjoy about pitching for eyes:
1. The engagement ("hunting" for where to pitch) - often in < 5 fow.
2. The jolting strike or thump, oftentimes quite shocking
3. Occasionally treated to seeing a follow by a nice walleye or two
4. The very lively fight - where you're directly engaged with the fish on light line/rod. (compared to dragging one in that's hooked up to a 3 oz weight on a medium heavy goober rod)

I don't drink alcohol while I fish - maybe that's the secret to enjoying BBing more?
You have simply not learned how to finesse the bait into the mouth of a walleye.

That seems kind of sad.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Seems like a good time to possibly buy one of these? I was looking at them as it seems to be a good sale price, be curious what people know of them.

https://www.scheels.com/p/abu-garci...html?cgid=fishing-line-counter-combos#start=1
My wife thanks you - I bit and picked one of these up. She DEFINITELY agrees I needed more rods.

Thanks for the heads up. Just looked and it's out of stock now.

There was no hiding this one, it shipped in the longest box I've ever received with Scheel's tape all over it. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm trying to figure out how anyone can compare a pitch bite (thump, whump, bang, jolt) to the sluggish "ooh, is that a snag?... no, might be a fish?.... oh, nice one I guess" typical of bottom bouncer strikes and fights.

What I enjoy about pitching for eyes:
1. The engagement ("hunting" for where to pitch) - often in < 5 fow.
2. The jolting strike or thump, oftentimes quite shocking
3. Occasionally treated to seeing a follow by a nice walleye or two
4. The very lively fight - where you're directly engaged with the fish on light line/rod. (compared to dragging one in that's hooked up to a 3 oz weight on a medium heavy goober rod)

I don't drink alcohol while I fish - maybe that's the secret to enjoying BBing more?
Yes but you cannot do this all year long if you want to wear shoulder out enjoy.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’ve always been a spin cast rod guy. I’m well aware of all the advantages bait cast advocates preach, but I’ve never felt like I’ve been missing out. My favorite spin cast rod setup for bouncing and short lining cranks has been the Scheels Walleye series medium moderate taper 7’6” rod. I have 2 generations of production models and I have to say that the “old school” one is still my favorite to this day. The newer version lacks in 2 areas: first, the action is faster than the original and loads up more than it should, and second, the handle behind the reel is shorter. That said, it’s still a very capable rod.

Spin or bait cast, I believe in a long shaft behind the reel is just as important as the action to handle the strain on the wrist while pulling bouncers or short lining cranks over an extended period of time. Action and rod fatigue are equally important in my book.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lazy is placing rods in a holder, active is feeling the bite and reacting accordingly. Over a long period of time, you will want to hold a rod that doesn’t want to “fight you” throughout the day. Good luck.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’ve always been a spin cast rod guy. I’m well aware of all the advantages bait cast advocates preach, but I’ve never felt like I’ve been missing out. My favorite spin cast rod setup for bouncing and short lining cranks has been the Scheels Walleye series medium moderate taper 7’6” rod. I have 2 generations of production models and I have to say that the “old school” one is still my favorite to this day. The newer version lacks in 2 areas: first, the action is faster than the original and loads up more than it should, and second, the handle behind the reel is shorter. That said, it’s still a very capable rod.

Spin or bait cast, I believe in a long shaft behind the reel is just as important as the action to handle the strain on the wrist while pulling bouncers or short lining cranks over an extended period of time. Action and rod fatigue are equally important in my book.

1. Spin Cast Reel
2. Spinning Reel
3. Baitcast Reel
2 and 3 is what you normally see --- kids and some adults use the spin cast. I have never tried a spin cast since superline days. Maybe its the ticket as line twist isnt as much of a worry

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
1. Spin Cast Reel
2. Spinning Reel
3. Baitcast Reel
2 and 3 is what you normally see --- kids and some adults use the spin cast. I have never tried a spin cast since superline days. Maybe its the ticket as line twist isnt as much of a worry

My mistake. I meant spinning reel. I’ll admit that I didn’t realize a spin cast reel referred to a “zebco” style old school reel. I’ve never used one of those.

On another note though, I’m surprised short came up with a coherent post for a change. Maybe he found the Lord after all. Good doggy

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
My mistake. I meant spinning reel. I’ll admit that I didn’t realize a spin cast reel referred to a “zebco” style old school reel. I’ve never used one of those.

On another note though, I’m surprised short came up with a coherent post for a change. Maybe he found the Lord after all. Good doggy
with the super lines and if a guy put in a bearing/slash post where that stationary post was in the spincast ---- it could comeback as the #1 reel. If i ever retire i will design one :)

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I will take

i

Message me

Thanks Tikka, will finally pay for and pick up my fancy new reel.

Sorry it took half a year...

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88