What's new
Forums
Members
Resources
Whopper Club
Politics
Pics
Videos
Fishing Reports
Classifieds
Log in
Register
What's new
Search
Members
Resources
Whopper Club
Politics
Menu
Log in
Register
Install the app
Install
Forums
General
General Discussion
Good Read by Paul Harvey 1965.
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="snow1" data-source="post: 343309" data-attributes="member: 7725"><p>His essay from 1965 sure hits home today~</p><p></p><p><span style="color: #3D3D3D"><span style="font-family: 'Roboto'">If I were the prince of darkness, I would want to engulf the whole world in darkness.</span></span></p><p><span style="color: #3D3D3D"><span style="font-family: 'Roboto'"></span></span></p><p><span style="color: #3D3D3D"><span style="font-family: 'Roboto'"></span></span><span style="color: #3D3D3D"><span style="font-family: 'Roboto'">I’d have a third of its real estate and four-fifths of its population, but I would not be happy until I had seized the ripest apple on the tree — thee.</span></span></p><p><span style="color: #3D3D3D"><span style="font-family: 'Roboto'">So, I would set about however necessary to take over the United States.</span></span></p><p><span style="color: #3D3D3D"><span style="font-family: 'Roboto'">I’d subvert the churches first, and I would begin with a campaign of whispers.</span></span></p><p><span style="color: #3D3D3D"><span style="font-family: 'Roboto'">With the wisdom of a serpent, I would whisper to you as I whispered to Eve: “Do as you please.”</span></span></p><p><span style="color: #3D3D3D"><span style="font-family: 'Roboto'">To the young, I would whisper that the Bible is a myth. I would convince the children that man created God instead of the other way around. I’d confide that what’s bad is good and what’s good is square.</span></span></p><p><span style="color: #3D3D3D"><span style="font-family: 'Roboto'">And the old, I would teach to pray after me, “Our Father, which are in Washington …”</span></span></p><p><span style="color: #3D3D3D"><span style="font-family: 'Roboto'">Then, I’d get organized, I’d educate authors in how to make lurid literature exciting so that anything else would appear dull and uninteresting.</span></span></p><p><span style="color: #3D3D3D"><span style="font-family: 'Roboto'">I’d peddle narcotics to whom I could. I’d sell alcohol to ladies and gentlemen of distinction. I’d tranquilize the rest with pills.</span></span></p><p><span style="color: #3D3D3D"><span style="font-family: 'Roboto'">If I were the devil, I’d soon have families at war with themselves, churches at war with themselves and nations at war with themselves until each, in its turn, was consumed.</span></span></p><p><span style="color: #3D3D3D"><span style="font-family: 'Roboto'">And with promises of higher ratings, I’d have mesmerizing media fanning the flames.</span></span></p><p><span style="color: #3D3D3D"><span style="font-family: 'Roboto'">If I were the devil, I would encourage schools to refine young intellect but neglect to discipline emotions. I’d tell teachers to let those students run wild. And before you knew it, you’d have drug-sniffing dogs and metal detectors at every schoolhouse door.</span></span></p><p><span style="color: #3D3D3D"><span style="font-family: 'Roboto'">With a decade, I’d have prisons overflowing and judges promoting pornography. Soon, I would evict God from the courthouse and the schoolhouse and them from the houses of Congress.</span></span></p><p><span style="color: #3D3D3D"><span style="font-family: 'Roboto'">In his own churches, I would substitute psychology for religion and deify science. I’d lure priests and pastors into misusing boys and girls and church money.</span></span></p><p><span style="color: #3D3D3D"><span style="font-family: 'Roboto'">If I were the devil, I’d take from those who have and give to those who wanted until I had killed the incentive of the ambitious.</span></span></p><p><span style="color: #3D3D3D"><span style="font-family: 'Roboto'">What’ll you bet I couldn’t get whole states to promote gambling as the way to get rich?</span></span></p><p><span style="color: #3D3D3D"><span style="font-family: 'Roboto'">I’d convince the young that marriage is old-fashioned, that swinging is more fun and that what you see on television is the way to be.</span></span></p><p><span style="color: #3D3D3D"><span style="font-family: 'Roboto'">And thus, I could undress you in public and lure you into bed with diseases for which there are no cures.</span></span></p><p><span style="color: #3D3D3D"><span style="font-family: 'Roboto'">In other words, if I were the devil, I’d just keep right on doing what he’s doing.</span></span></p><p><span style="color: #3D3D3D"><span style="font-family: 'Roboto'">[Source: Harvey, Paul. “If I Were the Devil.” Reading Eagle. July 1, 1996.]</span></span></p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="snow1, post: 343309, member: 7725"] His essay from 1965 sure hits home today~ [COLOR=#3D3D3D][FONT=Roboto]If I were the prince of darkness, I would want to engulf the whole world in darkness. [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#3D3D3D][FONT=Roboto]I’d have a third of its real estate and four-fifths of its population, but I would not be happy until I had seized the ripest apple on the tree — thee.[/FONT][/COLOR] [COLOR=#3D3D3D][FONT=Roboto]So, I would set about however necessary to take over the United States.[/FONT][/COLOR] [COLOR=#3D3D3D][FONT=Roboto]I’d subvert the churches first, and I would begin with a campaign of whispers.[/FONT][/COLOR] [COLOR=#3D3D3D][FONT=Roboto]With the wisdom of a serpent, I would whisper to you as I whispered to Eve: “Do as you please.”[/FONT][/COLOR] [COLOR=#3D3D3D][FONT=Roboto]To the young, I would whisper that the Bible is a myth. I would convince the children that man created God instead of the other way around. I’d confide that what’s bad is good and what’s good is square.[/FONT][/COLOR] [COLOR=#3D3D3D][FONT=Roboto]And the old, I would teach to pray after me, “Our Father, which are in Washington …”[/FONT][/COLOR] [COLOR=#3D3D3D][FONT=Roboto]Then, I’d get organized, I’d educate authors in how to make lurid literature exciting so that anything else would appear dull and uninteresting.[/FONT][/COLOR] [COLOR=#3D3D3D][FONT=Roboto]I’d peddle narcotics to whom I could. I’d sell alcohol to ladies and gentlemen of distinction. I’d tranquilize the rest with pills.[/FONT][/COLOR] [COLOR=#3D3D3D][FONT=Roboto]If I were the devil, I’d soon have families at war with themselves, churches at war with themselves and nations at war with themselves until each, in its turn, was consumed.[/FONT][/COLOR] [COLOR=#3D3D3D][FONT=Roboto]And with promises of higher ratings, I’d have mesmerizing media fanning the flames.[/FONT][/COLOR] [COLOR=#3D3D3D][FONT=Roboto]If I were the devil, I would encourage schools to refine young intellect but neglect to discipline emotions. I’d tell teachers to let those students run wild. And before you knew it, you’d have drug-sniffing dogs and metal detectors at every schoolhouse door.[/FONT][/COLOR] [COLOR=#3D3D3D][FONT=Roboto]With a decade, I’d have prisons overflowing and judges promoting pornography. Soon, I would evict God from the courthouse and the schoolhouse and them from the houses of Congress.[/FONT][/COLOR] [COLOR=#3D3D3D][FONT=Roboto]In his own churches, I would substitute psychology for religion and deify science. I’d lure priests and pastors into misusing boys and girls and church money.[/FONT][/COLOR] [COLOR=#3D3D3D][FONT=Roboto]If I were the devil, I’d take from those who have and give to those who wanted until I had killed the incentive of the ambitious.[/FONT][/COLOR] [COLOR=#3D3D3D][FONT=Roboto]What’ll you bet I couldn’t get whole states to promote gambling as the way to get rich?[/FONT][/COLOR] [COLOR=#3D3D3D][FONT=Roboto]I’d convince the young that marriage is old-fashioned, that swinging is more fun and that what you see on television is the way to be.[/FONT][/COLOR] [COLOR=#3D3D3D][FONT=Roboto]And thus, I could undress you in public and lure you into bed with diseases for which there are no cures.[/FONT][/COLOR] [COLOR=#3D3D3D][FONT=Roboto]In other words, if I were the devil, I’d just keep right on doing what he’s doing.[/FONT][/COLOR] [COLOR=#3D3D3D][FONT=Roboto][Source: Harvey, Paul. “If I Were the Devil.” Reading Eagle. July 1, 1996.][/FONT][/COLOR] [/QUOTE]
Verification
What is the most common fish caught on this site?
Post reply
Recent Posts
Gasoline pump prices
Latest: Davy Crockett
Today at 9:11 PM
Scheels Bismarck
Latest: Obi-Wan
Today at 8:36 PM
DUI Attorney
Latest: Obi-Wan
Today at 8:31 PM
J
Mandan Data center pushback
Latest: jer79
Today at 8:29 PM
ESOX
Latest: SDMF
Today at 8:24 PM
NFL News (Vikings)
Latest: eyexer
Today at 6:31 PM
SOLD
2007 Ford Taurus
Latest: Zogman
Today at 5:03 PM
K-Drill Blade Sharpening Gone
Latest: Slappy
Yesterday at 12:02 PM
RAIN!!!!
Latest: KDM
Yesterday at 9:29 AM
Tailrace
Latest: MSA
Yesterday at 8:22 AM
L
Jap Beatles
Latest: LBrandt
Monday at 1:40 PM
N
Soybeans
Latest: ndlongshot
Monday at 1:35 PM
Guys with a Yeti....
Latest: johnr
Monday at 10:30 AM
Left Hand Remington Stocks
Latest: SupressYourself
Monday at 8:41 AM
What are you listening to these days?
Latest: svnmag
Sunday at 11:14 PM
Banks Stump Feeder
Latest: Shockwave
Saturday at 11:24 PM
FLOCK Cameras...Thoughts
Latest: Jiffy
Saturday at 9:51 PM
L
EHD is back..AGAIN!
Latest: LBrandt
Friday at 6:03 PM
D
Any youth hunter stories?
Latest: dsharp83
Friday at 12:20 PM
Sale
6.5 Creed Barrel - Savage
Latest: SupressYourself
Friday at 8:39 AM
Sale
4 Youth Model rifles
Latest: Lycanthrope
Thursday at 12:11 PM
Friends of NDA
Forums
General
General Discussion
Good Read by Paul Harvey 1965.
Top
Bottom