What's new
Forums
Members
Resources
Whopper Club
Politics
Pics
Videos
Fishing Reports
Classifieds
Log in
Register
What's new
Search
Members
Resources
Whopper Club
Politics
Menu
Log in
Register
Install the app
Install
Forums
Hunting
Guns and Ammo
Hearing safety--Something to think about
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="SLE" data-source="post: 333387" data-attributes="member: 3889"><p>Thats a tell tale sign you have hearing loss. This was my problem also. Couldn’t clearly hear anything in a restaurant/ bar setting. Went in this summer at the ripe age of 41 to find out I have lost about 60-70% of my hearing in my left ear. The right was in pretty good shape thankfully. The audiologist knew immediately that I did a lot of shooting and I was right handed. I left that day with a demo set of hearing aids to try and I ordered a custom molded set molded ear plugs with filters. It sucks hunting with them, especially when I have relied on my hearing so heavily to hear birds getting up or the dogs beeper collar. Deer hunting this year has been done with full set of muffs, which is a must with my muzzle break. I wish someone would’ve harped on me more when I was younger as I’m paying the price now and I hope to have a-lot of years in front of me yet. It’s not just shooting though either, it’s loud music, concerts, power sports & heavy equipment. I used to be the guy with chrome straight pipe stacks on my tractor, and loud exhaust on all of my power sports equipment, not any more. The only thing I own that’s remotely loud now are the sleds but those are responsible compared to what I used to run.</p><p></p><p>I’m lucky as I don’t have ringing in my ears. And as an FYI for those that don’t know, there isn’t a thing they can do for you other than hearing aids and they aren’t a magic wand either. And FWIW, a set of hearing aids are around $5k+- and typically your insurance doesn’t cover them!</p><p></p><p>hope someone can learn for this, good topic.</p><p></p><p><span style="color: silver"><span style="font-size: 9px">- - - Updated - - -</span></span></p><p></p><p>The 3000 watts of amplified speakers in my pickup didn’t exactly help things either, lol. I do still crank it up on occasion but I’m much more mindful than in the past.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="SLE, post: 333387, member: 3889"] Thats a tell tale sign you have hearing loss. This was my problem also. Couldn’t clearly hear anything in a restaurant/ bar setting. Went in this summer at the ripe age of 41 to find out I have lost about 60-70% of my hearing in my left ear. The right was in pretty good shape thankfully. The audiologist knew immediately that I did a lot of shooting and I was right handed. I left that day with a demo set of hearing aids to try and I ordered a custom molded set molded ear plugs with filters. It sucks hunting with them, especially when I have relied on my hearing so heavily to hear birds getting up or the dogs beeper collar. Deer hunting this year has been done with full set of muffs, which is a must with my muzzle break. I wish someone would’ve harped on me more when I was younger as I’m paying the price now and I hope to have a-lot of years in front of me yet. It’s not just shooting though either, it’s loud music, concerts, power sports & heavy equipment. I used to be the guy with chrome straight pipe stacks on my tractor, and loud exhaust on all of my power sports equipment, not any more. The only thing I own that’s remotely loud now are the sleds but those are responsible compared to what I used to run. I’m lucky as I don’t have ringing in my ears. And as an FYI for those that don’t know, there isn’t a thing they can do for you other than hearing aids and they aren’t a magic wand either. And FWIW, a set of hearing aids are around $5k+- and typically your insurance doesn’t cover them! hope someone can learn for this, good topic. [COLOR="silver"][SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE][/COLOR] The 3000 watts of amplified speakers in my pickup didn’t exactly help things either, lol. I do still crank it up on occasion but I’m much more mindful than in the past. [/QUOTE]
Verification
What is the most common fish caught on this site?
Post reply
Recent Posts
What are you listening to these days?
Latest: svnmag
Today at 12:26 AM
Gasoline pump prices
Latest: Davy Crockett
Yesterday at 9:11 PM
Scheels Bismarck
Latest: Obi-Wan
Yesterday at 8:36 PM
DUI Attorney
Latest: Obi-Wan
Yesterday at 8:31 PM
J
Mandan Data center pushback
Latest: jer79
Yesterday at 8:29 PM
ESOX
Latest: SDMF
Yesterday at 8:24 PM
NFL News (Vikings)
Latest: eyexer
Yesterday at 6:31 PM
SOLD
2007 Ford Taurus
Latest: Zogman
Yesterday at 5:03 PM
K-Drill Blade Sharpening Gone
Latest: Slappy
Tuesday at 12:02 PM
RAIN!!!!
Latest: KDM
Tuesday at 9:29 AM
Tailrace
Latest: MSA
Tuesday at 8:22 AM
L
Jap Beatles
Latest: LBrandt
Monday at 1:40 PM
N
Soybeans
Latest: ndlongshot
Monday at 1:35 PM
Guys with a Yeti....
Latest: johnr
Monday at 10:30 AM
Left Hand Remington Stocks
Latest: SupressYourself
Monday at 8:41 AM
Banks Stump Feeder
Latest: Shockwave
Saturday at 11:24 PM
FLOCK Cameras...Thoughts
Latest: Jiffy
Saturday at 9:51 PM
L
EHD is back..AGAIN!
Latest: LBrandt
Friday at 6:03 PM
D
Any youth hunter stories?
Latest: dsharp83
Friday at 12:20 PM
Sale
6.5 Creed Barrel - Savage
Latest: SupressYourself
Friday at 8:39 AM
Sale
4 Youth Model rifles
Latest: Lycanthrope
Sep 24, 2026
Friends of NDA
Forums
Hunting
Guns and Ammo
Hearing safety--Something to think about
Top
Bottom