Lake Sakakawea - Local nickname locations of fishing spots???

defiant1

Honored Member
Ok, since I am new to fishing Lake Sakakawea I am trying to wrap my brain around all the local nicknames people, over time, have ordained certain spots on Lake Sakakawea. When talking with people, they have expressed locations on where they have had fishing success, which would be great information if I had a frame of reference on what location on the lake they were talking about. Everyone (at no fault of their own) assume I know all these areas.

So, to my inquiry, is there a map of some sort that outlines/highlights some of these local nicknames I have encountered? Some examples are:

Deacon Point
Beacon Point (I know there are several)
Pepsi Sign
The Cross
The Flats
Charging Bay
Rocky Bluffs
Spur Bay
Tolly's Point
Beacon Island

These are just a few of the names I have heard. If there is an unofficial map identifying these locations that someone could post, I would appreciate it.

d1

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
nope...you kind of just have to fish...and then fish some more...keep in mind none of these are super secret and pretty self explanitory...unless you don't know who Tolly is

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
We used to fish locations like shithouse point, skunk hollow, 2-tit, the slime line, high bank, and quite a few more. NONE of these were on any maps, but anyone who fished the same area, ie: guides and locals, all knew these spots. You just have to get out and mix with your fellow fisherman, keep your ears open, and pay attention. BTW, this thread made me smile at the trip down memory lane. Thanks!!!

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looks like you have been fishing around Indian Hills.

Don't forget the "Pump House"

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
This topic has come up a number of times over the years and every time I get excited for the possibility of it actually happening.

- - - Updated - - -

We used to fish locations like shithouse point, skunk hollow, 2-tit, the slime line, high bank, and quite a few more. NONE of these were on any maps, but anyone who fished the same area, ie: guides and locals, all knew these spots. You just have to get out and mix with your fellow fisherman, keep your ears open, and pay attention. BTW, this thread made me smile at the trip down memory lane. Thanks!!!

I've spent some time around this area!

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah you kind of just have to fish and pay your dues and you will learn them. I've been fishing that area my whole life and still occasionally learn a spot. Pepsi is at the mouth of good bear bay if that helps...#$%^&>

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah you kind of just have to fish and pay your dues and you will learn them. I've been fishing that area my whole life and still occasionally learn a spot. Pepsi is at the mouth of good bear bay if that helps...#$%^&>

...and there is a big pepsi sign...at least used to be...I think it's still there...

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tolly ate all my jerky and Twizzlers like a fiend. I never fished with her again yet still named a dog in her honor to remind me of the huge tits. Are we talking the same "Tolly"?

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
...and there is a big pepsi sign...at least used to be...I think it's still there...

I think it may have been replaced with a sign that no longer says Pepsi but i'm not 100% sure on that. The problem with a lot of spots is that some of the landmarks are no longer there. There is no longer a "silo" and there sure as hell are no goats on "Goat Island". I believe the Beacon on "Beacon Point" is gone as well.

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think it may have been replaced with a sign that no longer says Pepsi but i'm not 100% sure on that. The problem with a lot of spots is that some of the landmarks are no longer there. There is no longer a "silo" and there sure as hell are no goats on "Goat Island". I believe the Beacon on "Beacon Point" is gone as well.

yeah...pretty sure mexican hat once a sombrero is down to a yamaka...

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wish one could still obtain twice as much for a nickle.

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
buy the map at Dakota Tackle it has most of the stuff you are asking about on it. I think western area sportsmen made it years back they used to sell it at McKenzie bay 10-15 years ago

Last edited:

defiant1

Honored Member
nope...you kind of just have to fish...and then fish some more...keep in mind none of these are super secret and pretty self explanitory...unless you don't know who Tolly is

Don't misunderstand my intent. I am not trying to take any short cuts to land fish. Since I am not from the area, I am attempting to navigate and understand the waters better. For example, if I happened to break down on the water it would be nice to be able to call someone and use a local nickname/landmark to indicate where I was for reference.

- - - Updated - - -

buy the map at Dakota Tackle it has most of the stuff you are asking about on it. I think western area sportsmen made it years back they used to sell it at McKenzie bay 10-15 years ago

I will check it out. Thanks

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't misunderstand my intent. I am not trying to take any short cuts to land fish. Since I am not from the area, I am attempting to navigate and understand the waters better. For example, if I happened to break down on the water it would be nice to be able to call someone and use a local nickname/landmark to indicate where I was for reference.
eUtsudQ.png

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member

Ahh, the good old days. Pepsi sign is still there, but no more goats or beacon.

One of my best memories was spring fishing by goat island. 1/2oz jigs, 50 FOW, catching saugers like they were going out of style.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Cross is long gone. So is the original pump-house and tepee a few miles east of red bute. All washed away in 97 high water.
Byron used to put goats on goat island. Took them off in the winter. Not sure when that stopped
Kelly does a great job of keeping the family business going. I think she's owned and ran it at least 10 years now
I definitely miss the great sauger fishing in that area. There are still a few around but nothing like the late 80s early 90s

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
We never used to run that far mostly fished around beaver but the sauger jigging in in 50-80ft was tremendous growing up

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 7
  • This month: 7
  • This month: 6
  • This month: 5
  • This month: 4