How light is too light for a rifle?

fly2cast

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm looking at getting a new gun, maybe a 30-06 or a 308. Are the Tikka Lites too light of a gun for a 30-06? It would be a gun that my kids would use so I also don't want to go too heavy. I will be reloading so I know that I could reload lighter loads for them.

The Tikkas are around 6.5 pounds. The other option I was thinking of is the Weatherby Vanguards which are 7.5 pounds.

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
A lot depends on the round you shoot. A scope will add probably at least a lb of weight so factor that in. Obviously the lighter the gun the more potential for recoil. Depends on how you hunt...do you walk a lot Ie spot and stalk or sit more?

fly2cast

Founding Member
Founding Member
With the kids about half of the hunting, the most walking we normally do is about 3/4 mile at a time through tree rows, draws, etc, which will take up to 40 minutes. The other half of the time we will walk into a spot an wait for deer to come out of hiding.

Yoby

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a Tikka T3 in .308. For me its not too bad, but for a kid it might be. Pick up a good limb saver and all should be good. The only other thing I know I did originally for my wife to shoot it was remove the should piece and add some weight in the composite void in the stock. Was able to add 2lbs. After a year she was used to it and I was able to take the weight out.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
my tikka 270 wsm could keep an orthopedic surgeon specializing in shoulder replacements real busy.

Sluggin_Guts

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a Tikka T3 Lite in 7mm Mag. Carrying it in the field and shooting 1-3 shots at a time has never been a problem. Shooting at the range I wear a shoulder pad because it starts to hurt my shoulder enough that it affects my accuracy.

wkndwarrior

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have one in 300 WSM with a limb saver on it and its not pleasant to shoot at all. Got it as an elk gun and its nice and light but finding a handload in it sucked. FYI i couldn't get much to group out of it at all when i first got it. did the dollar bill trick between the barrel and stock, and found out that part of the barrel was resting on the stock. Took a small file and filed that area down a little and she shoots fine now.

TFX 186

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Fly,
Look in the Deal Alert thread post #137
Dang good deal if your looking for an 06.

Fish On!

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
I probably say this a lot, but a suppressor will take a lot of recoil out and make it more pleasurable to shoot in a lot of ways.

However, there are some caveats that are particularly applicable to lightweight rifles.
- It adds weight to the rifle, which may be counter to the goals you had for buying the rifle in the first place.
- There may not be enough "meat" on the barrel to thread it without cutting it back more than you want.
- The extra weight on the end may cause the barrel to contact the stock which will effect accuracy. -> This can be fixed with a file or sandpaper.

Like Yoby says, most of these composite stocks are hollow, so you can take the recoil pad off and stuff some weight in there if needed.

Callem'In

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a 270 WSM tikka T3. I had a muzzle break added about 10 years ago. The felt or perceived recoil is about the same as my .223. It did not add much weight.

on a side note, it is extremely loud......

Last edited:

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I regret my tikka 300 wsm, I dread sighting it in. Shooting it deer hunting isn't bad.

I love my tikka 22-250 though. Great gun

Nanky

Founding Member
Founding Member
my tikka 270 wsm could keep an orthopedic surgeon specializing in shoulder replacements real busy.

I had the same gun and caliber . . . needless to say I don't anymore. Damn thing kicked like a mule. Traded it off and got a heavier Winchester 270.

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have one in 300 WSM with a limb saver on it and its not pleasant to shoot at all. Got it as an elk gun and its nice and light but finding a handload in it sucked. FYI i couldn't get much to group out of it at all when i first got it. did the dollar bill trick between the barrel and stock, and found out that part of the barrel was resting on the stock. Took a small file and filed that area down a little and she shoots fine now.

I have the T3 lite in a 300 wsm also, had a limbsaver on it when i bought it. A burris veracity 4-20x50 and along with a bipod added enough weight to the gun to tame the recoil quite a bit. I have had a couple range sessions during load development where i would shoot 25 rounds and the recoil didnt bother me.

Tikka makes some of the best rifles for the money in my opinion

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Light is nice to carry but takes a lot more concentration on the shooter's part to shoot well. Heavy settles down nicely and absorbs some recoil. An 8# rifle/scope combo in a non-magnum "deer" caliber rifle that's well balanced is generally tolerable recoil-wise and settles pretty easily for supported or off-hand shooting. Lose a pound off the total package and the recoil gets noticeable "snappier" and the rifle requires a much more disciplined and consistent form from the shooter. Gain a pound and the recoil becomes mild, supported (prone/bipods) shooting is nearly like cheating, and off-hand shots especially on movers become easier IMO.

jtillman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Get the 308 and load 110TTSX at moderate speeds and it should be very tolerable.

I shoot the .308 with 130gr TTSX's at 3200fps in a fairly light rifle with no issues. It's an absolute killer.

Lycanthrope.....have you hunted with the 110's? Something I've thought about but the 130 load I have is soooo hard to move away from.

USMCDI

Founding Member
Founding Member
I picked up a used Kimber 84m Adirondack in 6.5 creed for my 13 year old, with a can, NF NXS 2.5-10x32mm the gun weighs in at 8 lbs and after a bedding job it hammers out to 600 with ease launching 130 ELD's at 2650fps. That is the lightest, most accurate rifle I've ever had and it doesn't throw you out of the scope but you have to concentrate which is harder for younger shooters, my sons bang steel all summer on my range but it's not necessary for most. We don't walk or push anything and only shoot a specific deer when or if they leave our "refuge" and in all reality I'm rooting for the deer all season and hope they make it another year.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 189
  • This month: 164
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 71
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 57