zero turn recommendations

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't get a stamped deck, get a commercial deck.
Don't go over 60'' or so, as trees grow, things get tighter.
We had Woods diesel with the electric lift up deck. Great for cleaning the deck and changing blades. They make gas ones too.
Never had any problems at all and we mowed around 7-9 acres and quite often twice a week.

fj40

★★★★★ Legendary Member
3rd year on a badboy elite 60 inch with electric deck. I mow 3 acres and not a problem so far.

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Lots of good brands out there. If you thinkings of going to a zero turn the best advised I was told and will pass along, get yourself a low hour commercial machine over a new homeowner machine if money is of concern. The commercial machines are simply built better, cut better, and last way longer without issues. They are made to last thousands of hours, not hundreds.

With that said I’ve owned a couple of Gravely mowers and they do nothing but impress me. Currently cutting 6 acres in an hour and a half on a 72” Gravely powered with a 35 hp Kawi.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If Ariens mowers are anything like there snowblowers I wouldn’t hesitate to go with them. There manufacturing is great and it comes with the Kawasaki motor.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
5k budget will be tuff, when start adding all attachments up it goes up. As mentioned above Badboy, Grasshopper, Gravely, Exmark, Dixon, Toro Titan etc.. in commercial line is way to go if you want it to last 20 years. All my neighbors buy std budget ones and they are in shop all the time and wear out fast. I like green models put then I mow, blow and sweep snow, thatch and bag leaves, till garden and tree rows. I have run the hell out of it and have no problems. First one was 25 years old sold it 455 john deer damn near got my money back have new x758 and really happy again. I want just one machine that can do it all. I have freinds that have four damn machines dang that would drive me nuts and changing out attachments in less than 5 minutes for me put not on 5k budget. If you leave in Bismarck area all vendors have show in spring at Capital try before you buy is nice. Good Luck dont buy stamped stuff.

snowcat

Founding Member
Founding Member
There are like 5 ( or so ) brands that make a front flip up deck, Hustler flip up, Big dog black Jack, Country clipper, Kubota. I bought the 72" diesel Grasshopper, and it is so easy to flip up, that now I wash it out after each use, and can change blade so easy that I keep them always sharp. Well worth it.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lots of good brands out there. If you thinkings of going to a zero turn the best advised I was told and will pass along, get yourself a low hour commercial machine over a new homeowner machine if money is of concern. The commercial machines are simply built better, cut better, and last way longer without issues. They are made to last thousands of hours, not hundreds.

With that said I’ve owned a couple of Gravely mowers and they do nothing but impress me. Currently cutting 6 acres in an hour and a half on a 72” Gravely powered with a 35 hp Kawi.
This right here. There are lots of nice looking non-commercial mowers (Toro, Cub Cadet, etc, etc), but if you can find a low hour commercial ZTR, you are going to love it. I have a 2000(?) JD front deck mower with 1100 hours on it. Since I only put about 25 hours a year on it mowing and about the same blowing snow, that sucker will last me a lifetime. Probably the biggest concern is rusting of the deck.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
This right here. There are lots of nice looking non-commercial mowers (Toro, Cub Cadet, etc, etc), but if you can find a low hour commercial ZTR, you are going to love it. I have a 2000(?) JD front deck mower with 1100 hours on it. Since I only put about 25 hours a year on it mowing and about the same blowing snow, that sucker will last me a lifetime. Probably the biggest concern is rusting of the deck.
So back a while ago (10 plus years) I looked at used commercial (low hours)and found the price they were asking private and dealer was so close to new price in my opinion it wasn't worth the purchase of used... I purchased new because of this. I am not sure if that's the same now but something to consider.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
1680883022498.png

I got a bargain on one of these about 10 yrs ago

The "mulcher" kit was garbage - ended up tearing it out after a couple miserable years cleaning the deck every single mow.

I would never buy one unless I rode it over some serious bumps/dips. Unless you're young and jamming your back 200 times every time you mow is no big deal.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Zero turns aren’t very drinking and mowing compatible. I dislike mowing so drinking while mowing is a must.
Two birds with one stone. enjoyable and one hand free. My back can't take the small rough riding mowers .

I just measured on google earth, I mow 8.75 acres plus a few miles of trails with one of these little guys. It's as relaxing as driving a boat to me , smooth ride and it just idles along nice and quiet. Anyone that's ever raked hay with one tells me it takes a long day to burn 5 gallons of gas . With a mower they burn about a gallon an hour but in that hour it will cover a lot of ground.
1680881931381.png

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
Two birds with one stone. enjoyable and one hand free. My back can't take the small rough riding mowers .

I just measured on google earth, I mow 8.75 acres plus a few miles of trails with one of these little guys. It's as relaxing as driving a boat to me , smooth ride and it just idles along nice and quiet. Anyone that's ever raked hay with one tells me it takes a long day to burn 5 gallons of gas . With a mower they burn about a gallon an hour but in that hour it will cover a lot of ground.
1680881931381.png
i have an allis Chalmers b with a 5 foot woods belly mower bought it for 1800.00 in 98 that thing mows forever on 5 gallons of gas.

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My back can't take the small rough riding mowers .

My Gravely ProTurn has a very nice fully adjustable air ride seat with arm rests, pretty damn comfortable! You should try one, it’d run circles around that ol belly mower and you’ll be less fatigued when you done 2 hours later with that 9 acres!

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
My Gravely ProTurn has a very nice fully adjustable air ride seat with arm rests, pretty damn comfortable! You should try one, it’d run circles around that ol belly mower and you’ll be less fatigued when you done 2 hours later with that 9 acres!
Yea your probably right about that but I aint taking any chances. I wore out a few lawn mowers and what I found is you have to keep buying new ones every few years The old school tractors and woods mowers were a simple design built to last, the spring seats are like floating on air. My main mowing tractor is a B narrow front that will turn on a dime. It's 83 years old and theres no signs that it's getting tired yet. Plus I can hook up to the cultivator in the fall and mow and mulch the garden including corn and sunflower stalks and then cultivate them in good.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
I own a four year old “52 toro time cutter and a “60 Gravely Pro-turn Z. I have a about 7 yards and a few commercial lots I I do a week and an 8 acre lot once a month. For what you’re gonna use it for and your price range Id go with the Toro. I haven’t had a single issue with this machine in the four years of what I consider pretty hard use. Cuts like a dream. The Toro cuts better then the Gravely that was over twice the price IMO. The Gravely is built like a tank and is great what I use it for with pretty much mowing field grass. For lawns the Toro definitely gives a better cut.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I spent my first 18 years of my life on the B Farmall in one form or another. From riding in an apple box on the left axel to driving it mowing and raking hay. Dad bought it new and when he had his auction it sold for twice what he paid for it. I bet its still out there mowing somewhere. Ours had just a single wheel front end and with a little brake help it would turn on a dime. I wonder how many hours I spent on that little tractor. LB

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I spent my first 18 years of my life on the B Farmall in one form or another. From riding in an apple box on the left axel to driving it mowing and raking hay. Dad bought it new and when he had his auction it sold for twice what he paid for it. I bet its still out there mowing somewhere. Ours had just a single wheel front end and with a little brake help it would turn on a dime. I wonder how many hours I spent on that little tractor. LB

I wanted one so bad when I was a kid but we had a f-12 with a mounted buzz saw for a yard tractor. We went to an auction where there was one for sale and I begged my dad to buy it and then later I cranked it and it was out of time so it kicked back and and broke my arm , then about the same time a neighbor boy got killed on one when he and his buddy went in the ditch and rolledit and after that my ol man would have no part of it. The goodness for second childhoods, I have 5 of them now.

buckhunter24_7

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’ve had a cheap Deere for almost ten years and zero problems. It’s one of the residential ones. Nice thing about a Deere is I should be able to get any part for it when it is 30-40 years old at any dealership

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I’ve had a cheap Deere for almost ten years and zero problems. It’s one of the residential ones. Nice thing about a Deere is I should be able to get any part for it when it is 30-40 years old at any dealership

You do realize the box store home-owner grade John Deere mowers are not made by John Deere? If memory serves me correct, they out source to MTD like many others. With that said, I also have a 20 year old cheapy craftsman and parts are a non-issue.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 260
  • This month: 222
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 106
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 77
  • This month: 76