zero turn recommendations

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sooo Chevy uses a diesel made by Isuzu…that makes it Isuzu? There are a lot of companies that use other parts manufactured by another company. I am not saying a JD purchased at Lowe’s is not a cheaper version JD, but it definitely is not an MTD made product.
The D170 uses the same transmission and engine as MTDs. I am guessing the PTO clutch, tires, and ignition switch are also available on a large number of other colored machines. Is it the deer emblem on the steering wheel where we draw the line?

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The D170 uses the same transmission and engine as MTDs. I am guessing the PTO clutch, tires, and ignition switch are also available on a large number of other colored machines. Is it the deer emblem on the steering wheel where we draw the line?
Again it's all manufacturers your argument that they are not JD is mute..the frame the deck front axels are JD produced which is the same with most other manufactures..sure the motors and transmision are mass produced..the 20k deere at the dealer uses a brigs or kawasaki etc...We can go in circles but with your view more than likely your vehicles sitting in your garage are the same as the brand you would probably never buy..lol. again where are the examples?

Last edited:

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Lowes JD are at a minimum MTD-like machines. I had a D170 for about 10 years. When I wrecked the transmission in it, I found out it was using the same engine and transmissions as MTD. It was an ok mower overall, I just abused the heck out of it.
Allen was right too so you were both right. They are MTD-like machines , The same set of dies punch out parts for many brands.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Allen was right too so you were both right. They are MTD-like machines , The same set of dies punch out parts for many brands
Not correct..MTD and John deere decks are not the same. Engines such as a Briggs yes or transmision sure..but the frames and decks are manufactured from John deere directly..atleast from what I could find. MTD makes other brands this is correct. ARe they the same quality as an MTD sure you could argue that but they are not the same die press for the decks nor do they manufacture the frames. Bearings from the same manufacturer? Sure, good chance, hour timer? Sure good chance, PTO clutch Sure good chance but again ALL manufacturers do that regardless of how you want to say they manufacturer there own parts. No different then vehicles..to say they are MTD like..are you saying the quality is the same? Allen stated his d170 was basically an MTD which that it is not. That's like saying his chevy(if he owns one) is a ford..hey they use ford tranny right..bosch efi??...they do the same thing mower manufacturers do but they are not the same. Tuff torque is the tranny used in John deere...look who all uses that tranny.

Last edited:

woodduck30

★★★★★ Legendary Member
From what I could tell, you have to jump up to the 700 series JD to get PTO. The cheap $15K and under do not have a PTO anymore. Everything is belt driven:unsure:

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
From what I could tell, you have to jump up to the 700 series JD to get PTO. The cheap $15K and under do not have a PTO anymore. Everything is belt driven:unsure:
I think what they are referring to is an electric clutch??

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll just stick with what I know something about , My Farmall BN Sold new for $ 770 in the 40s and worked long and hard in the field for many years then I paid $1250 for it with a woods mower. I've used it hundreds of hours and its worth more than I paid for it.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
The only thing Iv'e had to replace is the mower belt and condenser everything has a grease zerk so keep it greased and oils topped off and no troubles. I think almost every golf course had farmall with a belly mower back in the day.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
My last breakdown on a commercial mower was an electric PTO clutch that shorted out and started an electrical fire. The clutch alone was $ 1200 so I took the deck off and turned it into a 23 HP diesel mini fork lift/hydraulic pack.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My last breakdown on a commercial mower was an electric PTO clutch that shorted out and started an electrical fire. The clutch alone was $ 1200 so I took the deck off and turned it into a 23 HP diesel mini fork lift/hydraulic pack.
That's awesome! Atleast you found use for it. Seems like that's how some of these box store mowers are...I think the tranny on many of them are not worth replacing if they go out..around 1k.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
john deere came out with their stx series (first cheap mower) in the mid 90s then the sabre made by john deere basically a mtd quality mower. then they started showing up at box stores sabre turned into the box store john deere. made by john Deere i believe but quality is way lower. if i remember right the 465 all wheel steer lawn mower was 10 k in the mid 90s. i had a wal mart john deere in my shop with a transaxle leak changed the seal but there was no way to add oil? defiantly a disposable unit.

NodakBob

Honored Member
I have a four wheel steer JDx534 with power steering and hydraulic lift, but no pto. Tried multiple zero turn but I have side slope that doesn’t work well with them…I can drive with one finger and hold a drink no prob. Also have a belt powered vac unit for the bagger…only way to go. Had a cheaper unit before and wore out the power vac in 40 hrs…and the four wheel steer doesn’t scalp around the trees like zero turn (I have sandy fragile turf)

woodduck30

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have a four wheel steer JDx534 with power steering and hydraulic lift, but no pto. Tried multiple zero turn but I have side slope that doesn’t work well with them…I can drive with one finger and hold a drink no prob. Also have a belt powered vac unit for the bagger…only way to go. Had a cheaper unit before and wore out the power vac in 40 hrs…and the four wheel steer doesn’t scalp around the trees like zero turn (I have sandy fragile turf)
Do you have a snowblower for it? If so, how does the belt drive work for you?

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Geez guys! 5 pages on what Zero turns are better?? Sounds like a tails docked or not docked conversation! hahaha But but but, i will add my 02. At a rummage sale a few yrs back, I bought a Dixon ztr 428. think i paid like $300..to use at our lake lot in northern Mn. I got more than my money back on that thing....worked like a charm each and every time. You are welcome... by the way FJB and his total electric push!

mikef

★★★ Legendary Member
Geez guys! 5 pages on what Zero turns are better?? Sounds like a tails docked or not docked conversation! hahaha But but but, i will add my 02. At a rummage sale a few yrs back, I bought a Dixon ztr 428. think i paid like $300..to use at our lake lot in northern Mn. I got more than my money back on that thing....worked like a charm each and every time. You are welcome... by the way FJB and his total electric push!
Mowing is serious business!😂

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88