No Mow May

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMG_7649.jpeg

Average_NDA_Member

Hmmm sounds like a bunch a hippie BS but then again some educated lib ndsu professor agrees therefore I don’t know who to trust I’ll tell you this I ain’t listenin to no scientist whos never been in my yard I’m there every day so you tell me who knows whats better for my grass

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Another vote for buffalo grass and blue grama. I like waving at my lawn-obsessed neighbor while he's mowing/edging/fertilizing/watering while I'm going fishing

CAH

Founding Member
Founding Member
The monocrop invasive weed BS we call Kentucky blue is whats wrong with this society. Plant a garden, orchard, or native grasses. Pretty lawns are such a waste of water, time and chemicals. Grow shit you can eat or helps wildlife.

bravo

Founding Member
Founding Member
How was the process getting buffalo grass established? Does it ever need overseeding to keep it "lush"?

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Wife gets pissed when I till up a little more lawn for garden. Now I just add a tiller width here and there and she don't notice as much. Right now its about half and half' Start outdoor planting tomorrow with some spuds in containers just for the hell of it. Buddy scraped off some of the grass cover off the cattle yard so I can get at some of that 30 year old cow crap thats black as the ace of spades, don't take much of that. LB

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
How was the process getting buffalo grass established? Does it ever need overseeding to keep it "lush"?

I don't know as it was already in place when I bought the joint. It's not what you might want for city places, but for country living where one doesn't really have the "need" to be a grass farmer, it's pretty nice. Like I mentioned though, between some Kentucky Bluegrass, tall fescues, and brome grass that has invaded the place, I'd mow even less often. One thing though is that buffalo grass seed is expensive, and I mean REALLY expensive compared to other grass seed. I just took a quick look and the first site I found with it had it listed at $56 a pound.

Mine is getting to the point that it should be reseeded, but at about 4 acres for where I would want it, ouch.

A little reading on the topic for ya.

https://www.naturesseed.com/grass-seed/buffalograss/planting-a-buffalograss-lawn/

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 156
  • This month: 146
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 55