Lawnmower starting issue

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I am having issues with starting of my Toro, self-propelled, walk behind mower. It is probably around 10 years old. I change the oil, air filter and spark plug after every mowing season. For years it always took (2) pulls to start it when cold. When warm it took (1) pull.

This year it has started to have some issues. I noted after mowing for awhile and shutting it off a slight puff of smoke would come from the exhaust. Perhaps it did that last year too. Lately it has started to have some issues starting when cold. It will take at least (6) pulls to start. It still starts on the first pull when warm.

The only thing I started doing differently this year was going to a higher octane gas with that sea foam additive per recommendations of others.

What am I missing or should I do differently to help it start easier? There is no primer/choke on it.

Maybe the place I buy the higher octane gas has old gas in its tanks? I buy all my gas from the same station. But have yet to pull up and see the previous person buying the high octane gas. Thinking maybe this is it. ??

D-Racer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am having issues with starting of my Toro, self-propelled, walk behind mower. It is probably around 10 years old. I change the oil, air filter and spark plug after every mowing season. For years it always took (2) pulls to start it when cold. When warm it took (1) pull.

This year it has started to have some issues. I noted after mowing for awhile and shutting it off a slight puff of smoke would come from the exhaust. Perhaps it did that last year too. Lately it has started to have some issues starting when cold. It will take at least (6) pulls to start. It still starts on the first pull when warm.

The only thing I started doing differently this year was going to a higher octane gas with that sea foam additive per recommendations of others.

What am I missing or should I do differently to help it start easier? There is no primer/choke on it.

Maybe the place I buy the higher octane gas has old gas in its tanks? I buy all my gas from the same station. But have yet to pull up and see the previous person buying the high octane gas. Thinking maybe this is it. ??
Maybe it's just tired and wants to hibernate.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Check all your wires to see if it may be grounding out. Had an issue similar to yours a few years ago. Thought the engine took a shit but ended up being a wire that was wore through and grounded the engine out so it wouldn't start..after 8 pulls I must have jiggled it enough where it would start. Went through a summer dealing with it until I finally figured it out..frustrating foresure. The mower was also a Toro

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I got a Honda walk behind that is totally worthless with that Automatic choke, going to the junkyard

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
Only thing that comes to mind is the spark plug wire not snug enough on the spark plug head? I’ve had such good luck with my self propelled mower (Honda Engine). Had it for 16yrs and recently sold it.

pointer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Might be a stupid idea but have you checked the deck underneath might be clogged from mowing when the grass is too wet, not a problem most years but this year was different

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
They are all different setups for fuel systems but sounds to me like your fuel system could have a slight leak so your gas is leaking back into the tank, I'd check gas line connections or the check valve in the drop tube in the gas tank.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Go through the carb. If after cleaning that really good doesn’t cure it it’s probably getting worn to the point of low compression

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sounds like carb. Use regular gas. Take carb off and soak in a bucket of seafoam for two days. Bet starts right up. Getting gummed up from age, sitting etc.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
i am trying to picture why the carb would/could be the issue on a hard cold start when it starts fine whilst warm. especially, when its a relatively new development. can someone explain the mechanics behind that? thanks in advance.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
In my theory, a small leak or speck of crud in the check valve causes the gas to flow back towards the tank so it takes a few extra pulls to get gas back up to the carb. when warm, the fuel didn't have enough time to siphon back.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
i am trying to picture why the carb would/could be the issue on a hard cold start when it starts fine whilst warm. especially, when its a relatively new development. can someone explain the mechanics behind that? thanks in advance.
Low speed circuit that’s partially plugged doesn’t let enough gas through so takes more pulls to finally suck in enough fuel to start it. Then the larger jet circuits take over. Warm engines start easier when it’s carb issues generally. But engines with worn out piston rings behave exactly like this also.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
first of all... this ^^^ makes sense. second of all... i am a fucking idiot as i was thinking "warm" v "cold" outside... not a "warm" v "cold" engine.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
In my theory, a small leak or speck of crud in the check valve causes the gas to flow back towards the tank so it takes a few extra pulls to get gas back up to the carb. when warm, the fuel didn't have enough time to siphon back.
I’ve never seen a check valve on these small engines. The float needle shuts the fuel flow off both directions when float bowl is full. If it’s stuck open the bowl over fills and runs out the overflow and you will see it

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84