best pfd for the buck

dodgeguy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well with the Arrival of the new boat at the end of the Month I'm thinking it's time for some new vests. The ones I have I've had for ages. What's the best bang without breaking the bank?

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Cabelas has sale on pfds right now. Get a self inflating one. A lot more comfortable to wear. I wear mine the whole time I'm in the boat.

★★★★★ Legendary Member
A PFD is not a place to save money especially for kids, get the best you can afford.

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
with this style pfd if it auto inflates it does not have to be worn to count as a life jacket, the ones that are pull cord only have to be worn at all times. there is 2 styles of auto pfd, 1 inflates when it gets wet (this is the cheaper one, i have heard of guys saying they have gone off in storage because of high humidity and their lockers getting wet) the 2nd one which is significantly more expensive (220-250) inflates based on atmospheric pressure is around 13lbs and every 33 feet below the water you add another 13psi... not sure how far below you have to go but i'm guessing it is only a .5 to 1.5lb pressure increase to get it to go off (this is the style i chose because I didn't want to deal with accidental inflation) i got the mustang HIT one

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
:;:stirthepotSuper glue a milk jug under each arm pit if you want cheep.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
If your just looking for a couple guys fishing I would go the inflating route. If you have kids I involved or any water sports I would go the neoprene route much more comfortable once you get wet. I've bought a few of the full throttle ones from Scheels that have worked nicely. They have a cut out in the back I can grab and lift the kids back in the boat.

- - - Updated - - -

Of and don't forget your throwable.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 46
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 29
  • This month: 18
  • This month: 18