Work Boots

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Ah tis the season....in the market for a new pair of boots. Have worn ariats the last 4-5 years, maybe its time to try something new. I've never owned a pair of Red Wings. If I die tomorrow, will my life be incomplete without owning a pair of Red Wings?

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a pair of Irish setter Crosby boots that I love. They are about to fall apart and I have another pair on the way. Also have a pair of Merrell Moab that I wear on occasion but not a big fan of them

Weekender

★★★ Legendary Member
I'm a big fan of Irish Setters, never had a problem with them. Have had both heavy duty steel-toe and light weight composite. My new pair has a zipper on the side and it has held up quite impressively.

v193

Founding Member
Founding Member
depends on the work you do, if you took you 5 years to wear out 1 pair, then might as well stay with them or get work that demands work boots. If you wear them out yearly then Red Wings will definitely not hold up either. Ever try whites or kennetreks?

Last edited:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Got a pair off keens and they are junk used Carolinas alot and got a couple seasons out of them

Founding Member
Founding Member
What kind of work do you do?

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
What you do? Do you need safety toe? Electrical hazard? There is a reason everyone in the oil field wears the Red Wing Max Bonds. They are the only boots that hold up for more than a couple months, mitigate (claim to) electrical hazards, remain waterproof in the saltwater and drilling mud, and grip on the diamond plate.

I ride a desk now with maybe 75 field days. I usually need safety toe so I still rock my Max Bonds and everyone asks about them. If I don't need steel toe, I just wear my hunting boots. The more time I have in them, the better.

cooter00

Founding Member
Founding Member
After 18 years in the patch there isn't to many I haven't tried ariats and Irish setters are really good boots will last a year or so everyday use but red wing by far is the best in my opinion I can get close to 2 years out of a pair usually it's the inside sole that gives out first on most boots

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Oilfield work. Fix above ground pumps, so constantly getting doused with all kinds of fluids.
I usually get 1.5-2 years out of a pair of Ariats. They have held up good for the work I do, still waterproof after 10 months on the current pair. We get a boot allowance every year though, so as long as they make it a year, its all good.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Funny-Boots-Meme-Found-An-Extra-Pair-Of-Boots-At-The-Worksite-Decided-To-Give-My-Supervisor-A-Heart-Attack-Picture.jpeg

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
i wore ariots for years, then went to work for a different company that gives us a pretty nice allowance at red wing... got a pair of irish setters along with the inserts - seem to b holding up pretty well, but haven't had them on all winter for obvious reasons...

the ariots wore out the soles on the outside, but maybe some orthotics in them would have made them last longer...

Radar13

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used to wear Red Wings all the time, Doing asphalt work and got several years out of a pair of boots, The last pair I got messed up my right foot over time, When I went in for a new pair told the owner or manager at Red wing the issues I was having with with my feet and he set me up with a different boot, After a couple weeks the new boots were raising hell with my feet, I took them back to see if there was something we could do with them boots, and was basically told I was SOL, Kinda pissed me off a little over $200 for a pair of boots, But my temper got the best of me, I dropped them in his garbage can and told him they won't do me any good and walked out, I'll never spend another dime at Red Wing in Bismarck

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
When fishing in a boat i like Crocs. Easy to wade in water if needed. For golf I like the spikeless shoes best. Usually wear sandals during the summer. In winter I go to tennis shoes mostly when headed downtown for the happy hour staff meetings. For hunting I do like Kennetreks and do wear pac-boots for most of the ice fishing. I did usually wear a good quality dress shoe when I had an actual job. Don't use them much anymore since I retired.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’ve tried nearly all of them and Carolinas have easily been the best

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Irish Setter, Vasque, Carhartt and Worx are all owned by Redwing. Redwing made in USA....the others in China. Danner USA vs Danner same thing, Danner USA made in Portland, everything else in Vietnam. Ariat...China or "other countries". Carolina..USA.

Stay with Carolina or Danner USA...they are the real deal American work boots. Might cost you $400-$500 but your feet with thank you later.

Rules to live by:

1. Buy nice or buy twice.
2. Buy the best you can afford

MuleyMadness

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have had good luck with Wolverine. I have the carbon max from Runnings and am on my 2nd pair in 7 years because they are so comfortable. I think I only paid about $130. Says they are made in Rockford, Michigan

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 19
  • This month: 13
  • This month: 13
  • This month: 8
  • This month: 8
  • This month: 7
  • This month: 7
  • This month: 5
  • This month: 5