2015 Deer Rifle Season reports, pics, bloopers, etc.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well went back down today more on a scouting mission then hunting. Goal was to try to find some sort of pattern in the group I have been watching over the last week. Well like every other time they were all in different spots going different directions. Most times there are around 30+ deer in this spot but today I only saw a group of 7 does with one small buck all mules and a lone doe further up the vally. Just as I was about to leave the over look I see a doe and two fawns pop out a mile south up in the bottom of the main draw. Watched them for a couple minutes but nothing much was happening and we winding down once again with a fourth deer appeared. Put the scope on them and sure as shit it's that same buck I posted earlier on this thread. Well they feed along and disappeared into what I knew was an L shaped side draw. Screenshot_2015-11-10-15-33-18.jpg
Well I knew when I passed on him last time that if he put himself in a bad spot my self-restraint would probably go out the window.....and it reluctantly did! I knew if I drove down the road I could get to a spot where I could backtrack 3/4 of a mile downwind of where I last saw them and guessed they now might be. Problem one was I didn't have any boots with just some slip on loafers (remember wasn't planning on hunting) and no two was I for got to put my sling on my riffle. Well oh well can't have everything I guess, so I took off to where I was guessing they would be. There were cows all over so I was trying not to stampede the whole lot end of the draw they were in and possibly spooking them. Well as I got near I was watching the bottom of the draw I was working look hard for any sign of them. As I went around the tip of a small little cut my eye caught movement at my elevation on the tip of the opposing side of my draw. Got as low as I could and moved along the little cut I was going around and got close to the edge. Seeing where they were I knew it was going to be the right deer due to it being a perfect buck bedding spot. Looking out across I spotted him straight off at a touch over 300 and he had me marked aswell.
IMG_20151110_080819841_HDR.jpg
Well pulled up on him three times and three times I had to put the gun down to catch my breath from the little sprint I was just on and to settle the nerves a bit. Finally got settled in put the cross hairs on hit shoulder and touched the round off. Instantly I hear to kaWUMP come back to me and see him doing a stiff leged bounce down the hill. Tried to hit him as he was going but must have missed. After a second he stopped and I sent No three down range and watched as both front legs gave out as he disappeared behind a clay knob. Sat there for a minute to settle down and headed off to where he was. As I approached I suddenly realize that oh shit there a deer bedded right in front of me. For a moment I thought it was him but quickly saw that it was a big doe. Damndest thing was I was in the side open making lots of noise in the gravel and she wasn't even looking at me. As I continued on 20 yard later she finally noticed me but still didn't really seem to care. It wasn't till I got with in 25 yards that she stood up and even then she just walked off like it was nothing.IMG_20151110_081416919_HDR.jpg
Went over the hill and instantly spotted his rack poking up out of the grass. First time where I had watched a deer well enough that his rack neither shrunk nor drew but was instead exactly what I thought he was. Was shocked he was still alive with two pass through shots through his lungs. I put a third round into his heart and he quickly expired but not before coming back to life for a second and scaring the crap out of me while I was taking a couple pictures with the phone. Don't like that he is still alive in this pic but it turned out to be the best shot of his rack.IMG_20151110_081736072.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Part two titled now what the hell do I do!

So like I said I was not prepared to hunt and as such had come down in a 96 Honda accord that needless to say couldn't get anywhere near where I was at. This buck had without a doubt the biggest body on a deer I've ever seen. After ten minutes of using the deer like a couch and debating if I should drive back to Bismarck and get my truck and four wheeler I said screw it and started quartering the big boy out which all in all didn't take to long and since one of the fronts had two exit holes I only had three quarters and the straps and head to move. What did take a while was trying to get all of the deer and my gear and my fat ass 150 foot hillside.IMG_20151110_091456968.jpg
After taking the first load all the way to the top I heard someone on a fourwheeler coming down the top of the draw. When he appeared nearly where I shot from he looked down and saw me. I gave him a wave that was sort of a hi and hay any chance you could help. He started working his way along to end of the draw so I hauled the second load up pretty fast. As it turns out to fast since by the time I got to the top he wasn't there and my legs had turned to jello! Caught my breath for a few minutes then went down and carry up the last load. Again sat there for awhile till my legs settled down then took off for the car with my sling less gun (major pain in the ass at this point) and one of the hind legs. All in all the flat ground was much faster and I covered the 3/4 of a mile in a few minutes. I grabbed a pack I have for elk hunting and a bird career used for ducks and went back out for the rest.IMG_20151110_112104823_HDR.jpg
The final walk out wasn't bad but by the time I got back to the car three hours after I originally left it I was exhausted. Putting the quarters into the trunk along with the straps was easy but I was left with the job of finding a place for the head since his rack did not fit in the trunk. So there was only one place to put it and needless to say I had to take a pic of it. Sent it to my friends with the title of "yea that's right this is how we roll on the res"!

IMG_20151110_120231165_HDR.jpg

As I sit here I'm still be tired but happy with the day but still have this nagging part of me that is disappointed the season is over so soon. But I figured I looked a gift horse in the mouth once and to do it a second time might not have been wise. Fun day though.

7mmshooter

Founding Member
Founding Member
YOU not same deer if that far away but you sounded like some of them in the hunting party. I wasn't pissed because a city guy shot a deer. Kurt was spot on. Just for the record I got a lot of buddies that live in cities and out of state that are always welcome in my spots but I never take them to someone else's spots. And the deer in question went 167 inches and I never hunted him this yr the wife and kids bow hunted him hard but no luck but the rut got him our 330 acres couldn't keep him. My rant on Facebook I said I was done helping people hunt but that didn't last long. Sunday helped a neighbor youth hunter get her first buck. A buck of a lifetime to a lot of hunters 140 class with 6 inch drop.

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
great post Dean.
love that front seat picture:;:thumbsup

i once ended up shooting a bear while driving a small Saturn car. was interesting craming him into the back seat:;:cheers

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
YOU not same deer if that far away but you sounded like some of them in the hunting party. I wasn't pissed because a city guy shot a deer. Kurt was spot on. Just for the record I got a lot of buddies that live in cities and out of state that are always welcome in my spots but I never take them to someone else's spots. And the deer in question went 167 inches and I never hunted him this yr the wife and kids bow hunted him hard but no luck but the rut got him our 330 acres couldn't keep him. My rant on Facebook I said I was done helping people hunt but that didn't last long. Sunday helped a neighbor youth hunter get her first buck. A buck of a lifetime to a lot of hunters 140 class with 6 inch drop.
So let me see if I understand this right. You have 330 acres of land that a buck happened to live on from time to time. Someone else was legally hunting on someone elses land that this buck happened to be on and shot it. So your pissed off because someone else happened to get a little lucky and the buck made a big mistake???

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
So let me see if I understand this right. You have 330 acres of land that a buck happened to live on from time to time. Someone else was legally hunting on someone elses land that this buck happened to be on and shot it. So your pissed off because someone else happened to get a little lucky and the buck made a big mistake???

I dont think thats it. Its hard to describe in written form. Its a friend thing i have some who show me their trail cam pics and i know where the deer are but i dont take other buddies and sit on the edge of the land to try and shoot it. If it is some random guy who is hunting and the deer is shot good for them. but its kinda like baseball and those un written rules not really some thing you have to follow but you do. Its not so much about the deer at all more about how friends treat friends thing in my mind.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I dont think thats it. Its hard to describe in written form. Its a friend thing i have some who show me their trail cam pics and i know where the deer are but i dont take other buddies and sit on the edge of the land to try and shoot it. If it is some random guy who is hunting and the deer is shot good for them. but its kinda like baseball and those un written rules not really some thing you have to follow but you do. Its not so much about the deer at all more about how friends treat friends thing in my mind.

Yeah - IF the deer was pirated due to sharing of "just between us" information that was then leaked on purpose - and a particular deer was shot due to the leak and purposeful action taken taken due to the leak - I'd be pretty darn unhappy.

Integrity. Without it, how can you look at yourself in the mirror in the morning and not feel like a schmuck?

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member

I still don't see how you could burn a friendship over it but maybe it wasn't much of a friendship to begin with? I don't know, as long as the guy didn't do anything illegal I wouldn't be pissed off. He has every right to that buck as anyone. As they say loose lips sink ships.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
I still don't see how you could burn a friendship over it but maybe it wasn't much of a friendship to begin with? I don't know, as long as the guy didn't do anything illegal I wouldn't be pissed off. He has every right to that buck as anyone. As they say loose lips sink ships.

I haven't read everything here but it sounds to me like it was his friend who burned the friendship. Hell one of my buddy's sends me all sorts of pics of big deer on the ranch he hunts. I for one would never hunt that area even though there is enough plots in the area I could. To move in like that is not fair play in my book. A person who does it once will do it again and thus we would no longer be hunting partners. Might watch the game or have a drink but no hunting.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
True hunting partners a just about as hard to find as primo honey hole land to hunt. Moving in on someone else's hunting spot is something I just won't do. Even if I get the big buck, it will always be tainted with the stink that I bogarted someone else's work and effort. Kind of like that children's story about one person baking the bread and then everyone else want to eat it. I'll find my own deer to be proud of thanks!!!!!

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
that is what i was trying to say you just did a much better job of it.

ya, KW went to college, you can tell. English degree is finally paying off. "Dick move" is something you'll never learn in tech school.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 97
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33