3.0L Duramax Turbo Diesel

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sooo,concensus is this 3lit duramax is a good powertrain for ppl familiar with maintaining diesel engines, another key is purchasing from the right fuel depot,mom n pop small fuel outlets have low diesel fuel turn over which could lead to poor fuel quality, such as mildew in under ground holding tanks,impurities tend to grow in stagnate diesel fuel....high diesel fuel turn over such as regular diesel truck stops is something to think about.

Further,what if the feds ( biden administration) phase out diesel fuel in 2030?,hmmm.

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Anyone putting their truck on a diet is riding a thin line and that's why I caution talking about it in a public forum. Phones, e-mails, something more private is always better.

@snow - I'm more curious as to when they'll enforce emissions testing nationwide, I would think that has to happen before they just outright rid us of diesel fuel. Some states won't allow you to register your truck without an annual smog report. There will be a large shortage of emissions equipment when that day comes... Missing components aren't hard to find on a straight piped truck.

@Petras - I'm shocked you were that low in the MPG department. My aunt has a 2014 Ram 3500 CTD that consistently has averaged 18-22mpg (unloaded) on the interstate since she bought it new.

Personally, I'm in favor of putting these trucks on a diet. They run better, they get better fuel economy, and they should last longer as long as they're cared for and that's #1 for me.

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone putting their truck on a diet is riding a thin line and that's why I caution talking about it in a public forum. Phones, e-mails, something more private is always better.

@snow - I'm more curious as to when they'll enforce emissions testing nationwide, I would think that has to happen before they just outright rid us of diesel fuel. Some states won't allow you to register your truck without an annual smog report. There will be a large shortage of emissions equipment when that day comes... Missing components aren't hard to find on a straight piped truck.

@Petras - I'm shocked you were that low in the MPG department. My aunt has a 2014 Ram 3500 CTD that consistently has averaged 18-22mpg (unloaded) on the interstate since she bought it new.

Personally, I'm in favor of putting these trucks on a diet. They run better, they get better fuel economy, and they should last longer as long as they're cared for and that's #1 for me.
I forgot to add that my truck is leveled and has a little bit bigger tires than what came on it. thats probably why my fuel mileage was less than what your aunt sees. I know my uncle who has pretty much the exact same truck as me, except bone stock, was also seeing better mileage than I was.

Another thing I should probably add is that I suspect my truck has had some issues with the turbo actuator since the day I bought it. It had about 60k on it when I bought it and from day one the exhaust break has been hit or miss on if it wanted to work or not. In the last 3 months I've started to get an occasional CEL with codes pertaining to the boost control system and all research points to the turbo actuator. I'll do the fix myself, but when I do I want to pull the turbo apart and check it over to see if I should drop the $1k on the actuator, or go ahead and splurge on a new turbo setup for considerably more.

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Makes a little more sense now @Petras. I'm far from a mechanic but I do a lot of reading on the CumminsForum. The 13-18 Rams are prone to actuator failures and everything I've read on there suggests to do the City Diesel actuator upgrade. Everyone raves about how much better it is and there's no programming. Best of luck on the fix!

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
BRK....we had mandatory emission checks here in Minnesota in order to get new annual license tags every year...this phased out after a couple years,not sure why,i didnt pay attention as i always had new model year company trucks.

So,are you saying big brother is monitoring our private online conversation's?

Say it ain't so...j/k of course,good point.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Since SHITHEAD government is reading all our post I will jump in a little bit. I had a 2015 GMC 3/4 ton HD crew cab and with the help of some friends with performance shops did a lot of the said stuff we are told not to. I pull a 32' enclosed trailer and drive fast why because I do. I do not baby it and it drives and pulls like never before all positive results and since my kid wanted it with 130,000 miles he has done so much more with no regrets. I did go back to 6.2 gas because I don't pull as much anymore. Diesel at different stations can be a fun ordeal and I ran an additive all the time most with number 1 in winter. As mentioned above in reading on 3.0 in half ton really made my mind up to go back gas. My days of thunder are slipping away will just stick with street rods for now. I don't think anybody is totally wrong above and screw the government for sure.

Last edited:

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member

Sinister Diesel Emission Defeat Fine: Details​

The U.S. Justice Department recently revealed that Sinister Manufacturing – the parent company of Sinister Diesel – pleaded guilty in Federal court to two separate counts related to wilful violations of the Clean Air Act. Sinister Diesel is one of many diesel-oriented performance companies in the United States. Like many of these shops, Sinister sold devices, tuners, and software that allowed owners to convert otherwise emission-compliant trucks into coal-rolling machines that give auto enthusiasts a bad name.

Earlier this week, the company entered into a plea agreement as part of a joint investigation by the EPA and FBI. The company was charged with conspiracy to violate (CAA) and defraud the United States, as well as a second VAA violation for “tampering with the monitoring device” of emission control systems for diesel trucks. If you didn’t know, the Clean Air Act prohibits anyone from manufacturing or selling devices that bypass or defeat emission control devices. This isn’t anything new, as the EPA has gone after several companies that sell tuning machines that fit this bill. It has even levied penalties against TV hosts like Discovery’s Diesel brothers. So, the fact that another company has gotten nailed for this crime either shows that people aren’t paying attention or don’t care.

While Sinister noted that its products were intended for “racing” and off-road use only, prosecutors stated the company knew most of its products were being sold with the intention of being used on the road. Between October 2015 and July 2017, Sinister’s sales data indicates that it sold nearly 36,000 defeat devices that turned off a vehicle’s EGY system. That means up to 25% of the company’s revenue was from its defeated products alone at one point in time. Sinister agreed to pay $500,000 for the civil and criminal counts against it as part of the agreed-upon settlement – totaling $1 million. Hopefully, this serves as yet another warning to companies that have the potential to meet the same fate as the EPA continues to crack down on violators of the Clean Air Act.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Damn government wants to crack down on all go fast stuff, make more power, and to much noise too God forbid. Don't think couple of my street rods would pass emission shit either. Kinda like guns when will it end. I know for fact ole diesel no way in hell does oh well don't care.

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
Makes a little more sense now @Petras. I'm far from a mechanic but I do a lot of reading on the CumminsForum. The 13-18 Rams are prone to actuator failures and everything I've read on there suggests to do the City Diesel actuator upgrade. Everyone raves about how much better it is and there's no programming. Best of luck on the fix!
Thanks for bringing up that city diesel actuator. I'm gonna order that probably this week and just get it done before the damned thing completely shits out. If I don't, with my luck, it'll completely shit the bed when I go down to E3 for the elk opener and I'll be screwed lol. Thats a pretty awesome price and to not have to "rent" a calibration tool for $150 like I've seen from some of the online places that sell this part, is awesome.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah but they have the lightning that the Ford CEO struggled to get from Palo Alto to Vegas….so they got that going for them….which is nice.
Did you see the article about a Winnipeg family that left theirs in the Twin Shitties on a trip to the east coast? Not exactly what I would call a ringing endorsement of the Lightning.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wifes Doctor see works with in Bismarck order Ford Lighting like year and half ago. Like $130k and is always broke down.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Wifes Doctor see works with in Bismarck order Ford Lighting like year and half ago. Like $130k and is always broke down.
I work with two people that have the Lighting and they cant say enough good things about them. The one guy said the only thing he has did is put washer fluid in it. He commutes 60 miles per day and plugs in at work everyday. Both said they had a little over 100,000.00 in them.

I guess it who you talk to

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
I work with two people that have the Lighting and they cant say enough good things about them. The one guy said the only thing he has did is put washer fluid in it. He commutes 60 miles per day and plugs in at work everyday. Both said they had a little over 100,000.00 in them.

I guess it who you talk to
Someone should tell the Ford CEO. He struggled making a 570 mile “cross country” trip from Palo Alto to Las Vegas.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Someone should tell the Ford CEO. He struggled making a 570 mile “cross country” trip from Palo Alto to Las Vegas.
I suspect some of that is in compatibility issues with Tesla's charging network. I don't know the details, but I read recently that Ford signed some agreement with Tesla to make it easier to recharge Ford electrics.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
The guys I know that have them really like them. Just don't pump DEF into the fuel tank. Expensive mistake one of the guys made, but his insurance covered it. Farmer umbrella always helps with that big premium every year.

Wirehair

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for comments / feedback on 3.0 L Duramax! Purchased 2023 Sierra in August and have approx 2k miles so far. Average mileage from time of purchase is 28.4. Majority of driving so far is highway at ~80mph. Planning on spending a couple of days on Sak next week so will be interesting to see what towing will do. First time diesel owner other than tractor @ farm. As a Costco member, any concerns regarding using Costco diesel? Costco suggests that their diesel products meet Top Tier standards.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84